Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lucinda Williams - West.
I thought she was Country, until I heard a cut from this album yesterday.
Very cool album, very well recorded, too.

Attachments

• West.jpg
    West.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 149
Tody it was The Why Store ....Live at Midnight.....

Attachments

• Why store.jpg
    Why store.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 140
Yesterday it was:

Idea of North
"Here and now"

Fantastic Australian Jazz-a cappella group....

Attachments

• i.jpg
    i.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 137
Just finished putting up the last of the acoustic treatments in my room, so time to sit back and enjoy an awesome sound system to my favorite style: Progressive rock

Therefore none better than a prog tribute by a great prog keyboardist, Jordan Rudess

The album "The Road Home" is great, especially the intro track, a cover of Genesis 'Selling England by the pound' classic: Dance on a volcano. Impressive Sonics on this version.

And it wraps with a 22 minute version of ELP's 'Tarkus' that is to die for. Better have a good sub, as it will get a workout. :cool:

Note to Lugano: You’ll positively love this one.

Attachments

• the_road_home_270.jpg
    the_road_home_270.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 112
Found this in my collection. This is some very good 70’s like funk. Beastie Boys The In Sound from Way Out.

Attachments

• 41EDA05E61L__AA240_.jpg
    41EDA05E61L__AA240_.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 187
Jaw dropping from a panel of 70+ year music listeners and enjoyers is not common, but this CD will do this and more.

Believe me. Please do.

and if you still don't, read here:

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/details/67569.asp

HYPERION CDA67569

Alkan_Hamelin_CDA67569.jpg
I just received the CD, and started listening to it. The 1st movement of the concerto has some very nice lyrical pieces in it, but then the music trots off in all directions, then back to another lyrical piece. I found it somewhat disconcerting. I stopped listening to the 2nd movement after a couple of minutes; it was just too agitated and lacked the strength and direction I enjoy in Beethoven. Guess I'm too much of Beethoven fan to really enjoy it; perhaps with repeated listening ?

I just received the CD, and started listening to it. The 1st movement of the concerto has some very nice lyrical pieces in it, but then the music trots off in all directions, then back to another lyrical piece. I found it somewhat disconcerting. I stopped listening to the 2nd movement after a couple of minutes; it was just too agitated and lacked the strength and direction I enjoy in Beethoven. Guess I'm too much of Beethoven fan to really enjoy it; perhaps with repeated listening ?

Repeated listening might help, indeed. However, if you want the strength and direction of Beethoven, why not listen to Beethoven then? Alkan is as far away from Beethoven as Liszt or Chopin are.

Repeated listening might help, indeed. However, if you want the strength and direction of Beethoven, why not listen to Beethoven then? ............
It sounded like an interesting disc, and I wanted to expand my musical horizons. But I guess old habits (preferences) die hard...or not at all in my case it seems. :eek:

Today it was Vika and Linda - Between two shores. I don't listen to pop too much, but this is more earthy/gospel/rootsy music. Very harsh vocals, but still sounds amazing.

Attachments

• vl.jpg
    vl.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 154
Oh, and just after posting on "Favourite Ivory tinkler" I put on Jessica Williams - All Alone - Damn this is a good one......

Attachments

• jw.jpg
    jw.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 156
It sounded like an interesting disc, and I wanted to expand my musical horizons. But I guess old habits (preferences) die hard...or not at all in my case it seems. :eek:

It has been my experience that repeated listening are definitely needed when listening to music outside our comfort zone. Cage, Schoenberg, Hard Bop, and others all required multiple listens before I got it. Continue to listen tothe piece and I'm sure you'll come to at least appreciate it and possibly love it.

Donavon Frankenreiter, Donavon Frankereiter: Anyone who likes Jack Johnson should enjoy this disk.

Matt Costa, Unfamiliar Faces

This first one is from a recommendation from JLustig that goes way back. I finally got a chance to buy it this past week:

Attachments

• Frankenreiter.jpg
    Frankenreiter.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 147
  • matt costa.jpg
    matt costa.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 130
It's been a few weeks since I've been able to post on a Sunday morning - I've got some catching up to do.

Last week it was Tchaikovsky's "Serenade for Strings" on a new Cisco pressing; the Modern Jazz Quartet on an older MoFi; Radiohead's newest "In Rainbows" on a standard issue (but nice thick slab) pressing that sounds great; and finally Marc Broussard's great new effort "SOS (Save Our Soul)" on a little silver disc thingy. If you are a fan of Soul music at all go buy this one TODAY. This guys got a voice tailor made for this material. It's mostly covers of classic Soul songs, but there is one original too (the last track on the disc), that absolutely sounds like it could have come out of the 60's Soul archives. Great stuff!

Attachments

• TchMJQRadioBroussard.jpg
    TchMJQRadioBroussard.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 127
Today I started out with Haydn "The Creation" (Di Schopfung) on an older Phillips pressing that I hadn't listened to in quite some time. Intoxicating!

Followed that up with Le Segunda "Sera Una Noche", a disc that's been in heavy rotation on my turntable lately. It's a collection of Tengo music on the ma recordings label recorded in all analog in an old abondoned church. I need to write up a full review for the Recommended Recordings section, but let me just say that this is absolutely one of the finest recordings I have in my collection. This is the stuff of audiophile legend I assure you, and the kicker is that it is absolutely amazing MUSIC to boot. I believe it's also available as a hybrid SACD. Search this one out and BUY it. If you don't like it and find it one of the most amazing mesmerizing records in your collection I'll eat my hat!:eek:

Attachments

• Haydn.jpg
    Haydn.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 131
  • le segunda2.jpg
    le segunda2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 128
Le Segunda "Sera Una Noche", a disc that's been in heavy rotation on my turntable lately. It's a collection of Tengo music on the ma recordings label recorded in all analog in an old abondoned church. I need to write up a full review for the Recommended Recordings section, but let me just say that this is absolutely one of the finest recordings I have in my collection. This is the stuff of audiophile legend I assure you, and the kicker is that it is absolutely amazing MUSIC to boot. I believe it's also available as a hybrid SACD. Search this one out and BUY it. If you don't like it and find it one of the most amazing mesmerizing records in your collection I'll eat my hat!:eek:

Mr "B", good morning ! I will do as you say, now, if for some reason I don't like it do want some ketchup for that hat !!

Mr "B", good morning ! I will do as you say, now, if for some reason I don't like it do want some ketchup for that hat !!

No, just a little melted cheese please ;)

Dave, get it on vinyl and prepare a nice margarita to sip while you kick back and listen. You'll be impressed I assure you.:eek:

It's been a few weeks since I've been able to post on a Sunday morning - I've got some catching up to do.

Last week it was Tchaikovsky's "Serenade for Strings" on a new Cisco pressing; the Modern Jazz Quartet on an older MoFi; Radiohead's newest "In Rainbows" on a standard issue (but nice thick slab) pressing that sounds great; and finally Marc Broussard's great new effort "SOS (Save Our Soul)" on a little silver disc thingy. If you are a fan of Soul music at all go buy this one TODAY. This guys got a voice tailor made for this material. It's mostly covers of classic Soul songs, but there is one original too (the last track on the disc), that absolutely sounds like it could have come out of the 60's Soul archives. Great stuff!

Great stuff all. The Radiohead is their most accessible album since The Bends IMO. The Tchaikovsky is beautiful music beautifully recorded. The MJQ, what more needs to be said?

I started with Bob Segers "Greatest Hits" Vol I and moved on to Some Telarc "Star Tracks and Jurasic Lunch, to test the new subs capabilities. Then I went to The BAND, 'Greatest Hits'

Back