Sqeezebox Duet and . . . Opinions please

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

music again

Reaction score
I know there a lot of sqeezebox (Duet) users on the forum and so I am asking for a little help here!

I purchased the Duet and a Maxtor OneTouch4 1TB external hard drive the other day. I only have an 80 Gig HD on my 6 year old Dell desktop and so I decided to go the USB external drive route to store my iTunes tracks. Unfortunately I did not copy all of my CD's originally in a lossless format, so I guess I have to start from scratch :(

Questions:

What format should I copy the CD's to iTunes in?

I am currently using an Oppo 981 as my source. I have Summits, a Sanders two channel power amp and a Cary SLP-03 tube pre amp. I recently added a Shunyata Hydra 8 for everything except for the Sanders amp, which is now on a Hydra 4. My source is the weakest link right now. I have about $2,200 to play with on this "project". The options I am considering are:

Purchase a Cambridge Audio 840C CDP and use the DAC via optical on the Squeezebox. That way I'd have a CDP with a DAC that actually has TWO optical outs, just in case I got crazy and got a Wadia iPod doc down the road :rolleyes:

In the future purchase the Oppo Blue Ray player that will have SACD capability. I only have a handfull of SACD's but once I heard those, I figured I'd need SACS capability. The Blue ray Oppo would then handle DVD's and SACD.

OR . . .

I could get a SACD player like a Marantz SA-11s2, but that lists for $3,499. I'd have to check if I could hook the Squeezebox to its DAC.

OR . . .

I could skip the CDP and go with a dedicated DAC, like the Benchnark DAC-1, and still use the future Oppo for SACD's.

I see in the new 2009 Music direct catalog on page 49, they are suggesting a CIAUDIO VDC-SB 5.0 volt power supply for the Squeezebox. I'm "assuming" it's for the Duet as well. Does this really make a difference?

Is this fun or what? :music:

Joe M.

Last edited by a moderator:
Enough questions there!

Unfortunately, if you didn't copy your music in lossless format you're going to have to start again. Thankfully with lossless you're preserving all data so you'll hopefully never need to do it again. If you're using iTunes, use Apple Lossless - that is the only lossless format that iTunes supports. Alternatively you can use FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec, an open source encoder that is available for use with other rippers). iTunes is a reasonable ripper, however if you have many damaged or scratched CDs you may find others rippers (like EAC) better. EAC is primarily a ripper, but will then encode with whatever encoder you choose - by default FLAC, but you can also use the ALAC command line encoder if you like. The Squeezebox natively handles FLAC, so if you're only doing this for the Squeezebox, it might be better to use FLAC. ALAC is better if you want compatibility with iPods or for pure ease of use/ripping. I've done tests and they give identical results sound-quality wise. I've got a mixture of about 50/50.

Regarding what components, I'd go with a stand-alone DAC such as the Benchmark. It's certainly not insignificant that this will give you expansion and flexibility options in the future. But don't put your head in the sand - there are heaps of other DACs available too - Stello, Musical Fidelity, Cambridge Audio (the new DACMAGIC), Russ Andrews, et al. Listen to a few and see which ones you like. The Benchmark is certainly good - it's just not the be all and end all of DACs!!

Last edited:
If you're using iTunes, use Apple Lossless - that is the only lossless format that iTunes supports.

Alternatively you can use FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec, an open source encoder that is available for use with other rippers).

ALAC is better if you want compatibility with iPods or for pure ease of use/ripping. I've done tests and they give identical results sound-quality wise. I've got a mixture of about 50/50.

YIKES! I want to use iTunes as the "server/data manager". So your saying I can download from other sources in other formats and use iTunes to manage the songs?

So does that mean if I used a Wadia dock I have to use ALAC to get a lossless feed?

I am now leaning toward Apple lossless. I'll assume Apple lossless format is compatible with Windows/PC and it's just named Apple because it's thier product.

Regarding what components, I'd go with a stand-alone DAC such as the Benchmark. . . . . there are heaps of other DACs available too . . . Cambridge Audio (the new DACMAGIC)

I looked at the DACMAGIC but it looks like the upsampling rate/capability is not as "good" or at least the upsampling rate is not as high as on the 840C. That's why I figured I could get the 840C and use it as a high quality DAC. I do agree with you though that having a stand alone DAC would be more flexible for the future.

Thanks for the reply!

Joe M.

Creating Apple lossless files from AAC files already loaded

Enough questions there!

Unfortunately, if you didn't copy your music in lossless format you're going to have to start again. Thankfully with lossless you're preserving all data so you'll hopefully never need to do it again. If you're using iTunes, use Apple Lossless - that is the only lossless format that iTunes supports.

Maybe there is an easy way out, without having to reload hundreds of my CD's! :D

I just went to my iTunes song list and right clicked on a song. One of the menu options is "create apple lossless version". Sure enough it added a second song below the original AAC audio file. The AAC version is 128 kbps and takes up 3.6 MB, while the Apple lossless file shows 938 kbps and takes up 26.1 MB :eek:

So i am ASSUMING that doing this conversion in iTunes would be EXACTLY like deleting the AAC file and reloading the CD in Apple lossless format. That would be immensely easier and quicker!

Maybe there is an easy way out, without having to reload hundreds of my CD's! :D

I just went to my iTunes song list and right clicked on a song. One of the menu options is "create apple lossless version". Sure enough it added a second song below the original AAC audio file. The AAC version is 128 kbps and takes up 3.6 MB, while the Apple lossless file shows 938 kbps and takes up 26.1 MB :eek:

So i am ASSUMING that doing this conversion in iTunes would be EXACTLY like deleting the AAC file and reloading the CD in Apple lossless format. That would be immensely easier and quicker!

NO NO NO NO NO NO! It is converting the file sure enough, and making an Apple Lossless file sure enough, but it is only doing it from the lossy version you had. It can't add more data. All it has done is basically interpolate and create a whole lot of zeros in between the limited data you had.

YOU WILL NEED TO LOAD THEM AGAIN!. Listen to the file that you converted - I guarantee it will sound no different, certainly not as good as a reimported file!

I looked at the DACMAGIC but it looks like the upsampling rate/capability is not as "good" or at least the upsampling rate is not as high as on the 840C. That's why I figured I could get the 840C and use it as a high quality DAC. I do agree with you though that having a stand alone DAC would be more flexible for the future.

Thanks for the reply!

Joe M.

So you want to use a computer and iTunes as the server. In that case, a USB DAC might be the best bet such as the Benchmark DAC1USB or Musical Fidelity X-DACv8. That way, you can take the untouched digital files straight off the PC. But be aware that you will need a computer at your listening room, with all the noise and other things that go with it. You will also find it harder to control. If you use something like a Squeezebox, you can put the comptuer in another room and just have an easy to control unit in your listening room. If you use a Wadia dock, yes - you'll have to use ALAC for a lossless feed.

The most elegant solution for iTunes is to record everything in Apple lossless and to stream to an Airport Express and use the Airport optical out to your DAC. The PC/Mac can be anywhere in the house as long as its on the network.

For control, get an iPod Touch and load up the free Apple Remote software. You now have full control of iTunes throught the house via WiFi. Add another AirPort Express to powered speakers in the bedroom, basement, wherever.
I think it's a cheaper and more elegant solution to the Squeezebox if you are going to a DAC.

This is pretty much my setup (2 AirPorts) but without the DAC. The optical out is going straight into my receiver. A decent DAC is on the wish list.
Hope this helps.

Haven't tested direct optical out from my MacBook versus AirPort Express but I assume there is little or no degradation going wireless.

Back