Strange Low frequency noise in an AeriusI speaker

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madj

Reaction score
Hey
I am interested in buying an old (20years) ML aerius i pair of speakers but I am hearing a sort of low frequency noise in the left speaker. Stators have been changed 10 years ago. Talking with an hifi reseller he told me I certainly get a problem with the alimentation / transformer of this speaker. What are you thinking it may be? I have heard it is recommended to change the «*electrical alimentation*» when changing a stator. Saying that I dont get money for an hot SAV work.
Thanks for helping

Hola. The speakers by themselves can not produce any noise but they do reproduce the input signal from the amp. Tracking that noise is what you should do. What you might be hearing is a ground loop coming from, Which electronics are you using to drive them? Is the noise only on one speaker or both have the low frequency noise? Is the noise volume dependent?, in other words, if you bring down the volume knob, does the noise decrease? Is the noise only one note, like a hum?

Thanks for answer Roberto.
I finally get my hands on these Aerius «*i*». The day I bought them there was a small difference between right and left: power and clarity. Since then the problem has dramaticly evolved...thinking about a stator problem I inverted the stators to be sure. Good idea! The stator is perfectly working! All comes from the speaker itself. I notice that when starting the wellworking speaker I hear an electrical tension in the stator. I dont hear the sale in the other one speaker.
For me it seems there is no elctricity in the mylar film! Problem with the electrical alimentation?
Perhaps theres a broken main component somewhere. Strange cause a non usual problem with ML speakers.
Thanks to help

Back