surround height

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
I am going to use a pair of scripts for my sides on a 7.1 system, question how high should i mount them? right now they are on stands and are at the manufacturers recommended height of 20". thanks

I am going to use a pair of scripts for my sides on a 7.1 system, question how high should i mount them? right now they are on stands and are at the manufacturers recommended height of 20". thanks

Generally, about ear level is optimal.

Panels should generally be centered around the level of the seated head, and in such a manner that the seat-backs to not 'shade' the direct sound from the panel.

This typically implies a much higher position than one might use if they were in front of the listener.

I agree with JonFo, there should be nothing but air between your ears and the speaker. If however your seat back is below ear level then the speaker should ideally be around ear level. I chose my listening chair for comfort but also to not block any speakers as well.

87766.jpg

How close can the panels be to the sides of a couch? I have traditional dipoles up near the ceiling to avoid being less then 3 feet away. Scripts or the new efx would be less than 3' from the closest listener.

How close can the panels be to the sides of a couch? I have traditional dipoles up near the ceiling to avoid being less then 3 feet away. Scripts or the new efx would be less than 3' from the closest listener.

I don't think there is a "maximum/minimum" distance. Ideally the distance to the side should be roughly the distance to the fronts and backs. Also, the listeners should be centered so it's more of a ratio issue than an absolute distance problem. Remember, if a listener is twice the distance from one speaker than the other, then the perceived volume will be 4 times as loud on the closer speaker! Being equidistant from the speakers minimize the need for amplitude calibration on the receiver/preamp side and decreases distortion.

Near field vs Far field effects in a small long room I.e 8 feet from l,c,r. No way to be more than 2.5 feet away at ear height from surrounds ins a 14x16 room with couch 3.5 feet from rear walls.??

Near field vs Far field effects in a small long room I.e 8 feet from l,c,r. No way to be more than 2.5 feet away at ear height from surrounds ins a 14x16 room with couch 3.5 feet from rear walls.??

Wow, that's going to be difficult. Is there a way to move that couch up closer to the front to minimize the discrepancy from the fronts to the rears? Being 2.5 ft away from one speaker vs 8 from another means that those close speakers will be around 8-9 times as loud without any amplitude adjustment! I think there is minimal things you can do about the surrounds although you said the room is 14x16. If the surrounds are on the wall, how wide is your seating, 9 feet? Maybe doing two rows of "slimmer seating" and that way people on the sides are not sitting as close to the surround speakers. And once again, moving the seating up and try to equalize distance from front and back? You may want to throw up some pictures of the room and people can give some better suggestions.

Panels should generally be centered around the level of the seated head, and in such a manner that the seat-backs to not 'shade' the direct sound from the panel.

This typically implies a much higher position than one might use if they were in front of the listener.

Yup, my rear surrounds are just a bit higher than ear level...because my seatback is fairly high.

Back