Sunday Morning Music

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, McCoy's album can be intense, but when the melody comes forth it is more rewarding. While listening to this album, I am thinking of different landscapes and environments. For instance, I think of walking or driving in Queens or even Manhattan when listening to “Ebony Queen”. The most beautiful song on the album, at least to me, is “Valley of Life”. It takes me directly to rural Japan. I always smile while listening to it.

It's important to have a good media source in order to fully appreciate this album, as there is, as you know, an awful lot going on! His 23 ½ minute “Sahara” to me, really does express the vastness of Northern Africa. The distance of the drums in the opening few moments add to that feeling. But, I don't disagree that it does take some effort to absorb and appreciate all that occurs. And you're right on the money about the Sonny Rollins album.

Sunday morning starting very early for me. Just relaxing to Pink Floyd's Meddle by Mofi and The Beatles The Beatles (AKA The White Album) also by Mofi. Ok the one i'm listeing to is a needle drop of the Mofi album.

Attachments

• Meddle.jpg
    Meddle.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 142
  • The Beatles.jpg
    The Beatles.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 142
anybody want some mofi beatles on lp, just pm me. Getting rid of mine...

listening to the Cars on Mofi LP, sounds awesome!

More jazz...

Beautiful morning here in Round Rock. After looking at the huge hole in my backyard I played a couple of nice jazz albums. First up was the 45rpm Blue Note reissue, " 'Round About Midnight at the Cafe Bohemia", by Kenny Dorham. A wonderful album.
634495605_vD5Zp-L.jpg

Next was the equally great, "Stan Meets Chet", Stan Getz and Chet Baker. This was the new ORG "Ultimate Edition" 45rpm. It really does have great sound and I highly recommend this album.
634495673_wUHVi-L.jpg

Having left my Ipod in the car and feeling particulary lazy I went to my rack and selected one of my all time favorite female vocalists Sissel.

Attachments

• 5114X7VK66L__SS500_.jpg
    5114X7VK66L__SS500_.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 124
The new Nine Black Alps album, strictly low-fi version at http://www.nineblackalps.com/.

Never usually one to quote myself, but this really is a great album in my book, as was it's predecessor, Love/Hate. Seriously good guitar playing, I think - probably not so much technically but more from the "it really fits the mood of the song" point of view, that to me is the art of great playing.

So if you liked Nirvana's stuff, you'll like this. I actually think both of these albums are better and more consistent than the Nirvana offerings, but the vocals aren't up there with Kurt's. And lets face it - some Nirvana tracks were just completely killer good.

I'm struggling with the SQ on the 128KBps version I have as a result of a gig ticket purchase... but hey, it still rocks. Completely.:rocker:

Bach's Suites for Solo Cello Mercury SR3-9016 (Speakers Corner reissue)

Attachments

• IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 234
Lazy Sunday Morning

An extended eclectic listening session this Sunday Morning.

John Lennon ~ Lennon Legend: The Very Best of John Lennon
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers ~ Moanin'
Beck ~ Sea Change
Cars ~ Candy-O
Steve Howe Trio ~ The Haunted Melody
Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals ~ Live From Mars ~ Disc 2

Last edited:
Got in two albums today, both 45rpms from Analogue Productions. Both have terrific sound quality and excellent music. First up was, "Idle Moments", Grant Green. Note: I took the first photo without flash. The colors are more accurate on the 2nd photo.
641174438_CbD3H-L.jpg

Next was, "Shades of Redd", Freddie Redd Quintet.
641174467_qtiyh-L.jpg

Thanks Jeff. I'm finding there is a lot to like on these new 45rpm reissues. Every one, so far, has beat the sound quality on any other version I have. The only thing is, since I keep buying these reissues, I'm getting two, three or even four copies of the same album!

Hey, speaking of that, I had a senior moment and bought two of the same two Blue Notes!

If anyone's interested, I'll sell em for $30 each plus shipping. If you'd like both, $65 will cover shipping, ins and paypal. Just PM me.

The mistakes are:

Gil Melle - Patterns in Jazz and Freddie Redd - Shades of Red

I know I'm getting old now!

Attachments

• AMMJ_1517__48787__01152009122656-747.jpg
    AMMJ_1517__48787__01152009122656-747.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 188
  • AMMJ_4045__48816__01152009122657-2974.jpg
    AMMJ_4045__48816__01152009122657-2974.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 195
It's been raining on and off for the last four days here in typically hot and dry Round Rock. I played a couple of great albums today. First up was Gil Melle's, "Patterns in Jazz" (Thanks Jeff!). I thought all of the Analogue Productions Blue Notes were supposed to be in stereo, but this was mono. No worries though, as the sound was incredible. I had not heard of Gil Melle until a week or so ago and now I will be searching out other albums by him. He has a great sound with his baritone sax.
648509901_HM62E-L.jpg

Next up was a classic jazz album, "Satchmo Plays King Oliver", Louis Armstrong. This was a 33 1/3 rpm record, manufactured by Classic Records and the sound quality is phenomenal. The soundstage is very wide and the instruments have tremendous body and weight to them. I've included a couple of shots of the "Technical Data" from the rear of the album, as it was interesting to me; I hope it is to you. Of particular interest was the opinion of the manufacturer that if frequencies beyond our range of hearing were omitted, then the sound suffered. This was back in 1959! This debate continues today.

648510275_bPP5k-L.jpg

648510371_De5Hw-L.jpg

648510445_S9jfB-L.jpg

Storm Large, "Crazy Enough"...

If you dig punk/indy/edgy rock, get it NOW. This chick rocks harder than most of the male "punk" or "indy" bands out there. She makes "Green Day" sound like a bunch of pre-schoolers banging on pots and pans.

http://stormlarge.com/

And the sound quality is really good too. Pianos sound like pianos. Voices sound like voices. You can feel the drums make your tummy. This is GOOD stuff. And the song "8 Miles Wide" is one of the funniest bits of satire I've ever heard. Not only does Storm have great pipes, but she's as witty and clever as they come.

Plus, she's hotter than a $2 pistol. Woof...

And you can only get her album from CDbaby...

Attachments

• ce-album3.jpg
    ce-album3.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 153
Two very well produced CD’s by Jennifer Warnes: The Hunter and Famous Blue Raincoat.

Attachments

• jennifer-warnes-the-hunter.jpg
    jennifer-warnes-the-hunter.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 109
  • Jennifer%20Warnes-Raincoat.jpg
    Jennifer%20Warnes-Raincoat.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 120
Two very well produced CD’s by Jennifer Warnes: The Hunter and Famous Blue Raincoat.
Cherian, a test: Listen to track 5 of Famous Blue Raincoat. She ends the first "sentence" with the word "feeling." In the second "sentence" it sounds as if the last word got dropped...or do you hear anything?

The answer will be revealed during the demo here in two weeks...

This album I picked up at the Dollar Tree, for, you guessed it, $1.00. I bought it on a lark, just to see how bad it could be; boy was I surprised!:eek: More appropriately, the recordings knocked me on my behind! The solo harp tracks in particular; the violin recordings are okay. Whoever did the engineering on the harp recordings did a fantastic job. The really annoying part of the album is that no provenance is listed as to who the harpist is, and who the recording engineer / studio is.
The recordings have excellent imaging and depth. Whatever location they were made in has excellent acoustics, and really showcases what a well-played harp can do.
So there's your homework assignment folks! Run down to your nearest Dollar Tree and grab a copy! Talk about strange bedfellows, huh?:ROFL:

Attachments

• IMG_3409_1.jpg
    IMG_3409_1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 99
Back