Summit spikes too short?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
Before permanently switching my Summits to spikes (on carpet), I spent a few months tweaking their position, toe-in, and tilt, until I was happy. I eventually found they sounded sweetest with a bit more forward tilt than the default setting, and achieved the perfect angle by simply removing the front bottom screw ring and spike altogether, while leaving the back legs in their default (flat) position. That tweak yielded much cleaner and brighter mids/highs. Unfortunately, I've found it impossible to get that same degree of forward tilt using the spikes, because they are too short to get the necessary height in the rear.

Has anybody else found the range of adjustments with the Summit spikes to be less than ideal? I wish ML offered an alternative spike that was about 1" longer, to allow more leeway in adjustments.

As a compromise, I'm using the spikes fully extended in the rear, with the front legs in their flat configuration. This was the only way I could get the degree of forward tilt I needed. I guess half spiked is better than none!

Last edited:
OregonDV is great, and I used their spikes on my Aerius. Unfortunately, the Summit spikes are a non-standard width, ~3/4"! I'll email ML about them.

Attachments

• Summit Spike.jpg
    Summit Spike.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
I know you probably don't want to wait until our National Get Together in June, but I'll let a little something out of the bag. Black Diamond Racing is donating 3 sets of their adjustable spikes to the group as a door prize (~$260.00 a set retail). You can get longer threaded rods for them that should accomodate the range of adjustment you need.

Come to the National Event and you might walk away with them:rolleyes:

I'm already registered! Do they offer a Summit-sized version? I've attached another pic of the Summit leg/spike design. Because of their reversible design, the spike length was limited, as it had to fit inside the hollow leg. But there's no reason why a longer version couldn't be sold after-market.

Attachments

• Summit feet.jpg
    Summit feet.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 324
I'm already registered! Do they offer a Summit-sized version? I've attached another pic of the Summit leg/spike design. Because of their reversible design, the spike length was limited, as it had to fit inside the hollow leg. But there's no reason why a longer version couldn't be sold after-market.

Good question, I don't know. What I will do is send DJ Casser an e-mail posing the question though...

I know you probably don't want to wait until our National Get Together in June, but I'll let a little something out of the bag. Black Diamond Racing is donating 3 sets of their adjustable spikes to the group as a door prize (~$260.00 a set retail). You can get longer threaded rods for them that should accomodate the range of adjustment you need.

Spoilers!!! :drool:

I wish ML offered an alternative spike that was about 1" longer, to allow more leeway in adjustments.

That's an excellent suggestion.

Based on your experimentation with the Summits, I did the same with my Aeoni's and noticed a very positive improvement by doing just the same. Spikes fully extended in the back and flats in the front.... very good stuff, at least for me.

:rocker:

I emailed ML about this, and finally heard back. Here's their reply... "We don't plan on offering a different spike for the Summit. The pointed spike part is 3/4-16 thread."

At least they shared the specs to allow us to hunt for a replacement!

Now, any ideas on where to find a longer spike with those specs?

I emailed ML about this, and finally heard back. Here's their reply... "We don't plan on offering a different spike for the Summit. The pointed spike part is 3/4-16 thread."

At least they shared the specs to allow us to hunt for a replacement!

Now, any ideas on where to find a longer spike with those specs?

If enough Summit owners say they want them I would be more than happy to make a run of them.

Well, I've been Googling for 20 mins... no such mammoth spike out there that I've been able to find! I'm sure I could find a BOLT with those specs, but I want a SPIKE, not LEGS!

jtwrace... do you have a machine shop? How easy/expensive might this be?

I have access to a lot of stuff. How much depends on the qty. It only makes sense to CNC a run of a minimum of 50pcs. That's about the absolute min that makes any sense.

I would be up for some extra spikes.... it's not everyday that you come across a possible method of tilting forward the Summits.

Put me down for some spikes.

Joey

Sleepysurf,

I don't think a 3/4 X16 thread is a standard, but I could be wrong. I googled for it and came up with nothing. Most 3/4" bolts have 10 threads per inch.

You could figure out what length you would need and buy some with the approximate length and 1/4" X 20 threads, which is the most common. Take the spikes you have cut the point off and tack weld it to the top of the spikes. you won't see the top so even if it isn't perfect it won't matter.

Let's see how many others are interested. Actually, we really need only TWO of the custom spikes per Summit (FOUR total) as we'd be able to use the standard spikes up front.

Another of my pet peeves with the Summit spike is the difficulty in precisely adjusting their height. I ended up cutting a coat hanger to feed thru the small lateral hole near the point, and then COUNTED the number of turns. Unfortunately, the hole is near the bottom of the spike, so you can't ADJUST the spike when the speakers are upright. Ideally, it would be nice to have a lateral hole near the middle of the custom spike, or something like this "jackscrew" design, where we could use a wrench for final height adjustments.

BTW, I found this 4" long 3/4 16 thread "jackscrew" at...
http://www.midwestcontrol.com/buy.php?item=1527

Maybe these could even be used as the starting point for the custom spike, and just grind one end to a point!

Attachments

• Jackscrew.jpg
    Jackscrew.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 189
Let's see how many others are interested. Actually, we really need only TWO of the custom spikes per Summit (FOUR total) as we'd be able to use the standard spikes up front.
[/URL]

Maybe these could even be used as the starting point for the custom spike, and just grind one end to a point!

I'd be in for 4 then for sure. Getting a machine to do the spikes is better than doing it yourself. Afterall, we're talking about reference speakers here so a little money on quality spikes is worth it.

Let's see if there's any interest in the forum, I'm sure there is as there are more than enough Summit owners to hit the 50 mark.

Joey

Latest posts

Back