Suggestions on SPL meters

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JordanD

Reaction score
I would like to pick a decent one up, but keep in mind guys I am a college student and I would like to eat this week haha.

A SPL Meter's primary purpose is to measure loudness. (like setting level in a multi-channel system)
A Calibration Mic's primary purpose is to measure frequency response. (like adjusting cross-over settings)
That's not to say that they can't do the other task, it just what they are optimized for.
Which are you planning to do.

To be honest I dont know! haha. I just notice that a lot of people are utilizing then when setting up their systems. I just did a quick Google search and found that some arent that expensive, so I figured maybe I should get one? Maybe it helps but initially I will be setting up a 2.1 system, and later expending to a multi-channel. I am just trying to learn.

You can get an spl meter app for an iphone that does a pretty decent job, if you just want something basic. Otherwise, the standard radio shack meter runs about $35 and does a fine job.

Back