Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't posted my Sunday morning listen in a long while, but damn I had a good one this morning!

Naomi Sunderland - Red Dirt Road (Track 11 goes OFF!)
Catherine Hunter - Dream Maker
Alanis Morisette - Jagged Little Pill (Acoustic)

Attachments

• ns.jpg
    ns.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 264
  • ch.jpg
    ch.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 266
  • am.jpg
    am.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 269
Sunday, Jan. 17.

07:30 am - Lyle Lovett The road to Ensenada track 7 "promises" is sounding
especially detailed this morning.

07:45 am - Tracy Chapman Tracy Chapman (1988)

I look forward to listening early in the day, while my ears are still fresh.
I'm the only one home, and there is a hot pot of coffee on, freshly ground beans of course!!!:D

Terry.

First up was Kat Edmonson, "Take To The Sky". She has a unique and pretty voice and the songs are very nice. Her voice and phrasing suggest a cross between Peggy Lee and Madeleine Peyroux.
766608896_V5sMC-L.jpg

Next up was "Groovy", Red Garland Trio with Paul Chambers and Art Taylor. Jazz fans need no introduction to these three, as they have all led their own bands and played on many many albums. This copy is an Analogue Productions 45rpm and sounds wonderful.
766608958_86wNx-L.jpg

Found this great CD at a used music store last week... Joe Cool's Blues... Wynton (and his talented siblings) and their father Ellis, playing the music of Vince Guaraldi. Perfect mellow jazz for a Sunday morning!

Attachments

• joecoolsblues.JPG
    joecoolsblues.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 186
Kinda all over the place with the next few entries, mostly due to a new aquisition to my arsenal...an ARC CD-7. Genesis always sounded great on my system, but not the way I felt it with the new CD player. Some real nice bass to be felt (besides heard) in the lower octave that my old player never reproduced. I actually felt the chair I was sitting in vibrate as well as the shirt against me!

Soft Machine 5 is a great disc to listen to if your into fusion jazz with Phil Howard and John Marshall on Drums as well as Roy Babbington on double bass. I find 5 much better than some of the earlier stuff they put out.

Eagles Long Road out of Eden is a real nice disc on the system too. I like the second disc more than the first in this two disc set. If you want to show your system to some friends this is a nice one to do it with. I find it is a little compressed but still sounds excellent on my system! Title track is awesome and inspiring. Very well recorded.

Attachments

• Sunday Morn Music 1_24_2010 005.jpg
    Sunday Morn Music 1_24_2010 005.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 180
  • Sunday Morn Music 1_24_2010 003.jpg
    Sunday Morn Music 1_24_2010 003.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 182
  • Sunday Morn Music 1_24_2010 004.jpg
    Sunday Morn Music 1_24_2010 004.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
It is a long, cold 37 degrees F and rainy day here in northern NJ so I spent most of the day spinning the CD's today. Here's a few more of different genres...Bob Dylans Tell Tale Signs, a two disc set, very nice. Love the track "Mississippi". There are two versions on this set, I prefer the second one on disc two. It's incredible what style he has fitting his lyrics into a song...you gotta hear this track and the rest too!

Attachments

• Sunday Morn Music 1_24_2010 002.jpg
    Sunday Morn Music 1_24_2010 002.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 179
  • Sunday Morn Music 1_24_2010 006.jpg
    Sunday Morn Music 1_24_2010 006.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 178
  • Sunday Morn Music 1_24_2010 007.jpg
    Sunday Morn Music 1_24_2010 007.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 175
First up this morning was Rickie Lee Jones, "it's like this", an Analogue Productions 45rpm reissue with great sound. Her interpretations of "Show Biz Kids" and "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys" are my favorites on this album.
777536000_DrtFK-M.jpg

Next up is one of my favorite performers, Carolyn Wonderland. I've seen her perform live twice in the last 30 days and was completely blown away each time. It's basically unfair when other bands follow her, as no one else I've seen (except perhaps Malford Milligan) has the energy and dynamic performance she has. She's one of my favorite guitar players and can belt out the vocals like Janis Joplin, only more beautifully. We're talkin' goose bumps! When she plays Johnny Winter's "Still Alive And Well", she owns it. She also plays a mean lap steel. Check her out, if you get the chance.
777535941_r7wto-M.jpg

Well... it's Saturday night here now, but I never listen on Sunday morning. From my home town, the new Massive Attack album. Really rather good and it puts them back on form. Nice SQ too. Really a rather original sounding piece. Some very nice female vocals. Quite moving in places. Definately good stuff.

Heligoland

Make sure you hear the remixes of Paradise Circus...:)

Last edited:
i never listen sundays either. right now im listening to the final edits on my recording from last night. I taped the North Mississippi Allstars @ The Aggie Theatre in Fort Collins. I ran a set of Sub-Cardioid mics dead center split 3' apart, about 25' back from the stacks (and stage) that were split about 35-40'. the stereo image is incredible. each player can be placed on stage with vocals filling in the middle. the bass is full and warm without being boomy, and luthers slide is silky, with phenomenal dynamics! my best recording of 2010 hands down. tapes like these are my carrot that dangles in front of me as i head to the next show. :music:

the subcards are the split pair and the 2 vertical large diaphragm mics are mine too, they are in a mid-side configuration.
IMG_5491.jpg

Feeling especially mellow this morning

Attachments

• cousteau.jpg
    cousteau.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 109
  • CowboyJunkies Trinity.jpg
    CowboyJunkies Trinity.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Hedges.jpg
    Hedges.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 126
nothing like some chronic in the morning to get me going :p it's amazing How these speakers can play such a range of music so well:bowdown:

Attachments

• chronic.jpg
    chronic.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 94
A couple this AM. Patty Griffin's latest release "Downtown Church", is a well recorded disc of gospel songs. Patty has a great soulful voice!

Next up was Nickel Creek "This Side" from 2002. Great newgrass/bluegrass from three adward winning musicians!

Attachments

• IMG_0474.JPG
    IMG_0474.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 235
I re-did a few things in my system, adding the Sony DVP-S9000es back into the mix as a transport only feeding my Dodson Audio DA-217 MkII DAC so that I could take advantage of all of my HDCD encoded disc's. That being said I spent the morning (and early afternoon) listening to a bunch of Reference Records stuff with said encoding. Started off with John Rutter's "Requiem" performed by the Turtle Creek Chorale and The Womens Chorus of Dallas lead by Selig. Very nice music for a Sunday morning indeed. After that came music created for Shakespeare's "Tempest" first by Sir Arthur Sullivan and then by Sibelius as performed by the Kansas City Symphony lead by Michael Stern. Right now I'm shaking the rafters with Reference's "Mephisto & Co." collection; a rousing set of orchestral spectaculars with Eiji Oue conducting the Minnesota Orchestra.

I'd almost forgotten how good these HDCD encoded disc's can sound. Certainly better than standard Redbook - nearly on par with good SACD. I wish there were more discs out there using this process. Every now and again I still find them (outside of the Reference Records stuff - they use it on all of their recordings). All of the Joni Mitchel re-issues from a few years ago featured it.

Attachments

• ReqTempMephisto.jpg
    ReqTempMephisto.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
nothing like some chronic in the morning to get me going :p it's amazing How these speakers can play such a range of music so well:bowdown:

Sweet, overall I think this is the Dr's best solo album! His best IMO is with NWA Straight Outta Compton which was truly seminal gangsta rap.

Sweet, overall I think this is the Dr's best solo album! His best IMO is with NWA Straight Outta Compton which was truly seminal gangsta rap.

I love the diversity on this forum. I've always had this image of you being the quinticential Classical and vintage Jazz music lover (my own myopic interpretation). I'm glad there are so many music lovers of all genre's present here.

I love the diversity on this forum. I've always had this image of you being the quinticential Classical and vintage Jazz music lover (my own myopic interpretation). I'm glad there are so many music lovers of all genre's present here.

Those would be my favorites styles but I listen to most everything, country excepted, and will have days when I specialize. Yesterday was all Rock and Pop with Led Zeppelin III leading the way, Donald Fagen, Paul Simon and a few others. Today it is Olympics all day long.

Back