Summit X

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The trend in speaker design is clearly "smaller footprint", less obtrusive models. The CLX TRIPLE bass panel handles ~56-360 Hz. A narrower version would be more limited in the lower end, and still require a standard stat panel for the mids/highs. I don't see how they could be integrated in a lower-priced and smaller footprint model. Perhaps (like Gillette razors), ML will announce their QUAD or QUINTUPLE panel design, for a smoother listening experience. :D

You just said it would be narrower, then you say can't manage a smaller footprint. Hm...

I see it looking like this. Take one CLX. It has a stat panel and 4 bass sections. Remove two of the bass sections - say the two to the left, for arguments sake. So we have a smaller width footprint. But we go smaller still because we use a smaller standard ESL panel than the CLX. So we have saved a bit of width again - and maybe a little height. But, because we can't go as low, maybe around 100Hz for the sake of argument (I think it might go a bit lower - after all how to Quad do it?), we just use a standard woofer.

Sorted. One excellent speaker that will blow away the old Summit or Spire. It will work. Period.

And it will fit nicely in the range.

That is exactly the speaker that needs to sit between the Spire and the CLX.

Martin Logan - that's a mere $100 consultancy fee - Paypal to...:)

You just said it would be narrower, then you say can't manage a smaller footprint...

???

As you can see in my system pic, I wouldn't have room for anything wider than the Summits, and don't expect the Summit X to be compelling enough to buy as a replacement. *IF* ML developed a lower-end "CLX-like" model the same width as the Summit, I might upgrade for something like that. However, I still don't think it's possible.

OK Sleepy I agree with your ??? I think I mis-read or mis-understood.

CLX type dual force stators in a Summit sized speaker is a no no... you're right.

???

As you can see in my system pic, I wouldn't have room for anything wider than the Summits, and don't expect the Summit X to be compelling enough to buy as a replacement. *IF* ML developed a lower-end "CLX-like" model the same width as the Summit, I might upgrade for something like that. However, I still don't think it's possible.

you have a great system and like you I could not accommodate anything larger.
I think the whole idea of the CLX is a no holds barred electrostatic speaker and to chop it down would be a mistake at any value.

you have a great system and like you I could not accommodate anything larger.
I think the whole idea of the CLX is a no holds barred electrostatic speaker and to chop it down would be a mistake at any value.

Conversely, how do you fill the Spire/CLX gap, Fish? And it is a big gap... which is why ML are trying to fill it.

They can always re release a new 1 panel CLS with newest technology ! May be a single panel with triple bass side stators

Like This ! its incorporating all the new designs !

Attachments

• ac23_1.JPG
    ac23_1.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 189
Apparently the stat panel will be roughly the same size as in the current Summit, but voiced more like the CLX and Spire.

Another interesting fact is that it will only have one set of binding posts (apparently to avoid the confusion of biwiring / biamping since there is no point with only the panel being powered by the external amplifier).

It is meant to be a considerable improvement on the current Summit.

Dual force isn't necessary, or even desirable, at high frequencies. It's just to get decent bass out of an ESL.

Why wouldn't it be desirable at higher frequencies? It would allow for a lower crossover point. And it should be the same over all panel size that you are speculating.

They can always re release a new 1 panel CLS with newest technology ! May be a single panel with triple bass side stators

Like This ! its incorporating all the new designs !

nice idea cap.

I have also said in the past that a CLS with new stator technology would be nice.

they really do not have to "fill the gap" it would be nice to have a speaker such as the spire and to know you have the best in that particular technology for $8500. sometimes you can cause buyer confusion when to many choices are offered and a good % of your buyer will hold of spending this is very dangerous for a manufacture to do. many people may have bought a spire but now that there is something better that is just out of there reach they may not buy at all. where as the CLX is so far that they can take comfort in knowing they got the best hybrid from martin logan they can afford without going all the way to the 25k mark.this is just one view and one side of a coin that know body completely understands.

that's why a new and improved version of a beloved vintage item (cls) I think would be well received and not cause confusion or disdain to summit owners or future potential buyers

on another not it would be nice since tweeter is now gone to somehow threw a partnership with magnolia or some other prominent dealer reinstate the trade in deal that tweeter had this would allow magnolia to easily scoop up many previous tweeter customers and allow many Logan owners out there that intended to upgrade but cannot now that tweeter is out of biz.

I don't see Best Buy selling stereo speakers that retail at 14 grand per pair. Magnolia (part of Best Buy) does not currently sell the electostatic line at all.

there are other members who have auditioned the CLX there maybe the one in your area just does not carry the better models

Well Amigos,

Here's my take. I bought the Summit for it's "smallish" size and incredible performance. The CLX is simply too big for my room and performance would likely be compromised given the size of my living room.

So what would entice me to consider purchasing?

Same basic architecture with the powered woofers and the panel size being 3 to 4" wider and 3 to 6" taller.

If the "X" is basically the same size with a new crossover or reconfigured spar spacing, my sense is that it will not generate much interest, at least for me.

GG

if you have a room large enough to accommodate a CLX then you probably can afford one too so why the middle size between the spire and the CLX???
then again we really do not know what they are going to release and everything so far they have made has had its place.

Hi Fish,

For me, a larger panel directly equates to sonic performance and ultimately, emotional involvement.

I trust others, who have ML's that have a larger panel cross sectional area (CLS, Monoliths, etc.) will provide their perspective.

Given my previous experience with the CLS2A's, this seems to be a reasonable assumption.

GG

Gordon,

You hit it on the head. The only difference in the X, is crossover and reconfigured spar spacing or maybe an additional spar, I don't remember exactly because there was wine involved. But there really isn't much physical difference in the X and the regular Summit.

Gordon,

You hit it on the head. The only difference in the X, is crossover and reconfigured spar spacing or maybe an additional spar, I don't remember exactly because there was wine involved. But there really isn't much physical difference in the X and the regular Summit.

If this is true, why will they not offer an upgrade path?

If this is true, why will they not offer an upgrade path?

Because "not much physical difference" isn't the same as "no physical difference, just a crossover upgrade"? Assuming there are physical differences, just upgrading the crossover won't get one the complete Summit X experience, hence ML's reluctance to offer an upgrade.

It sucks, but there's always the more tradition upgrade route: trade in old stuff to buy new stuff. :)

Assuming no panel size change or other substantive physical changes in the upcoming "X", my reaction is that Corporate ML may be succumbing to the "new and improved" marketing hype.

If this is anywhere accurate, it suggests that they may be following the Wilson Watt Puppy philosophy.

I really hope this is not true and that my / our speculation ultimately proves to be unfounded.

GG

Back