Stereophile on CLX: system kicked ass in a way that was difficult to credit to 'stats

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Matz

Reaction score
I guess this is not an official review, but a blog post from the Montreal show. He likes it, but thinks it's over-priced.

Here's Robert Deutch's blog post:

Asked to name the top three drawbacks of electrostatic loudspeakers, the knowledgeable audiophile will list—not necessarily in this order—restricted listening area, inability to play loud, and limited bass extension. Although the last criticism can still be applied to the new MartinLogan CLX (its claimed bass –3dB point is 56Hz), the speaker's design has gone a major way toward addressing the other two criticisms.

Introduced as the successor to the famed CLS (or CLZ), the CLX strikes me more like an altogether different speaker. It's quite a bit wider than the old CLS, but it's not as big as I thought it would be based on pictures I've seen. It follows the curvilinear driver design of the original CLS, the consequent wider dispersion creating a wider sweet spot.
The CLX certainly delivers on the promise of being more than a one-listener-in-the-sweet-spot speaker, but what but what really blew me away were the dynamics. Aided and abetted by a pair of Descent 1 subwoofers ($3000 each), the rest of the system made up of Bryston components (BCD-1 CD player, BD-A1 DAC, BP26 preamp, 28B SST2 power amps), this system kicked ass in a way that was difficult to credit to electrostatics. I suspect the Bryston amps (1000W!) were a major contributor here. I understand that, in typical electrostatic fashion, the impedance of the CLX goes very low in the treble, a characteristics that many amps have trouble dealing with—but not the Brystons. The sound was loud and clear, with a tremendous "punch." Criticisms? Well, I would expect a speaker that costs CN$22,000/pair (about to be increased to $25,000) to be full-range, or, if not full-range, the price should be lower to allow budgeting for a pair of subwoofers.

Thanks David, the last sentence speaks volumes ! for what most of us already knew !

Anyways how many "Full range" speakers in the 22k price range wouldn't benefit from a sub to 'fill-in' the bottom octave ??

The CLX needs to be considered as a "system" with at least one Descent i sub - even with two it is still exceedingly good value for money.

Personally, I think ML would have copped less flack (even though the speaker has been extremely well received) if they had raised the price and sold it as a "system" with two Descent i subs.

And that's playing with Bryston gear, which is not the world's greatest match for the CLX...

Sounds to me like he was listening more to the specs than to the speakers.

And that's playing with Bryston gear, which is not the world's greatest match for the CLX...

Sorry.........I usually agree with you all the time and know that you are quite an expert with Martin Logan but those 28 SST's are an incredible amp with ANY speaker.

That' what transparency means!

If the CLX is as transparent as the CLS, that's what suppose to happen. You hear what's upstream. I continue to be amazed by the Bryston amps. One of the few reasonably priced ss amps I could live with. Excellent match for Maggies.:p:
gregadd:cool:

Well, I've never been a big fan of Bryston amps either. The best bass slam I've heard, but kind of "dry," receeded, hard to explain without sounding like a reviewer;) but really uninvolving after the initial excitement of bass slam wears off. This is what I imagine the word "clinical" or "analytical" refer to.

Now Simaudio, to stay with Canuck gear, there's another story. The reason I upgraded to the Summits was the sound I heard at a dealer demo with factory reps present, running Summits with Simaudio Evolution gear, including the Andromeda CDP. The best system I ever heard. Now I have a target to shoot for :D

Yep, I'd go for the Sim Stuff over Bryston any day, but that's just me. "Dry" is exactly the way Bryston always sounds to me too. The big Sim amp sounded almost identical to my Premier 350...

Strange we agree yet disagree.

Yep, I'd go for the Sim Stuff over Bryston any day, but that's just me. "Dry" is exactly the way Bryston always sounds to me too. The big Sim amp sounded almost identical to my Premier 350...

I like the Simaudio. Just can't agree the the Byston is dry. I can say that neither is the best amp for ML. I already voted for the moscode.:music:
Indeed amplifier choice is critical for ML. I lament that most ML owners really have the wrong amp and have never heard what the speaker is capable of reproducing.
Gregadd:cool:

In the interest of starting WW III (IV, actually), perhaps there should be a listing of the "Wrong Amps to use with Martin Logan Speakers" posted here...

Now THAT should spark some interest...and strongly-worded posts! :eek::devil::D

In the interest of starting WW III (IV, actually), perhaps there should be a listing of the "Wrong Amps to use with Martin Logan Speakers" posted here...

Now THAT should spark some interest...and strongly-worded posts! :eek::devil::D

...except that unless the amp simply isn't compatible from a necessary wattage (or current) standpoint - there are no 'right' or 'wrong' amps in this hobby. For every 1 person that hates Krell, Bryston, Sunfire, etc another person chimes with how much they enjoy them.

It's a zero sum game.

Erik

I agree eknuds! To each his own.

From what I heard from some friends that went to the show, this room was either hated or loved. Even the over 300000$ Focal room was in the same category!

They did tell me that the CLX was a little off in that room but I think a hotel was not really designed with audio in mind!

Just for argument sake, the new SST/2 Brystons are far from dry compared to the ST series of yure!. My definition of dry would be YBA gear as I have owned it until recently. Much less bass and more emphasis on the highs! Not my bag!

Also, Simaudio is excellent, I agree!

Perhaps we should use a different term.

... there are no 'right' or 'wrong' amps in this hobby.
It's a zero sum game.

Erik
Perhaps optimum would be a better term than right or wrong.

If you like it, you like it. How else can we explain the popularity of Paris Hilton?:confused:

I like the Simaudio. Just can't agree the the Byston is dry. I can say that neither is the best amp for ML. I already voted for the moscode.:music:
Indeed amplifier choice is critical for ML. I lament that most ML owners really have the wrong amp and have never heard what the speaker is capable of reproducing.

Hi Greg,

Can you please explain why you think "most ML owners really have the wrong amp and have never heard what the speaker is capable of reproducing".

The basis for this statement would be?

GG

Can we get Paris on this site?

She's hot, that's how!
Would not it be great to have her tell us our system is hot.
Actually we already have Robin. Better looking and a lot more class.
gregadd:cool:

Latest posts

Back