Summits are finally broken in

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil H

Reaction score
Purchased my summits Xmas Eve. I auditioned them against an ex demo pair of Prodigys and found it quite hard to choose mainly because to my ears they sounded so different.

I was initially more comfortable with the Prodigys as they sounded more similar to the Quests (that I had had for 10 years) than did the Summits. However, I finally went for the Summits because the more I listened the more I realised how pure the sound was and how non-boomy and natural was the bass.

I have been very happy with them over the past 2 months but it has been a struggle to get them into the right position. I think I have finally found the right spot as the vocals are dead centre and uncannily real.

Anyway tonight I realised that the break in period is over as they have gained an extra bit of magic that was not there before. I just finished playing a Damien Rice CD and it was stunning. If you haven't heard this CD you should get it. It goes from a whisper in some sections to extremely loud in others with Gregorian chants and opera singers etc. The Summits handled the loud and soft passages equally well and Damien Rice really seemed to be standing in the room. I have never experienced this before to the same extent with any other speaker.

In short I think I made the right choice of speaker

Yeah, this is about the amount of time it took for my Summits to bloom as well, Neil. You have great ancillary equipment and I bet your system sounds wonderful. How 'bout some pics?

Same here, a few months did it!

Did you find the break in time was more for the woofers, or the whole speaker?

Yeah, this is about the amount of time it took for my Summits to bloom as well, Neil. You have great ancillary equipment and I bet your system sounds wonderful. How 'bout some pics?

Its funny but I don't have a digital camera and usually use my girlfriends. I will get her to bring it during the week and take some pics

Same here, a few months did it!

Did you find the break in time was more for the woofers, or the whole speaker?

I think it is probably the whole speaker although I originally thought it would just be the woofers.

Looking back the speakers were a bit bright with a lack of body to the sound. I noticed this especially on some male vocals on CDs that I was really familiar with. When I played them again recently the sound was much warmer while still having the detail of before. I don't think this is totally due to the woofers.

There was always plenty of bass when I boosted the settings but when I did this the bass was not quite natural and came in too loud at same places on the CD eg. in getting enough bass the foot stomping on some Cds was just too loud. I don't find this a problem any more and everything seems more balanced.

However, the speakers were also not originally in the best spot as where they are now is significantly different. Perhaps it took so long to find the right position because the sound of the speakers was gradually changing thereby requiring constant changes in position.

Congratulations on your purchase. Where in Australia are you? I take it you bought from Audioconnection?

Near Woy Woy about 60km north of Sydney

I grew up there as a kid (my grandparents lived on the waterfront at Phegans Bay and I went to stay often)!! Love the Central coast, but I'm now in Queensland which is equally nice (with a better climate)!

Latest posts

Back