Stereophile on CLX: system kicked ass in a way that was difficult to credit to 'stats

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jeff,

just to help me understand - what amps are you using to drive your speakers. I have just acquired a apir of reQuests and tried my Spectron MIII Mk 2's in bridged mode, each 'channel' driving both bass and panel versus horizontal mode configuration. The bridged Spectrons put out 3000 watt peak into 0.1 ohm. I believe the stereo mode puts out 500 watt peak. There is no comparison .... bridged mode is way better. Now, this is true for any speaker I tried with these amps, not just the ML's, as I have done this config change on a couple of dynamic driver speakers models as well. Nevertheless, driving the ML's demonstrated the difference much more obviously than the same comparison with other speakers. All of this is to say that until you try the system synergy, it is all just hypothetical and real life listening tells the truth, but so far I get the impression that the ML's show up small variances more than conventional dynamic driver speakers. I should ad that one of my comparisons was with dipole speakers.

I heard the CLX's in Montreal and fell in love (again) but I also heard the sonic signature of the Bryston amps at the same time and so I could make a choice on amplifier synergy as well. For the record, the Bryston amps are great products, but personally, I would not choose to match them with the CLX's. Hope that is not too opinionated - just my perspective.

Steve

For the last two years driving the Vantage, Summits, CLX and Spires I was using a CJ ACT2 series 2 with a CJ Premier 350 am my primary reference. That was the setup that our local ML rep went crazy over. In the meantime I've used quite a few amplifiers with the CLX's, but until I just made the jump to the Burmester 911 mk. 3 nothing I liked more than my Premier 350.

Currently I am using the 911mk. 3 with their 011 preamplifier that is on temporary loan until my 077 preamplifier is reprogrammed. The Burmester folks have told me to expect another big jump. It will have the additional power supply option, so I'm pretty excited.

As far as the revealing aspect, it depends on the speaker, but the ML's are very revealing. I've certainly heard a few good dynamic speakers (the new Focal Diablos and the Verity Audio Sarastro II for example) that are also extremely detailed and show off different amplification well.

Other amps that I've had good luck driving the CLX's:

CJ ET250
Nagra PSA
Prima Luna Prologue 7 monoblocks
BAT VK-55SE
McIntosh MC252
Sim Audio Moon i-7 integrated
Luxman L-590a II integrated
Burmester 082 integrated
Rega Elicit integrated

Last edited:
Other amps that I've had good luck driving the CLX's:

CJ ET250
Nagra PSA
Prima Luna Prologue 7 monoblocks
BAT VK-55SE
McIntosh MC252
Sim Audio Moon i-7 integrated
Luxman L-590a II integrated
Burmester 082 integrated
Rega Elicit integrated

Cool--it's official! There's no reason why I can't buy a pair of CLXs! Well, apart from the small matter of $25k+. :)

If you have not heard my system you can't comment.
I agree. It is YOUR system, your ears, and your preferences, and if you like it who are others to judge???

People do tend to "generally" comment on a certain brand or component based on their experience, but in your setup and environment it could sound completely different. This is what most fail to realize

But then again if you showed a PICTURE of your place, we could tell exactly how it sounds.... LOL :D

I can't help but think if you guys were really that happy with sound of your system you would not have been so offended.
People like to think they have great sound, as it is their system. Don't know why everyone gets so hyped up over what others think? Me, I could care less what you or others run or your opinions about it, just that you enjoy the music when it is playing.

Gordon - I've deleted the post in the interests of peace.

Ultimately, there was no point in it. People are more than capable of drawing their own conclusions.

Good for you, Justin. That is very respectable behavior. I like both you and Jeff a lot and was disappointed to see things deteriorate there. It is really easy to step on each others' toes -- we all hold such strong opinions. I think I even manage to step on a few toes now and then. ;) But I appreciate you taking the high road. Maybe I can learn from your example.

Rock on. :rocker:

We are all genuine here in our opinions. It is all the other people who do not believe us that is the real problem DTB 300

We are all genuine here in our opinions. It is all the other people who do not believe us that is the real problem DTB 300

I agreed with you and your statement "If you have not heard my system you can't comment" Guess you missed it, read by it, or misunderstood my typing accent.

I have heard the Bryston's many times (even with Magnepan) and could comment, but not with the CLX. So like others, it is not a valid comment to make and I will not spew out pure theory as others do. Again if you have not heard it people should not comment.

Last edited:
your quote was not direted at you...

I meant your quote to influence others not you.Obviously you get it even if you did not agree with me.
Gregadd:cool:

Latest posts

Back