Summit X, high-pitched sound

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete_S

Reaction score
My other Summit X started suddenly make high-pitched, wheezy sound.
When I localized it to the speaker (did not know first where the sound originated)
I disconnected all the cables. When I connect power cable, sound starts.
Now it also "pulses" stops-starts-stops..

Anyone experienced anything like that? Warranty is still on, so I also
contacted my dealer.

Read the manual and vacuumed the speaker. Sound is gone now, let's hope it stays away.
It this common thing to happen?

Hola Pete. Yes it is a common problem. The electrostatic panel, when it is polarized, it is like a magnet to the dust. A debris, is the culprit. It is a really odd sound. A reason why it is wise to vacuum the panels at least once every two months, or if you live in a dusty ambiance, every two weeks. Here in Costa Rica, I have to do it every week. This odd noise will not harm your panel. Happy listening!

This summer i had 1 panel with close to zero output and the other outputting only lower mids but very quiet - it was during a heat wave with high humidity. I suspected dust / humidity so I unplugged overnight, set up a dehumidifier and air filter, then vacuumed and low pressure air blasted it clean - success, good as new.

Since then, I have been covering the panels when not in use with black microfiber pillowcases (meant for body length pillows).

Could anyone chime in if that's a good / bad / neutral idea?

Back