Summit or Vantage Room Size

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ofseng

Reaction score
Hi to all. First post here. I am about to buy my first set of ML speakers and have had very conflicting advice as to whether to buy a secondhand set of original Summits or Vantage. My room size is 16 long by 12 wide. I have heard both speakers in a slightly larger room and the Summits gave much more sound stage and bass but am worried they will overload my room. Please advise!!

System

Moon SuperNova CD
Primaluna pre amp and monoblocks

Vantage, unless you see yourself in a larger room sometime soon.

Vantage, unless you see yourself in a larger room sometime soon.

Thanks for the reply Beakman. May move into a larger room in future, but local ML dealer says Summit will be easier to fit in my room than Vantage as bass is more tunable and that is the real problem.

Does anyone else have an opinion as both of these speakers are a considerable investment in the UK and I don't want to get it wrong!!!

Regs

Ofseng

Hello,
How much bigger is the room you heard them in and the other question is will he let you take them to your home to try?

Best,
Bob

Hi Ofseng,

I would not call your room size "small" per se.

I haven't heard the Vantage in a room I trust but am very familiar with the Summit.

Factors that impact room "overload" are:

1) Excessive / loud volume levels.

2) Playing material that is excessively bright or has significant amounts of mid / low bass content.

3) Speaker placement that augments "beaming" and standing waves.

4) And probably the most important, lack of acoustic treatment. If properly installed, acoustic treatment that diminishes reflectivity and absorbs excessive mid / lower bass energy will significantly attenuate or eliminate room "ringing' or excitement of bass nodes.

I'm confident that if you address the four items above, you should not have an issue with the Summits. Also, the Summit allows for more control of the mid / low bass output as a result of having two adjustments (25 and 50hz controls). The Vantage has no such adjustment. And the Summit has powered woofers, which will allow your amp to only drive the panels. Less strain on your amp means more headroom, cleaner / more transparent sound thereby decreasing overall distortion.

From my perspective, this is a no brainer.

Good luck.

GG

Last edited:
I would go with the Summits hands-down over the Vantages, regardless of room size. Heck, Joey V. had them set up in his dorm room and was very satisfied with the sound. Gordon provides some good advice. Proper acoustic treatments can alleviate any problems you have from room reflections. And when you move to a larger room in the future, you will still be happy with your speakers.

I would go for the summits as well.I have Odyssey's in a 12x20 ft room which is just a little longer than your space. I did put in 4 ASC tube traps for the corners and did absorbtion at the 1st and 2nd reflection points as well which made quite a difference.

Cheers, Greg

If price is no object: buy the Summits and don't look back. But you can purchase a used set of Vantages on Audiogon for $2500-3000. The powered bass on Vantages in a small to medium sized room is impressive and quite tuneable also.
JMHO
Jim

Back