Star Trek movie..

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Add the words “Alternative time line” and you can you mess with the Star Trek universe. Based on the success of this movie looks like 2 more will be on the way.

By the way I loved the movie. Very well done!!!

C'mon guys. I enjoy watching movies on my HT as much as the next guy. In fact, it's been about 2 years since I've seen a movie in a theater. But the new Star Trek, at the IMAX is pretty darn cool. It's not like you're watching this.

Well yes, IMAX is very cool, and no HT can reproduce that overall effect if you are in the middle row, middle center seats.

However, the last IMAX experience I had was really, really crappy. I got the next to right-most seat in the place. :mad:

In Imax theaters (at least in Vegas) you can NOT pick your seat, it's random luck of the draw as they fill the venue. That's was the last time I waste my money on IMAX.

Were you able to pick your seat in the theater you went to?

Last edited:
Kerry and I just got back from seeing the Star Trek movie in IMAX.

PERFECT. Not one complaint from this lifelong ST fan... loved all of it. Well done from start to finish.

Hear, hear! Superb - Spock and Kirk both magnificent...their own take but with empathy to original and great humour. The rest of the ensemble were great too; I liked the little nods to Star Wars and Top Gun. Due on at IMAX London soon so I may just have to experience that as I have never been to it but have been to the Vancouver IMAX often...often co-located with science centres here.

I love my HT but will never give up seeing movies on that GIANT screen esp. for this type of movie. I also saw 'Lawrence of Arabia' on 70mm print at Greenwich not long ago and it was breathtaking - not that I'm not impatient for the Bluray release date to be announced! 'Star Trek' will be on the list now too.

Anyway, even if there is no Director's Lounge at your venue (I miss the DL armchairs and private bar in the Greenwich Picturehouse greatly too!), stick on a nose peg to cope with the proximity of the hoi polloi (or in my case to avoid retching at the smell of buttered popcorn!) and rejoin society...

You might even get bitten by the bug again...maybe all those suddenly keen wives are dropping y'all hints, folks!

As a somewhat dedicated Trekkie (don't do conventions and no, I don't own a uniform) I found the movie to be really great.
It doesn't have the deeper meaning of traditional ST and instead balls-out-action :)
We don't have IMAX here so I had to watch it in far worse quality than my own HT but what the hey, I needed to see it quickly and not wait until xmas for a BD release.
Highly recommended!
Now all we need for Star Trek 2 is at least the inclusion of Q and I'm a happy camper :D

EDIT: I would've included Shatner in the voiceover at the end of the movie which were done by Nimoy, that way they wouldn't have had to force in the old Kirk in the movie but would still manage to please us nerds :)

Last edited:
I'm probabaly the only one!

I loved the movie myself. Even my GF who is not really into the Trek series liked it. I am glad they used Nimoy's Spock character (more interesting history overall) instead of Shatner's Kirk. I have nothing against Shatner and loved him in the series and movies but c'mon people he was brought back in the "Generations" movie. Suddenly I need to watch "The menagerie" pilot again.

Jonathan,

I've gone to numerous IMAX presentations and have enjoyed all of them.

The key to getting a "good" seat is to attend a presentation with a realtively small audience.

With all due respect, I really wish you would be a bit more humble at times. I appreciate most of your insights and comments but sometimes you are a bit over the top extolling your system's capabilities. :rolleyes:

IMHO, babydoc sets a very good example in this regard.

GG

saw it last night at IMAX -- It was awsome.... I was the perfect age when it first came on tv ... 8 years old.... I liked it then - and this movie...I thought...was really,really good.... Young Spock, young Kirk - great casting....Two thumbs up - highly recommended.

On another note - seems like we have people on this forum lately - that seem to think that should tell people how to say things, when to say things...and if they should say things at all.... Can we just let the moderators handle that?

saw it last night at IMAX -- It was awsome.... I was the perfect age when it first came on tv ... 8 years old.... I liked it then - and this movie...I thought...was really,really good.... Young Spock, young Kirk - great casting....Two thumbs up - highly recommended.

On another note - seems like we have people on this forum lately - that seem to think that should tell people how to say things, when to say things...and if they should say things at all.... Can we just let the moderators handle that?
Just what are you saying?

Jonathan,

I've gone to numerous IMAX presentations and have enjoyed all of them.

The key to getting a "good" seat is to attend a presentation with a realtively small audience.

Gordon, I'm afraid that condition is not about to happen on opening week for the ST movie at any Imax venue ;)

I have been to Imax theaters where I did get the good seats, and no question the visual experience is unique.

A friend just saw ST at a new theater with a huge 'scope screen and raved about the visuals.

With all due respect, I really wish you would be a bit more humble at times. I appreciate most of your insights and comments but sometimes you are a bit over the top extolling your system's capabilities. :rolleyes:

IMHO, babydoc sets a very good example in this regard.

GG

Maybe you missed some of the smileys on that post above. I was being a bit facetious on purpose.

However, I do stand by the fact (for me) that I've yet to hear a better sound reproduction at any theater.

Let's not confuse loud with good. Most theaters can do loud pretty well, some even do loud relatively cleanly, but none in my experience cover the full range without some significant distortion or lack of extension somewhere.

More often than not, the multiplex theaters are just painful experiences and I avoid them.

And not that my experience is unique, just uncommon. The same friend that saw this movie on the big 'scope screen commented that his Meridian Digital theater (in a dedicated HT room) sounded much better than the blaring, screeching experience at the movie theater. And I’m not surprised, his HT also sounds extremely good and better than any theater I’ve been to.

So movie theaters have managed to pull ahead on video, just with sheer size and using good DLP 4K PJ’s.

But for audio, not for me.

However, I do stand by the fact (for me) that I've yet to hear a better sound reproduction at any theater.

I have to agree with Jonathan here. I haven't been to a theater in years now, because I got tired of blowing a lot of cash for a sub-par experience, when the audio/video in my own media room blows everything available in my town out of the water! And having experienced Jonathan's system, I have to agree that I would rather watch a new movie in his room than in any theater in Atlanta!

And Gordon, I have to disagree with you for getting on to Jonathan for extolling the virtues of his system. That is what this site is all about! We are all constantly extolling the virtues of our systems. If we weren't allowed to voice pride in our own systems, half this site would be shut down. And as much money, work and effort as Jonathan has put into his, he is certainly entitled to show a little pride of ownership.

And as much money, work and effort as Jonathan has put into his, he is certainly entitled to show a little pride of ownership.

Well said Rich. Jonathan, when Start Trek comes out on BluRay give me a call if you need help filling one of your seats.:D

Glen

I have to agree with Jonathan here. I haven't been to a theater in years now, because I got tired of blowing a lot of cash for a sub-par experience, when the audio/video in my own media room blows everything available in my town out of the water! And having experienced Jonathan's system, I have to agree that I would rather watch a new movie in his room than in any theater in Atlanta!

And Gordon, I have to disagree with you for getting on to Jonathan for extolling the virtues of his system. That is what this site is all about! We are all constantly extolling the virtues of our systems. If we weren't allowed to voice pride in our own systems, half this site would be shut down. And as much money, work and effort as Jonathan has put into his, he is certainly entitled to show a little pride of ownership.

oh....yeah... That's what I was trying to say!! Thanks Rich....tim.

Back