Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning becomes eclectic!

A varied selection this morning. The latest Jack Johnson: Sleep Through the Static(CD); Bob Marley: Survival (V); Dire Straits: Dire Straits (V); and Amy Winehouse: Back to Black (CD)

Attachments

• Post.jpg
    Post.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 155
Well, the day is not as nice as last weekend. It's rainy, steamy, muggy, cloudy and downright hot!

Great morning to crank up the air conditioning and listen.....

The Catholics - Simple
Eva Cassidy - Live at Blues Alley
Adrian Cunningham - In Motion

Now Adrian Cunningham is a fantastic musician/composer/friend with whom I happened to go to school. He's heading off to New York for an extended stay next month, so if you happen to be able to see him perform, DO SO!

Attachments

• ac in motion.jpg
    ac in motion.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 144
  • ec.jpg
    ec.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 141
  • simple.jpg
    simple.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
DF2FB8AAB3C14893A4C82DBD0FDAD5D7.jpg

When John Coltrane was asked, "Why a ballads album?", he said "Variety." Meaning a change of pace. And perhaps he wanted to apprise those who haven't discovered that he can be lyrical.

John played the tunes straight, in the in-choruses, unless you count his lovely phrase endings as deviations from melody. When the development occurred, he made his musical points quickly and succinctly. I'd never heard him play this tightly.

- Gene Lees
(Excerpted from the original liner notes for Ballads)

I have the 180g vinyl...man, that record finished in no time.

von Karajan's 7th and the 5th from 61/62 this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 115
DF2FB8AAB3C14893A4C82DBD0FDAD5D7.jpg

When John Coltrane was asked, "Why a ballads album?", he said "Variety." Meaning a change of pace. And perhaps he wanted to apprise those who haven't discovered that he can be lyrical.

John played the tunes straight, in the in-choruses, unless you count his lovely phrase endings as deviations from melody. When the development occurred, he made his musical points quickly and succinctly. I'd never heard him play this tightly.

- Gene Lees
(Excerpted from the original liner notes for Ballads)

I have the 180g vinyl...man, that record finished in no time.
\

Brilliant playing, it is commonly believed that 'Trane did this album to silence his critics. The were mostly silent afterwards.

von Karajan's 7th and the 5th from 61/62 this morning.
I like those two as well. But in the 6th HvK sounds like he's in a hurry to get to his next appointment - really fast tempi. I prefer the Bohm/VPO for it; it's the best I have heard (I have 4 or 5 recordings of the 6th).

Last edited:
The Coltrane album mentioned above had me pull out my pressing of "John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman". After that it was an original Linn pressing of The Blue Nile's "A Walk Across the Rooftops". Feeling nostalgic after that so I pulled out Prefab Sprout's "Two Wheels Good" (a true desert island disc for me), and now I'm listening to CD's and the self titled "Supreme Beings of Leisure".

Attachments

• Coltrane&Hartman.jpg
    Coltrane&Hartman.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Blue Nile.jpg
    Blue Nile.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Prefab Sprout.jpg
    Prefab Sprout.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 120
  • SBOL.jpg
    SBOL.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 117
It was an MLO inspired listening session this morning -

Xavier Rudd - To Let
Julia Fordham - That's life
Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing.

Attachments

• jf.jpg
    jf.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 93
  • sm.jpg
    sm.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 94
  • zr.jpg
    zr.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 94
Fighting off the flu, so I had a nice relaxing session on vinyl this morning. Started off with Jacintha's "Autum Leaves" on a great Groove Note pressing. Followed that with Ellington's "Jazz Party in Stereo" - a real demonstration disc. After that I listened to a MoFi UHQR of Solti conducting the LPO on Holst's "Planets". Such amazing packaging on those UHQR's! I just finished off with one of the slabs from the Beatles MoFi box set that was discussed in a thread earlier this week - this one was "Rubber Soul". Starting to feel better already.

Attachments

• JacEllingHolstBeatles.jpg
    JacEllingHolstBeatles.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Since we're having a house built, it seems every Sunday morning lately I've been in Austin. The bright side is that I stop at Waterloo Records and buy a few. I just finished listening to two of the ones I bought today. First up was the MoFi version of "Santana". Next was the Classic Records 200 gram version of "Something Else". I'm loving all these reissues that are coming out. Most of the ones I've listened to sound great!

258419752_kxUxH-S.jpg

Two outstanding CD’s!! First is “Kashmir Symphonic Led Zeppelin” the second is Herbie Hanock Rivers the Joni letters. Check these out if you get a chance. The Herbie Hanock CD was a very present surprise.

Pleace add a "C" in Herbie's last name afer the "n".

Attachments

• 9b5ce893e7a067e0cdf35110_L.jpg
    9b5ce893e7a067e0cdf35110_L.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 181
  • 51qK36dUJXL__AA240_.jpg
    51qK36dUJXL__AA240_.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
I've just inserted a significant analog upgrade to the system in the form of the VPI SDS, so it's been an all analog morning so far for me. Started off with the Grieg "Holberg Suite, Op.40" on a Japanese Denon pressing. Followed that with the PHENOMINAL Paco Pena and his group on a Phase 4 presssing of "Flamenco Puro "Live". Presently enjoying a Classic reissue of Duke Ellington and Johnny Hodges "Side by Side".

Attachments

• HolbergPenaElingHodges.jpg
    HolbergPenaElingHodges.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 178
I also just took a pause from vinyl for a while to listen to this little jem I'd picked up earlier in the week - Shelby Lynne's latest effort "Just a Little Lovin" a solid tribute to Dusty Springfield.

If you think of it as Shelby trying to DO Dusty you'll likely be dissappointed, but if you think of it as Shelby pulling together a solid album of vocal interpretations that just happen to all be songs that Dusty Springfield made famous (save for one original), you'll likely enjoy it for the wonderful collection of songs that it is. It is incredibly well recorded in an intimate space with minimalist effect by both her backing musicians and the recording style. It sounds FABULOUS on the Martin Logans. I hope it comes out on vinyl soon - I've heard it's already being considered for the full audiophile treatment. Recommended!

Attachments

• Lynne-Lovin.jpg
    Lynne-Lovin.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 183
Today was both audio and video day.

Played the Eagles: Farwell tour - Live in Melbourne

51W6uDPfxoL._AA240_.jpg

I used the HD-DVD version, with absoultely clean 1080 video and a high-bit rate DTS surround track. The audio was pristine and was rocking the house today.

Very well engineered for a live show.

So how is it Wayne? I have yet to purchase it.

Bob,
Haven't watched either of the DVD's but have been listening to the CD in my car since Wednesday. The CD is 16 tracks of live recordings with many of the songs from Innocence. But tracks from just about every album, It's just Luka and his guitar, "Rainbow Day" is great and is much more up tempo than the version on Between the Mountain and the Moon. I liked the track "Lebanon" much more than the version on "Tribe". New to me was the 15th track "Don't Be Afraid of the Light that Shines Within You" very good tune must be on a release I don't have of his. Bob being a Luka fan I know you'll enjoy it.

Bob,
Haven't watched either of the DVD's but have been listening to the CD in my car since Wednesday. The CD is 16 tracks of live recordings with many of the songs from Innocence. But tracks from just about every album, It's just Luka and his guitar, "Rainbow Day" is great and is much more up tempo than the version on Between the Mountain and the Moon. I liked the track "Lebanon" much more than the version on "Tribe". New to me was the 15th track "Don't Be Afraid of the Light that Shines Within You" very good tune must be on a release I don't have of his. Bob being a Luka fan I know you'll enjoy it.

Sounds like it's a good one. It's on my list, but just haven't got to it yet.

You got Tribe too, I see. Different isn't it...

Latest posts

Back