Switching Fast Blow for Slow Blow Fuse?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Excite23

Reaction score
Hi all..

Would switching from a Fast Blow fuse to a Slow Blow fuse (same voltage, amperage, and size) damage my PS Audio HCA-2. I know that a fast blow fuse usually blows in milliseconds and a slow blow in a few seconds. Will adding a slow blow damage other components inside the amp?

Also are there any hi end fuses out there that I can use... (5A 5x20mm 250v)

Any info would be great...

Regards
Tom

Would switching to fast blow ceramic fuse work better then the original glass fuse, or should I stay away from that as well...

At higher volumes the HCA-2 connected to the Aerius i's kept faulting. It happened four times in a matter of a few hours, and then yesterday I started it up at a lower volume and one of the channels fuses blew. The HCA-2 outputs 225W per channel which should be enough for those speakers.

At first I was plugging the HCA-2 into my power conditioner, and then changed it to directly in the wall ( which I thought sounded better). The wiring in my house is only about two years old so I'm not sure its that.

Any suggestions to what might be happening...

Your MLs are falling below 4 ohms and your amp is seeing it as a short or just can’t handle the current. IMO

Would switching to fast blow ceramic fuse work better then the original glass fuse, or should I stay away from that as well...

At higher volumes the HCA-2 connected to the Aerius i's kept faulting. It happened four times in a matter of a few hours, and then yesterday I started it up at a lower volume and one of the channels fuses blew. The HCA-2 outputs 225W per channel which should be enough for those speakers.

At first I was plugging the HCA-2 into my power conditioner, and then changed it to directly in the wall ( which I thought sounded better). The wiring in my house is only about two years old so I'm not sure its that.

Any suggestions to what might be happening...

Paul McGowan of PS Audio used to have Odesseys back in the HCA-2 days, so he's had a bit of experience with MLs with his amps. Sounds like you might have an amp issue. I would post a question over on PS Audio's forum. He most likely will personally respond to you.

Back