System #12 (reQuest, Aerius i, Theater i, Descent)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that the size of the Requests should be relaunched because my new Odysseys are the same width as my old SL3 and the Acsents. Then again maybe the Prodigys were the replacement of the Requests. Which are wider the Prodigys or the Requests?

Last edited:
I agree that the size of the Requests should be relaunched because my new Odysseys are the same width as my old SL3 and the Acsents. The again maybe the Prodigys were this. Which is wider?

I have read this 4X and I STILL don't understand what you are trying to say! Do you guys speak a different language in So Cal? IF you question is are Prodigy panels wider than Odyssey then YES, the Prodigy are VERY WIDE! I don't know how they compare to Requests though.

If you are asking something else then I TOTALLY missed it...

Pcar928fan, Cool down man ;) I was asking about the Requests and the Prodigys. I am guessing that the Ascents replace the SL3's and the Prodigys replaced the Requests. The Odysseys are the odd ball, let alone what ever happen to the Monolith size. I edited the question in the reply above.

Last edited:
I agree that the size of the Requests should be relaunched because my new Odysseys are the same width as my old SL3 and the Acsents. Then again maybe the Prodigys were the replacement of the Requests. Which are wider the Prodigys or the Requests?

After looking through both owners manuals online, the reQuest is a tad wider at 19 inches. The Prodigy is 16 1/2 inches wide. The panel height is also taller on the reQuest.

It would be really cool if they did re launch the reQuest but this time using their new XStat technology and possibly powered subs? This of course will probably not happen, but it would be really something if they did. Can you imagine? The soundstage on it would be amazing!

Seth

After looking through both owners manuals online, the reQuest is a tad wider at 19 inches. The Prodigy is 16 1/2 inches wide. The panel height is also taller on the reQuest.

Those are REALLY BIG then! I know how massive my Prodigy are and I have only been up next to Quest, Quest Z, ReQuest once and not for very long (did not hear them played at all) and I knew they were BIG, but I didn't realize they were THAT BIG! WOW!

Yeah these reQuests are HUGE. Besides the monstrously large Statement E2, the only ML larger than the Quest line is the Monolith. But for the size of my listening room they are the perfect size. Music through them has spoiled me so much that I can't imagine listening to music on any other speaker. The imaging on these speakers is incredible!

I guess this is what I was trying to get at: Lets compare Martin Logan speaker size or price points to cars. Remember the Ford Mustang from 1964 to 1973? You could see the development of the same style car with a small size increase, then in 1974 Ford came out with the Mustang II. It was not like the Mustang at all, almost an over grown Pinto. Of coarse the Mustang came back as a retro muscle car. Then there was the Thunderbird, a small 2 door sports car of the late 1950's, by the late 1960's it was the same size as a LTD. A few years ago they went back to the small sport car look. It seems that car companies call a certain model a name and the car can change to the extreme. Of coarse there is always car's like the Corvette that will always be the same type of sports car.

Martin Logan seems to keep a semi-name basis within a certain size speaker. I remember that my SL3 was a mid-model, the newer model (the last model) had different posts on the back. Yet the SL3 came from the Sequel II, which came from the Sequel, just as the Request came from the Quest...etc...then around the turn of the century a whole new series came out. The Ascent continues the size and price point of the Sequel / SL3 line, while the Prodigy is vastly different from the Request. The Odyssey is a mix of the Sequel / SL3 line size with Prodigy technology. Then theres those speakers with the "I"s :) Once the company changed hands they came out with totally different model names and styles. Can the Request be bought back? Maybe its size but as someone already stated: the new higher models have come out with powered subs. Therefore there will always be something beautiful and stylish about the Request, but technology moves on as well as the names.

Last edited:
John,

I totally understand what you're getting at. Your analogy about the Ford Mustangs is a great way of describing your point. Same name on the cars but "totally" re-designed over the years. And you're right, the only thing the Mustang II has in common with it's predecessors is the name. It does look like a glorified Pinto.

But your right, the Quest line basically all shared the same look with the Quest Z and later the reQuest using newer technology. But once the Odyssey and Prodigy made the scene, their designs were radically different. So I see what your saying, a certain size and style of ML has a different name. And once a new design comes out it's a totally different speaker that only has the "Martin Logan" name and electrostatic heritage in common. But like you, I'm curious as to which ML model was the successor to the reQuest?

Was it the Prodigy? Hmm interesting. I know that the Aerius i was replaced with the Aeon and Aeon i.

Now with the introduction of the Vista and Summit, their styles are once again totally re-designed. The new Summits don't look anything like the Prodigy, and the Vista doesn't look anything like the Odyssey. If at some point Martin Logan does release a model with as large of a stat panel as the reQuest, but utilizing their new XStat technology and built in powered subs, I wonder how radically different they would look?

Seth

.................or something to think about.

The new Xstat design was made to deliver the same size "wide range dispersion" of the older style within a smaller size panel with greater efficiency. Also raising the WAF factor for the speaker designs and there by selling more product to enable ML to stay in business and further the tecchnology.

Just a thought:eek:

Jeff:cool:

.................or something to think about.

The new Xstat design was made to deliver the same size "wide range dispersion" of the older style within a smaller size panel with greater efficiency.

Yep, you are totally right about that. I was just saying "what if" they were to make a ML speaker with a stat panel the size of the reQuest, but using XStat technology. My oh my can you imagine the dispersion range it would have? That coupled with built in BalancedForce subs, that would be one serious speaker!

But something like that just wouldn't even pass the WAF;). But for single guys like me it would be friggin' awesome!:D

Seth

Wild, I hadn't heard about the CLX panels. Technology always moving forward :)

Seth, where have you been?! Maybe you are a late arrival. We have talked about them a lot in the past. Should be a pretty cool speaker. It will be interesting to see where it is priced...

Back