Subwoofer questions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantana

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a subwoofer to add to my 2 channel audio.
Music reproduction is my highest concern, not HT. I own
PSB Synchrony One tower speakers.

How important is a remote control with a subwoofer?
Once you set the volume, will you need to constantly adjust
from CD to CD, or even song to song ?

I'm considering a PSB Subseries 500 (12 in driver, no remote,
no room analyzer, but thankfully, light in weight, 71 lbs).
It's supposed to be the match for the Synchronies and
retails for about $2100, but i can pick up new for
$1400....

Or, a JL Audio f110 or f112 (includes room analyzer and remote,
i believe). The f110 weighs about the same as the PSB and
i can pick up for around $1700. The F112 is very heavy
and i can buy for around $2240. Both the JLs have smaller cabinets
which is nice, but weight is an issue for me. I fear the smaller
f110 may not do the job in my fairly large room and I dread
moving the heavier f112 around.

Is it that hard to dial in a subwoofer and is the remote that
important?

Any suggestions ? I'm amping this system with a Simaudio i7.

thx

Mantana,

Had the pleasure of visiting Gordon in Maryland over x-mas.

Always had doubts about blending subs to ML's but he did it with the Spires and two F112's.

Based on the limited time I had, I was very impressed with the blend and the musicality of the subs.

GG

I'm running a single F112 in my 2 channel only room. My F112 doesn't have a remote, maybe the newer ones do? I have the ability to change gain through my electronic xover (Pass XVR1) which I can reach from my listening chair. Working with a single sub has been challenge to dial in but has been fun along the way. I feel I'm very close now with obtaining a great match with my CLS IIz's.

I employ the use of a sub with my Spires and love it.......Velodyne DD-15, so I HIGHLY recomend if the sub you choose does not have a built EQ system then to incorporate one (Velodyne SMS for example) in line with the sub. it WILL make a world of difference in the integration of it, your main speakers and room in which they live, not to mention your ears will thank you as well !

Mantana,

Had the pleasure of visiting Gordon in Maryland over x-mas.

Always had doubts about blending subs to ML's but he did it with the Spires and two F112's.

Based on the limited time I had, I was very impressed with the blend and the musicality of the subs.

GG

Thx Gordon,

I thought i saw you at RMAF and i really wanted to say
hello, but alas, it turned out to be someone else...

clay

I employ the use of a sub with my Spires and love it.......Velodyne DD-15, so I HIGHLY recomend if the sub you choose does not have a built EQ system then to incorporate one (Velodyne SMS for example) in line with the sub. it WILL make a world of difference in the integration of it, your main speakers and room in which they live, not to mention your ears will thank you as well !

I looked at that Velodyne SMS and read a review on it...it looked
kind of complicated. I see the DD series does have the built in EQ.
Is it normally best to buy a sub from the same manufacturer as
your main speakers?

Last edited:
here is my setup: 10 inch or 12 inch ?

Attachments

• IMG_0388.jpg
    IMG_0388.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 256
I looked at that Velodyne SMS and read a review on it...it looked
kind of complicated.

Not at all, if I can figure so can the rest of the world !

I see the DD series does have the built in EQ.

yes and that does make things a wee bit easier

Is it normally best to buy a sub from the same manufacturer as
you main speakers?

Not at all

here is my setup: 10 inch or 12 inch ?

I'd go with a twelve, but regardless you do need some acoustical help if you are going to further pressurize that room with lower freq for untreated corner windows are a nightmare !

Thx Gordon,

I thought i saw you at RMAF and i really wanted to say
hello, but alas, it turned out to be someone else...

clay

Clay,

Someone else looking like me is a very scary thought. :eek:

Didn't make it this year but plan on attending next year.

Maybe we can meet then and good luck with your subs.

As an aside and I'm surprised others haven't mentioned this, general rule is to go with two subs if at all possible. Ensures a much more uniform room load and a better blend with your main speakers.

Gordon

PS: Given the price differences between the subs you are looking at, you may want to consider buying a pair of the less expensive subs and maybe go with the 10" versus the 12", assuming you are confident that that brand will work for you. I love spending other peoples money.

I'd love to hear the PSB Ones. Mr. Burton is supposed to make a great speaker.

Last edited:
Your best bet may be getting at least two low to mid priced 10" or 12" subs and find out for yourself what is involved in getting the sound you want. If I was in your situation with the room in your photo, I'd go for a pair of Outlaw Audio subs. They're cheap and have a good enough rep that they would sell easily if you choose to upgrade ( I just may do this myself to complement my two existing subs). I don't think at this stage you should go for the big-bucks subs until you learn what to do with them from using the cheap ones, and I do mean plural, one isn't enough.
A remote controlled sub may save you a little grief from crawling around a lot, but will it have a readout of what setting you choose? without that, life gets difficult.

thx guys...i've read that 2 subs are best, but i hate having the
extra box. I love the clean, uncluttered look of my system now
and really don't want to load up my room with a bunch of
speakers. I'm trying to justify just one subwoofer. That's
why i figured i should go with one 12 incher versus two 10's.
At the same time, i don't want to mess up my current sound.
I really enjoy my system as currently configured. Just curious
if a sub could improve it even more.

I'd go with a twelve, but regardless you do need some acoustical help if you are going to further pressurize that room with lower freq for untreated corner windows are a nightmare !

usually both blinds are closed, but what room treatment would
you recommend ? It sounds pretty good to me, but you're right,
i wish the windows weren't located there, just drywall.

It is my belief that subs need to be in pairs for stereo. My room is nowhere near as large as yours, yet I chose the 12's. I have complete control over them and decide if they hit big or not. Having a pair, allowed me to tune the subs for the room. There is a large opening to the left and the sub settings are vastly different from the right. The use of the ARO on each side, independent of each other was/is a great tool!! It is also in the plan to move to a larger place and wanted gear in place.

As Gordon mentioned, the JL's work very well with the ML's. I do have them set up in an unusual way. They are on the inner side and on the same plane as the Spires. Corner loading was very difficult to work with.

There are no remote controls on the JL's I have. Once I set them (many hours) I leave them alone. Some music may come across as bass heavy or lean but I don't chase bass and found I'm happy at a fairly flat level.

Gordon

I use a JL Audio F110 and a JL Audio F112 in another system. The JL f112 goes a little lower but the F110 is so precise and accurate that I would prefer 1 or 2 JL f110 subs in a 2 channel system. If you are using it with HT system, the F112 would be better. The JL subs are really easy to dial in. I didn't need to adjust either JL sub after the inital setup period. JMHO.
Jim

I use a JL Audio F110 and a JL Audio F112 in another system. The JL f112 goes a little lower but the F110 is so precise and accurate that I would prefer 1 or 2 JL f110 subs in a 2 channel system. If you are using it with HT system, the F112 would be better. The JL subs are really easy to dial in. I didn't need to adjust either JL sub after the inital setup period. JMHO.
Jim

Hi,

I'm curious how large your room is...i like the idea of the smaller,
lighter F110.

clay

Back