Squeezebox or Transporter (again)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KCL,

I just purchased a SB3 with Bolder digital modifications last week and connected it to my Primare SPA21 integrated amp. The SPA21 has it's own built in Burr-Brown DACs, PCM1738 to be exact. I'm not sure what type of amp you're going to hook it up with, but when I hooked up the SB3 to the SPA21, I couldn't tell the difference in sound vs. my Primare CD21 which also has the same DACs as the SPA21. I've been wondering if the SB3 would sound better with an outboard DAC like the Benchmark or the Lavry, but so far I like the sound and it saves me about a $1000 which could be better spent on other things like Hard Drives I need for all the CDs I have to convert to FLAC. Speaking about FLAC, anyone know a good web site to download in the FLAC format?

In any case, if you have an integrated amp with a built in DAC, you may want to try it out before shelling out some big bucks for an outboard DAC. Just my $.02.

Z

P.S. TomDac - if you're still looking for a 5 channel amp - there's a Primare SPA21 in the Pasadena, CA BB Magnolia store for $2k if I recall correctly. It's a wonderful amp and you have 30 days to give it a shot.

Last edited:
Well then, what about SACD or DVD-A quality? Will I be able to get this level of quality from an SB3/DAC or Transporter without having to buy transport hardware?

P.S. TomDac - if you're still looking for a 5 channel amp - there's a Primare SPA21 in the Pasadena, CA BB Magnolia store for $2k if I recall correctly. It's a wonderful amp and you have 30 days to give it a shot.

Thanks... Not ready to buy yet.... Still waiting for my bonus at work! :eek:

What benefits does the SB offer compared to ripping to your computer, assuming it's in the same room as your listening system and using an digital audio interface such as the ones RME or others have? Just seems that you could save even more money not buying the SB. I play music on my second system with music ripped to the hardrive using an RME and DAC-1. Sounds great!

Well then, what about SACD or DVD-A quality? Will I be able to get this level of quality from an SB3/DAC or Transporter without having to buy transport hardware?

Unfortunately, I've never auditioned an SACD or a DVD-A, so I can't comment on how it compares to an SB3/DAC combo. If you're considering higher quality options, take a look at what Empirical Audio has to offer. Their web site is: www.empiricalaudio.com

What benefits does the SB offer compared to ripping to your computer, assuming it's in the same room as your listening system and using an digital audio interface such as the ones RME or others have? Just seems that you could save even more money not buying the SB. I play music on my second system with music ripped to the hardrive using an RME and DAC-1. Sounds great!

1. You would have to figure out a way to control the music selection from your chair.

2. You need 1 computer for each system.

3. You need a PC in the room at all times.

1. You would have to figure out a way to control the music selection from your chair.

2. You need 1 computer for each system.

3. You need a PC in the room at all times.

The other option of course is to spend like $55 on ebay or $110 buy it now on a dock for your iPod and just use that... The dock that I have (DLO Delux) has a remote and displays everything on your pod on your TV screen! VERY COOL and you can browse it from the comfort of your prime listening spot.

Just to let everyone know, I started another thread on this SACD/DVD-A topic.

Peteys,

To add to Joey's list:
When music is processed by the sound card of a computer it will be exposed to a very noisy environment. On the other hand, the SlimServer software on the computer streams the unaltered/undecoded bitstream to a Squeezebox/Transporter. These are far away from the noisy PC environment.

The issue Transporter vs Screechbox is resolved

Well, for me at least (and sorry for the bad pun). I put my money where my mouth has been, and bought the CIAudio VDA-2/VAC-1 combo to enhance my Squeezebox. Adieu, Transporter, you won't be needed here. CIAudio celebrate their 10th anniversary, so they throw in give-aways. I'll start a separate thread for that.

FWIW, here is a link to a review of the VDA-2 by an Audio Asylum inmate: http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=digital&n=126982&highlight=vda-2&r=&session=

Employ prudent scepticism while reading it ;).

Back