Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enjoying the Leonard Cohen Live in London CD (full concert also available on DVD). I saw him live in Tampa a couple weeks ago... and his performance was fantastic, in fact, sounding even better than the London recording. His accompanying musicians were also superb, particularly Javier Mas (on Bandurria) and Dino Soldo (on various Sax). At age 75, with an even more gravely voice than his younger years, he still conveys music and poetry with authority. Definitely recommend seeing him in concert if you can!

Attachments

• lclondon.jpg
    lclondon.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 220
Just installed some vintage Telefunken tubes in my ARC pre. Started off the morning with a little Neil........ After the Gold Rush. Sweeeet!! D.R.

Did you get the newly remastered vinyl that just came out a week or so ago? I think I'm going to get all 4 of them (his first 4 solo albums).

Hey Tim,

I think those Neil Young remastered vinyls are being released later this month, around the 23erd. Gonna pre-order those.

I've been on a Scott LaFaro (upright bass player) tear lately. Just got the Bill Evans Trio "Sunday At The Village Vanguard" Vinyl yesterday. I just about wore out the "Waltz for Debby" vinyl copy.

Such a tragedy about Scott LaFaro. He died in a car crash ten days after they recorded "Sunday at the Village Vanguard", June 25th 1961. He was 25 years old.

Right now I'm listening to Cal Tjader sextet with Stan Getz-tenor sax, Vince Guaraldi-piano, a very young Scott LaFaro on bass, another young drummer Billy Higgins. All these musicians happened by chance to get together for a quick recording session. 3 hrs, almost all one takes. San Francisco; 1958.

Next up, The Legendary Bill Evans Trio " The 1960 Birdland Sessions featuring Paul Motian and Scott LaFaro.

Man, some of this Trio Stuff is so alive and in the moment, I can really get lost in it and it sounds new every time. Zen-Like? Dunno, not a critic, just a bass player.

Satch

The Allman Brothers Band Live at Fillmore East on Mofi Original master disk sounds wonderful this Sunday.

Attachments

• !Bb!V,y!BWk~$(KGrHqEH-CMEqu(SITCzBKt9byP!5g~~_12.jpg
    !Bb!V,y!BWk~$(KGrHqEH-CMEqu(SITCzBKt9byP!5g~~_12.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 156
I had a urge for some LOVE ! Bobby Caldwell, " Heart of Mine"

Attachments

• eda55d9c9aed09905b22c076d31fa687.jpg
    eda55d9c9aed09905b22c076d31fa687.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 122
Got in a couple this AM, started off with Patty Griffin's - Flaming Red, excellent disc with several great cuts including a personal favorite "One Big Love"

Next up was my favorite Big Head Todd and the Monsters disc Crimes of Passion!

Attachments

• IMG_0434.JPG
    IMG_0434.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 110
just picked this up last week along with the other two Nirvana lp's that where released. this sounds great I have probably listened to the cd version of this hundreds of times and was happy to hear it was released on colored vinyl.if you are a Nirvana fan I highly recommend getting this along with Nevermind & In Utero they ROCK !:guitarman::guitarman::guitarman:

Attachments

• nv2.jpg
    nv2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
just picked this up last week along with the other two Nirvana lp's that where released. this sounds great I have probably listened to the cd version of this hundreds of times and was happy to hear it was released on vinyl.if you are a Nirvana fan I highly recommend getting this along with Nevermind & In Utero they ROCK

Very high quality post - not to be ignored.

It goes :food12:, then :guiness: and then :guitarman::rocker::devil:

But that's more Friday night than Sunday morning...

I've been catching up on some of the Acoustic Sounds Blue Note releases this morning. First up was Lou Donaldson "Here 'Tis" featuring Grant Green, Baby Face Willett and David Bailey. Followed that with one of Grant Green's own efforts, the classic "Idle Moments". The sound on these 45 RPM re-masters seems to get better and better.

Right now I'm listening to Shawn Colvin's latest "Shawn Colvin Live". I got to see her years ago at the Telluride Bluegrass Festival, and there was a CD released from those concerts early on in her carreer (Shawn Colvin Live '88 - highly recommended). This set is similar, stripped down to nothing but her acoustic guitar and amazing voice. It's wonderful to hear the transformation in her voice (taking on a slightly lower register and deeper timbre) and maturity. The songs are chock full of the experiences and wisdom that came from 21 years of music making and life. Slightly darker, certainly more cynical, but none the less life affirming - well, there is a haunting version of "Sunny Came Home" which she introduces to the audience saying "After all that sensitive stuff, sometimes you just have to write a murder ballad." This is a great CD, very well recorded. If it wasn't for all of the other great songs on the disc I'd recommend it for her cover of The Talking Heads "This Must be the Place - Naive Melody" alone.

Attachments

• DonaldsonGreenColvin.jpg
    DonaldsonGreenColvin.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Very high quality post - not to be ignored.

It goes

But that's more Friday night than Sunday morning...

lol I think we have similar tastes user211. and to answer all the stupid post of whether or not the summits or spires or vantages or whatever model "CAN ROCK" or not I would say just to give Nevermind or In Utero a listen and you would no longer feel the need to post these questions. BTW i have Bleach on vinyl as well :)

lol I think we have similar tastes user211. and to answer all the stupid post of whether or not the summits or spires or vantages or whatever model "CAN ROCK" or not I would say just to give Nevermind or In Utero a listen and you would no longer feel the need to post these questions. BTW i have Bleach on vinyl as well :)

Bleach is the only one I have on CD... rest vinyl. But yeah, play Lithium at 11, then tell me MLs can't rock with a straight face...:)

During the last two weeks I've listened to the Beatles Mono Remasters. Today, I listened to, "Night Dreamer", Wayne Shorter and "Candy", Lee Morgan. Both great Blue Note albums, one 33&1/3, the other ("Candy") 45-rpm.
720997936_KUZYt-L.jpg

720997542_24dMo-L.jpg

Actually, a variation on Sun afternoon music... took my family to see the Yamato Drummers of Japan today in Clearwater. Wow! What an exhilarating performance... musically, artistically, and athletically! I was physically worn out from just watching, and can only imagine the conditioning and training this troupe endures. I've never heard/seen anything like this, and won't even try to describe their synchronized sonics. Unfortunately, it looks like this was their 2nd to last U.S. concert this year (last one is Wed in Gainesville, FL), then some Canadian and World performances. If you ever have the opportunity to see them, don't miss out. Here's their website...
http://www.yamato.jp/

I bought the Live in Mexico DVD (older performance), but, unfortunately, the audio is sub-par. Anybody know if their CD is any better, and where to order one?

Sounds like you had the best listening session of the day Alan. And the whole family got to share the sweet spot!

Back