stage/distortion

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
does anyone know if the stage center channel has had problems with having distortion in the upper freq. driver or electrostatic element? I have noticed this in mine for awhile. i'm in the process of changing thing around. who should i contact at martin logan. thanks

does anyone know if the stage center channel has had problems with having distortion in the upper freq. driver or electrostatic element? I have noticed this in mine for awhile. i'm in the process of changing thing around. who should i contact at martin logan. thanks

Hola...you should check first the amplfier that you are using to drive the Stage. As you know, the electrostatic speaker is the most transparent device on earth. To my understanding, it is telling you that perhaps your amp is over driven, or something is wrong with the signal applied. Swap the channels for a moment to find out if you have the same problem. If the problem remains the same, please contact Melodie Brouhard at ML service dept. She will guide you better to track from where you have the problem. Happy listening,
Roberto.

stage

Thanks Roberto for the reply, i exchanged the center channel with the right channel and i can still hear it in just the Hi Freq driver. more noticable with classical music than vocal or rock, jazz. I am using a THX Bryston 5 channel amp for my summits, Sl3's and stage. i have no ideahow long it has been this way.

Thanks Roberto for the reply, i exchanged the center channel with the right channel and i can still hear it in just the Hi Freq driver. more noticable with classical music than vocal or rock, jazz. I am using a THX Bryston 5 channel amp for my summits, Sl3's and stage. i have no ideahow long it has been this way.
Is the problem when you play it loud? Could be a ringing tweeter? When you have the problem is it more into violin or piano at loud passages? If you bring the level down, do you have the same problem? Remember to cut the frequency response at 80Hz THX, for the Stage. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Ken,

My stage does the same thing (I think). I notice it particularly on Piano pieces, some times clarinet. It's like a fuzzy haze that surounds the notes. The Gould Goldberg Variations on Zenph set it off unmercifully. I sent my stage back to ML, they pronounced it just fine, reattached it to my system and still have the same problem. I've swapped amplifiers (I use mono's on the front), Pre-pro channels, all to no avail. I even took the stage to the dealer (Audio Visions Solon) and connected to their system using my amp. Guess what. No problem... played perfectly. I don't know what the problem is. I don't notice any issues with movies, and I can play the Gould disc in Stereo to avoid the unplesant noises in the Stage.

Maybe it's something about our wonderful Northeast Ohio winters. I'm stumped as far as the buzz in my stage. Let me know if you find out anything. Jim Powers at ML was the one who looked at it for me and said it was all fine. Maybe some new eyes and ears at ML can find out what is wrong with yours and we can applie that knowlege to mine.

Chuck

stage

Chuck as soon as i hear from them i will let you know.

I replaced the stage today with a dynamic book shelf speaker and it had no distortion at all. As a matter of fact when i ran a balance test it matched the summits better than the stage. My stage sounds nothng like the summits but i am sure it can't but i should at least come close.

stage

Chuck: heard from martin logan and they had me run some tests and it ends up that it is the stat panel not the hi-freq driver. they had me unplug the stat panel wait 30 min. then listen to determine if it was the tweeter i heard no distortion till i plugged back in the stat panel. hope this helps. Oh they want me to ship it back.

Chuck: heard from martin logan and they had me run some tests and it ends up that it is the stat panel not the hi-freq driver. they had me unplug the stat panel wait 30 min. then listen to determine if it was the tweeter i heard no distortion till i plugged back in the stat panel. hope this helps. Oh they want me to ship it back.

Distorsion means bad power supply!... not a user replacement...happy listening,
Roberto.

stage

Roberto: Since i replaced a power supply for my depth and grotto sub and stat panels for my SL3's with my Logans they decided to send me the stat panel and power supply. Martin Logan feels it is the stat panel very seldom it is a power supply. Do you by any chance have pictures of your show rooms and pictures of your business? thanks

I replaced the stage today with a dynamic book shelf speaker and it had no distortion at all. As a matter of fact when i ran a balance test it matched the summits better than the stage. My stage sounds nothng like the summits but i am sure it can't but i should at least come close.

I would like to try to demo some dynamic center channels to see if I could get a reasonable match to the Summits. Maybe I will try to make it over to my local shop this weekend and grab some to test with.

Ken,

Interesting. I may have to revisit my stage and try that, though I think I tried that the first time. They also had me swap out the stat power supply board in the stage before I shipped it back. That board swap was a bit of a pain because there isn't a lot of room to work with.

Tonight I'll see if the noise is still there with the stat unplugged.

I am having same type of high end distortion. Sorry for the question question, but what is Stat panel?
I have Vantage sides and Stage center and at high volume the high end becomes irritating and people are literally running for cover.

From which speaker is the distortion coming from? We need more details, waynwass?

ETA: never mind I read the info in the other thread.

Last edited:
stage

I want everyone to know how well Martin Logan has taken care of my problem so far. Scott Gribble determined that my stat panel on the stage was defective. I received the stat panel and power supply and replaced both and i still have the same problem. I wrote him allot of emails which he answered all of them. We tried different things with no success. So he is going to issue me a call tag for pickup since they only pay one way i offered to pay to ship it back. They are confused on what it might be so they are anxious to get it back so they can determine what my problem might be. I will keep you in touch of what they find.

Back