System #101 (Summit X)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi George,

Good lookin setup.

Once you get things dialed in, you might want to try adjusting the panel azimuth so that it's close to 90 degrees from the floor. Looks like they are a bit slanted "back" from the pictures.

Happy listening.

GG

It's an optical illusion, they are set at 90 deg.

Beautiful setup and room. I'm jealous at the serenity your room demonstrates, uncluttered, spacious, natural textures, and warm colors. Very nice! But at least I'm a little gratified you have a snake-pit of cables behind your equipment rack too :D I need a couple of shoji screens to hidethe mess that's visible from the sides of my equipement stand.

I find it very interesting that ML has now for the Summit X done away with 2 sets of binding posts. I guess if they really believe bi-wiring is superfluous, then they should only supply one set. Saves on jumper costs anyway. But then most of us probably have a bi-wired cable from older models. Oh well, onwards and upwards! Enjoy your X's!!

you might want to try adjusting the panel azimuth so that it's close to 90 degrees from the floor.

You know Gordon, IMO, that adj is directly related to how "tall" one sits in their listening chair, I like to position ear level with a perpindicular line drawn just above the mid point of the ESL panel.

Its the angle of the dangle that is directionally proportionate to the heat of the meat which effects the sag of the bag !

Nice system. :rocker:

this may be a stupid question but why does ML make such a backward rake on the panels when you have to raise the back end up so high to get them at 90degrees????

I am not familiar with the newer panels spire, summit ect that seem to have this backward rake angle

Thanks, Larry

You know Gordon, IMO, that adj is directly related to how "tall" one sits in their listening chair, I like to position ear level with a perpindicular line drawn just above the mid point of the ESL panel.

Dave,

Totally agreed. You have the chair height as well as the height of the listener. In my case, my ear height is 1" above the vertical center of the panel. Works quite well IMHO.

Back to the thread. How do they sound George?

Larry, to answer your question, I believe the idea for the backward tilt is to create a tall vertical dispersion so if one is standing, the high frequencies don't drop off.
GG

Last edited:
Okay thanks Gordon

how many people stand and listen to their speakers ??

my guess most people listen from a sitting position 90% and that is how they should position the panels

It seems backwards to me:confused:

George the room and setup look fantastic congrats on the new purchase I hope you enjoy

Last edited:
As promised, here are a few photos I took tonight of my Summit Xs.

A great looking system in a nicely appointed room. I also noted that you are mating them with a Pass Labs front end. I think that is a marriage made in heaven for the M-Ls

I’ve just installed a Balance Power Technologies BP-3.5 Signature Plus “Power Regenerator” today. You can see a pic of it in my Member Systems page.

WOW! Right off the bat I find the music is more coherent as if a thin Veil has been lifted out of the way. The lows in the passages were so deep like a bottom less pit and so seductive. The sound stage has expanded a bit while providing spectacular imaging. Even the depth of field had increased while enhancing the 3 dimensionality aspect of the sound stage. I even find the bass extensions have more authority and coherence.

Interesting thing is before the BP-3.5 Signature Plus was installed I found the best time to listen to my 2CH system was late at night due to the power grid not being tasked as much and less noise induced which allows your equipment to perform better. Now with the Power Regenerator I get that GREAT performance 24/7. :music:

Last edited:
I just put up new fresh photos today. I took my sweet time this time and used a tripod. I set my aperture a bit small so I can aquire real sharp images with decent depth to it. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Last edited:
Here is advice for people who have no choice but to have their listening location against a wall like I do. I was experiencing slight fragmentation to the upper mid to higher frequencies like horns and female vocals. Sometime it offset the center stage a bit. I had a somewhat large rug hanging from the wall behind the seating area which was reducing some reflection off the wall but not enough. I ended up replacing the rug with 3 24”x48” ATS acoustic panels to minimize the reflection. All I can say is WOW! It's like the wall disappeared. The center stage just popped in place and is as stable as could be. Also both imaging and width of the sound stage has increased. Also the sound stage is much more coherent and balanced. I added a photo that shows the listening area so you can see the setup with the ATS panels. This is one tweak that’s worth a million to me! Happy Listening! :music:

Last edited:
Hi George,
I have a question for you. I noticed those brass cones on your equipment. They look similar to a product offered by Virtual dynamics. They use them as you have on top of equipment and on the walls as well. You can see a video of it on their site.

I noticed the brass unit on your amp is different from the ones on the rest of your equipment in the rack??
Where did you get them and what are their purpose.Hey, love your system!!!
Cheers, Greg

Last edited:
Just curious about what is the purpose putting a round golden color metal weight on the top as i can see those in your system pic posted here. Please forgive my foolish question. I am just a newbie and would like to learn more. thx

All the brass damper pieces are from a company called edenSound www.vermontaudio.com which can custom build brass dampers and spikes to your need. The brass dampers are designed to provide resonance control so that any vibration either from outside the case or internal will have a demised effect on the sound. Each damper has a cork layer underneath because you do not want metal against metal which could cause vibration. Another words trying to acquire a more pure clean sound out of the equipment it’s used for by reducing the equipment resonance effects. Try just lightly tapping the top of one of your equipment like a pre or CDP and listen for the sound it makes. Now, lay one hand on top of the unit and tap again. Your notice the sound has been reduced which demises the effect of resonance both internal and external.

Last edited:
Back