Summit spikes too short?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can put me in for a set of four.

We have 12 now. All we need are about 10 more Summit owners and we can ge the remaining 38+ spikes!

Come on, SSurf, advertise this thread!

Joey ;)

Alright, so far we have:
1. Sleepy
2. Craig
3. Joey

Let's add on as we go along... we need 13 or so to get over the 50 spike mark. This will allow us to be able to tilt the Summits forward, which I think is especially helpful for those who sit 10+ feet away.

Any idea what the ballpark cost will be? I might be interested even though I don't have the summits yet.

Let's see how many others are interested. Actually, we really need only TWO of the custom spikes per Summit (FOUR total) as we'd be able to use the standard spikes up front.

Another of my pet peeves with the Summit spike is the difficulty in precisely adjusting their height. I ended up cutting a coat hanger to feed thru the small lateral hole near the point, and then COUNTED the number of turns. Unfortunately, the hole is near the bottom of the spike, so you can't ADJUST the spike when the speakers are upright. Ideally, it would be nice to have a lateral hole near the middle of the custom spike, or something like this "jackscrew" design, where we could use a wrench for final height adjustments.

BTW, I found this 4" long 3/4 16 thread "jackscrew" at...
http://www.midwestcontrol.com/buy.php?item=1527

Maybe these could even be used as the starting point for the custom spike, and just grind one end to a point!

Hi,
A jackscrew has one end with a right hand thread, and the other a left hand thread. To use them, you'd have to be sure you turned down the left hand threaded end to a point, leaving the right handed end as is, so it will thread into the 'foot' of the speaker.

Peter

What about buying some aftermarket spikes that have the standard 1/4-20 screw holes and taking those to a local machine shop and having them re-tapped for a 3/4" screw. That would be a LOT cheaper than having custom spikes made, and you'd be able to get them in any number of finished (gold, black, silver). Any decent machine shop will cut new threaded hoed in brass for a few $$ per piece, rvrn in short=run jobs like 4 or 8 spikes...

Or you could consider finding (or having them made) sleaves to fit into the Summits, that were 3/4" on the outside threaded, and 1/4-20 on the inside, for after-market spikes.

Throwing brains at a problem usually will result in a MUCH more elegant and satisfying solution than just throwing money at a problem. Plus you get the satisfaction of having "beat the system", rather than allowing the system to rule your wallet. :)

NOTE: I just talked to the folks at PartsExpress, and the big brass spike cones they sell are threaded M6 (6mm), so for those of you out there with other MLs (wich all have 1/4-20 threads) we're out of luck with Parts Express, unless you want to mount new thread sleaves in your speakers... Still plenty of other alternatives though, just not quite so reasonably-priced as the Dayton spikes...

--Richard

Last edited:
Alright, so far we have:
1. Sleepy
2. Craig
3. Joey

Let's add on as we go along... we need 13 or so to get over the 50 spike mark. This will allow us to be able to tilt the Summits forward, which I think is especially helpful for those who sit 10+ feet away.

Please count me in for 8 pcs if it can be shipped to me. I am willing pay for all handling, packing, shipping and whatever charges it takes. Name your mode of payment - upfront. Easiest for me is VISA, but I can also obtain a cheque drawn on a Bank in NYork.

Please count me in for 8 pcs if it can be shipped to me. I am willing pay for all handling, packing, shipping and whatever charges it takes. Name your mode of payment - upfront. Easiest for me is VISA, but I can also obtain a cheque drawn on a Bank in NYork.

Sent you a PM.

Latest posts

Back