Squeezebox touch music directories

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
I have multiple versions of music stored on my pc. Is there a way to tell the touch what directory to look in? Currently I have a lossless directory and an mp3 directory and if I get a touch am hoping I can point it to the lossless directory. Thanks Tim

You can specify multiple directories within the Squeezebox Server software, and switch sources on the fly from the Squeezebox Touch, it's remote, or various smartphone controller apps.

thanks sleepysurf.... So - if I have the same song in multiple directories and the first in the path is the 'lossless' directory - will it default to that - or will it just show both files --- the losseless and the mp3? I mean - I could just leave the mp3 out of the path... just wondered... Guessing it would show both if I included both the lossless and mp3 directory in the path? I'm just trying to avoid a mess down the road......

If you have a single or multiple directories with duplicate albums/tracks (one lossless, the other mp3), I suspect the Squeezebox index will create duplicate entries, which could get messy. Would be best to just use your lossless directory, unless you also have a lot of lossy files you want to listen to. I believe there is also a way to include a "sub-directory" shortcut (i.e. pointing to your mp3 files) using the Squeezebox Server software, but I'm not sure how to do that. If you'd like more technical guidance, I would post this question over in the Slimdevices Forum... http://forums.slimdevices.com/

The Squeezebox will look at all files under a directory. If you have MP3 versions as well, then you'll need to put them in an independent (not nested) directory.

You may be able to tell the Squeezebox Server to ignore any .MP3 file, however I have never used this and am not sure if you can. I'm at work now so can't check.

Thanks amey. Yes I have everything in independent directories that are not nested.

Thanks amey. Yes I have everything in independent directories that are not nested.

Huh - then point SB Server at the directory that contains the lossless files and you shouldn't be seeing duplicates. :confused: :confused: :confused:

::EDIT:: Unless you are pointing it at your entire file system (top level, root). If that is the case, then as above - point it actually to the individual top-level directory that contains the LOSSLESS files only.

THEN:

If there are some MP3 files you actually want in your SB database, create shortcuts to those files/albums under the lossless directory. So you'll end up with a file system that looks much like this:

Root filesystem ( / )
*/Music
**/MP3s
**/Lossless <---------Point SB Server HERE.
***/Lossless Album 1
***/Lossless Album 2
***/Lossless Album 3
***/MP3 Inclusions
*****/MP3 Album 2 .lnk <---------Shortcuts to specific MP3 Albums you want in your databse
*****/MP3 Album 5 .lnk

Last edited:
Ok. That sounds like a plan. I don't have the touch but didn't want to create a possible mess. Sounds like I will be ok. I am considering one and have been ripping discs in lossless and mp3 format. I just wasn't sure if you gave the software a directory etc to look at. It seems like iTunes finds everything even if you give it a different 'save' directory.

Ok. That sounds like a plan. I don't have the touch but didn't want to create a possible mess. Sounds like I will be ok. I am considering one and have been ripping discs in lossless and mp3 format. I just wasn't sure if you gave the software a directory etc to look at. It seems like iTunes finds everything even if you give it a different 'save' directory.

You know you don't need a Squeezebox Touch to download Squeezebox Server, install it, and start playing with it, right?

You can even download SqueezePlay or SoftSqueeze which are software "Squeezeboxes" to connect to the database and test.

Last edited:
Makes total sense amey. I plan on creating everything lossless then converting via iTunes ( per the other thread). If my kid or wife need to play the mp3s because I didn't create a lossless version - I will handle with shortcuts per your suggestion. Thanks Tim

Back