Summits with Audio Research HD220

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hola. Go for it. Your Theos will love this amp. It has a lot of reserve power, and it can drive very low impedance easily. Very wide stage, and tons of resolution. It is a good beast!. I am still missing the tubes. My ears and liking are in favor of the tube sound. But this is my liking. I do not know if this unit needs more break in time. But I assure you that I do like what I am listening. I have this unit since about one month by now. It is the first time that I have SS with me, having a tube amp next to me on aside. I am listening all kind of music, but mostly jazz and classical. I have to tell you that I am missing the fun of the musicians playing together, a sense that I got with tube gear. I made a changed?, yes I did! Am I happy with the changed? Gee, at this point, I can not answer myself this question. I need more time to get along with its virtues and faults (very little faults)...I need more time. I will answer later on... happy listening!

It's interesting reading the comments about tube amplifiers. My first experience with tube amplifiers was of the inexpensive (read cheap) Chinese built variety. Yes, I know some expensive Chinese built tube amplifiers sounds fantastic too. But these cheaper amplifiers were very disappointing, with lots of noise and lacking dynamics and drive. I originally thought all tubes amplifiers sucked because of my early experience. Now I know what a good tube amplifier can do for electrostatics, or just about any good speaker. Unfortunately, good tube amps don't come cheap. In my custom built mono blocs, which I will be taking delivery of very soon, the output transformers costs nearly $1000 per amplifier! If I could afford a reference series power amp from Audio Research I would go for it, but the all tube option is probably too expensive, so the hybrid HD-220 is a great option.

Last edited:
i have had audio research amps from the D75, D76, D150 which i am sorry that i ever sold. I have been reading on the internet about the new HD 220 and the feeling i am getting is it sounds solid state and nothing like there all tube design. since you have electrostatics (summits) i would try to find a used one of the earlier models or later all tube desgin. The sound will be a perfect match for the Summits. You won't be sorry! good luck and happy listening.

I think that too. Audio Research is one of the best brands in the marketplace. And the HD220 is a fine amplifier. My ears are very accustomed to the tube sound. And let me tell you that before this amp, the SS amp only last in my system two or three days, now I have over a month with this HD220, and it is very easy an fun to use. I am listening all type of music, and one favor thing that I have notice is, this unit does not have any ears piercing highs. I do not get the head ache that I got with others. Please, understand that this only happens to me, not to everybody, high frequency notes, and metallic sound, makes me a head ache. With tubes, I do not get head ache at all, and I am not getting head ache with this amplifier. I am truly enjoying its sound very much. Happy listening!

Latest posts

Back