Started all ML system..need help please...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VPTampa

Reaction score
Room size is 15'9"x12'4"
Equip I have is as follows:

Sub- ML Abyss
Fronts- ML Mosiac
Center- ML Cinemai
Amp- Yamaha RX-V1700

I would like to use the fronts (Mosiac) as the surrounds? I will get Summit fronts. What is the best power to have for the Summits? McCintosh? Mainly used for movies, tv then music. What would be the best upgrade sub for what I am looking to do? So here it would be possibly...

Sub- ML upgrade? suggestions....
Fronts- ML Summits?
Center- ML Cinema i
Amps? suggestions...

Thank You for your help =)

Question ???? .......why would you spend Summit dollars on a room that small and have music third on your priority list ???

Myself, I would put the $$$ elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with twich. If your main use is home theater, then tv., then music, why spend the money for the Summit? Buy a pair of Vantages or the new Spire, or better yet, a used pair of Ascents or Odysseys (which would match better with your center channel) and spend the extra cash somewhere else (like a better home theater pre/pro). The best ML sub is the Descent i and it will knock your socks off.

I would say that McIntosh would be one of your worst choices for these speakers. As far as I know, there is only one person on this forum that would highly recommend them. There are lots of other great amps that would work great with the Summits or any other ML. Look at ARC, CJ, Sanders Sound Systems, Pass Labs, Plinius, Krell, Cary, BAT and Sunfire, to name just a few. There are tons of threads on this forum discussing the various options.

Thanks for the input fellas. I am no audiophile so I was just asking for suggestions. I was really unsure how to measure the room also... b/c the room has a dinning area connected right to it, and I did not measure the dinning part of it. Money is not the problem to an extent, I just want it to sound great! Being enveloped in the movie would be awesome. When I am home I watch movies and dvr stuff, my wife listens to music on it sometimes.

I would say that McIntosh would be one of your worst choices for these speakers.

Why is this the case? Is there something that I'm not aware of?:confused: Not trying to be argumentative but just curious. Are you referring to just McIntosh tube amps or the whole line including SS?

Why is this the case? Is there something that I'm not aware of?:confused: Not trying to be argumentative but just curious. Are you referring to just McIntosh tube amps or the whole line including SS?

Partly it is based on my own personal experience with the Mac line, both solid state and tube. I just don't think they produce their best sound with electrostatic speakers and I don't really think their solid state amps sound that great even on dynamic speakers.

Partly it is also my personal opinion that the McIntosh gear is overpriced for what you get. I have heard directly from Mac dealers that reliability is not what it used to be for this brand and it is priced at a premium for the brand name and heritage. And, quite simply, the Mac solid state gear, which this person would probably be using if his main goal is home theater, just doesn't really sound that great for the money. Again, this is just my personal opinion, but also reflects opinions of many others that I have talked with about these very questions.

Bottom line, for home theater or music, I believe there is an awful lot of much better gear (higher quality and better-sounding) for the money than McIntosh -- especially to drive Martin Logan speakers.

Thank you Rich for your response. While I am quite satisfied with how my Mac performs on the Vantages I have not tested very many amps with Martin Logans. So the only advice that I could give VPTampa is to check it out and see what you think since it was already on your mind when you asked the question. Good luck and I'm sure you'll be very happy with your new Logans. Enjoy!:D

I agree with Rich, go with speakers better sized to the room, Vantages would be fine, the Spire might also do well, but could easily overdrive the room with the larger panels.

Improving the processor is a must, especially if movies are high are on your list. A good Receiver is the Denon 4308, and if willing to part with a bit more cash, a Denon AVP-HD1 processor + a good multichannel amp, like a Sunfire TGA5400 would be a pretty good combo.

Either way, you get a very usable, high-quality system.

Also, don’t forget to look into some room treatments. A room that size could definitely use some.

I am also very satisfied with how my McIntosh 205 performs with my Vantages. It has a nice warm sound and is very detailed. Build quality appears to be excellent with the 205 and my Mc 871 dvd player.

Vantages and you're set. Actually, you can get away with Vistas...

Back