Spires with Subwoofer?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wings

Reaction score
I am contemplating the purchase of the Spires and was wondering if any of the current owners use a sub with them (in 2 ch system only)?

I recently purchased two Grotto i subs to use with my current Acoustic Zen Adagios and they work well as a system.

Just curious...what's your take?:think:

Hi Wings,

This issue has been addressed somewhat already.

Consensus, if I recall directly, is that adding a sub or subs is not a bad thing as long as you get the sub(s) to blend with the Spires.

Some say the Spire with subs is the equal or better than the Summit without subs.

Only you can make that determination.

Use the "search" function to find out more.

Good luck.

GG

ditto to what Gordon said, but yes I do very much like the intigration of my sub with my Spires.

Even the Summit with dual woofers benefits from an excellent sub. I don't see how you could go wrong as long as you get a sub equal in quality to the Spire and set it up properly. (Come to think of it, there is quite a bit of potential "wrong going" in those two caveats!)

i hope he doesn't mind me saying, but i recently emailed jeff from tonepub to ask him what he thought the 'ultimate' ML system would be (minus the new CLX and summit X - the idea was a system you could get on audiogon). i purposely told him to include dual sub systems. he said he would get the spires and a single descent, which i thought was very interesting seeing as how he seems to have 'heard them all' and i really respect his opinion.

Spires and a sub

I posed the question about using a sub with the Spires because most of you
have probably 'moved up' to the Spires from the Vantages or even Summits.
Both of which have self powered woofers.
The summits with their dual woofers I believe are designed to overlap at the bass frequencies, one going lower than the other...acting more like a subwoofer?

Like someone mentioned...if not setup properly...a sub can mess things up!

I've had many speakers over the years and some I've tried to intergate with a subwoofer, but was never really happy with the results. Either you always knew they were there or they hit you over the head with a heavy bass note unexpectingly!

But I've found that 90% of the time I could get along quite nicely without a subwoofer.

The Spires have a 10 inch woofer and so does the Grotto i.

Adding a sub requires diligence...which sub?...which size driver?...it makes a difference for sure...driver size effects pitch ( even a sub !).
The Grotto i is tight and fast and has enough flexability to intergrate with the room and my current speakers...but will they make Enough of a difference with the Spires?....we'll see, Spires are set to be delivered 3/20.

I lurk on the site quite frequently as I'm sure many do, without saying much.
It is interesting to get other's inputs from time to time...in case we miss or overlook something ourselves and may even learn something new.

Last edited:
Adagios

I've had the Adagios about 9 months (new slanted baffle version) they were a Temp replacement after I sold a pair of Quad 2805 speakers...which I'm sorry I sold.
The Adagios are really very nice and I like them alot. When I get new speakers I do a shootout between current and new; looser gets sold.
The addition of the Grotto i subs make them even better, vocals and jazz
played on them can be startling at times.
The Adagios don't take up too much space and are extremely handsome speakers that my wife likes too.
So why am I moving to the spires?...it is that quest that we audionuts have dwelling inside us.
Who knows, they may very well win the shootout....we' see

From Quad 2805 to Spires

Hi Wings,

I'm not familiar with the Adagios but since you previously owned Quads I thought I would share my experience. I went from the Quad 2805's directly to the Spires. While I really loved the Quads, recurring reliability issues during the 2 years I owned them forced a trade-in back to the dealer.

I have posted my impressions of the differences previously on this forum, so I'll just summarize here. The Quads have a more prominent, layered and dense midrange as compared to the Spires. Singers seem to have a real body and can be very much in the room. Vocal and instrumental layering is more apparent and easy to discern.

But in every other aspect I prefer the Spires. They play louder, create a much bigger soundstage, have real bass, better highs and are even more transparent than the Quads. They excel on a wider range of music than the Quads.

A seasoned audiophile friend who is familiar with both my systems said that the Quads "demanded" that you listen to them while the Spires "seduce you and pull you in to the music". I think that's a pretty good comparison!

And very importantly to me, the Spires are much more reliable and are backed by a 5 year warranty by a company known for great customer service. The same can't be said of the Quads, with a 1 year warranty,

Both are great speakers but after living with the Spires for 4 months I don't miss the Quads at all.

Dave

I love all ML speakers, but as far as Subs go I am biased now towards the JL Audio Fathom 113 subs... The SL3's have absolutely no bass whatsoever imo. I bought one Fathom to replace my old 18" Velodyne sub (which was a beast) and recently purchased a second fathom because I loved it so much and because I am nuts! The JL subs match perfectly with my SL3's and they play fast, low, powerful and have visceral impact. I just think they are way better than the ML subs imo, a bit pricey but well worth it!
Each 13.5" driver has a 2,500 watt continuous power rated amp!
Give them a try, you will be hooked!

Back