Strange sounds coming from my panels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tegan512

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I just added a Sunfire Cinema Grand amp a Stage center channel and new signal cable speaker cables to my setup and after I got everything configured last night. I noticed a "trilling sound" kind of like a high frequency repeated squeak coming from my panels (both Vista's and the Stage). The panels still produce music and dialogue that they are suppose to, but the underlying sound is alway present. Whether I'm feeding the speakers a signal or not. I'm wondering if any of you have encountered this in the past or have any suggestions. I'm going to start the process by swapping out the speaker cables, and then the power conditioner tonight. I'm hoping I can avoid sending the unit back to Sunfire if possible. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks

Tegan512

I'd most strongly suspect either the amp or the conditioner, if all three speakers are doing that. Could be a bad diode or who knows what. Have you disconnected the speakers from the amp to see if the noise stays?

I pulled the center off the amp last night and tried connecting it directly to my Denon receiver which acts as my pre-amp and Center produced the same sound. Which is why I'm thinking it may be the powerconditioner. I've picked up a new unit I'll plug in tonight. I'll let you know.

Tegan512

Conditioners are notorious for adding thier noise ! I would get rid of it and run a dedicated 20 amp plug ! Sunfires are not known for any noise . I had one !

Conditioners are notorious for adding thier noise ! I would get rid of it and run a dedicated 20 amp plug ! Sunfires are not known for any noise . I had one !

Huh? I'm not sure which Power Conditioners you have listened to CAP, but the PS Audio and Running Springs conditioners that I've used in my system or have listened to in others have just the opposite effect - they tend to eliminate noise and produce much deeper, quieter, blacker backgrounds.

Usually my experience has been that anytime you have an AV system hooked up to a cable feed you are much more suseptible to ground loops, but that is usually presented as more of a "hum" than a "trilling sound". Since tegan 512 already hooked everything up directly to his Denon receiver and it was still present I'd suspect it's something along the lines of what Tube 60 suggests, possibly a bad diode or even an MOV. I'd try disconnecting the Power Conditioner to see if that eliminates anything. If not, I'd try disconnecting the cable feed (if you have one). Try only one thing at a time so you know what the variables are. I wonder if there might be an impedence mis-match between the Denon receiver and the Sunfire that caused some sort of internal damage to the Denon?

Noise in system.

If possible plug everything in without the conditioner.That's the fastest way to determine if it is the conditioner.If both speakers makes the noise,that eliminates the speakers themselves.Every Sunfire(3) I have ever owned has been dead quiet.I have used a Monster conditioner and have never had noise in my system.Good luck.

you may be a little of here buddy I have had quite a few what I think are good $300 -$1000 dollar units and seen nothing but improvements small but improvements. I was once having power problems and they saved a lot of my gear this was real serious.

Back