Spire vs Ethos

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apman55

Reaction score
I am thinking about pulling the trigger on one or the other. What do you all think of each?
Has anyone A/B'd them?
They will be driven by either a Cary SLI-80 or Mac 7270.
Thanks in advance for your respected opinions.

No responses? I am intrigued by the Ethos. It's a newer model than the Spire, and it's less expensive. I don't think for normal sized rooms you would loose that much in spl's. Maybe a little bit in the lower frequencies. Buy the Ethos...

Thanks Edwinr,
I too am surprised there are not more comments.
A little more background. I have had Scenarios and Aeon I's in my present room. Currently use Audio Physic Scorpios. Great speakers but don't have the "sparkle" I love with electrostats.

Thanks Edwinr,
I too am surprised there are not more comments.

The Ethos is a new model. The Spire is also a reasonably new model. I think you'll find the lack of comments is due to the lack of people authorised to comment! - very few people have heard BOTH these speakers and are therefore unable to comment.

The Ethos is a new model. The Spire is also a reasonably new model. I think you'll find the lack of comments is due to the lack of people authorised to comment! - very few people have heard BOTH these speakers and are therefore unable to comment.

Hola...well both are great speakers. The Ethos is a better Vantage. Same size of low frequency driver and for the first time, ML is using a low frequency pasive woofer. Also uses a new crossover that you are allow to move up and down to match your preferences. A little bit bigger panel also than the Vantages. On the other hand the Spires...this uses a ten woofer inch, and a bigger panel. If I would have the money, the Spires are the one. Both have the
great sound of ML...happy listening,
Roberto.

Ditto to what Roberto said, yes I own the Spire's (love 'em)....have not listened to the Ethos (souped up Vantages with a passive radiator) but it comes down to your budget......buy what you can afford and enjoy the Logan sound, again as Roberto said !

Okay. I had a closer look at the specs of the Ethos. The panel is about 4 inches taller than the Vantage and about the same width. The panel on the Spire on the other hand is the same height as the Ethos, but also a couple of inches wider. In the world of Martin Logan, a couple of inches either way is a lot of (panel) real estate. I can see that the Spire would be a vastly superior transducer in larger rooms.

I have changed my view. If you can afford it, buy the Spire. If money is a problem, then the Ethos would be a very nice substitute. :music:

Last edited:
Okay. I had a closer look at the specs of the Ethos. The panel is about 4 inches taller than the Vantage and about the same width. The panel on the Spire on the other hand is the same height as the Ethos, but also a couple of inches wider. In the world of Martin Logan, a couple of inches either way is a lot of (panel) real estate. I can see that the Spire would be a vastly superior transducer in larger rooms.

I have changed my view. If you can afford it, buy the Spire. If money is a problem, them the Ethos would be a very nice substitute. :music:

Hola...two inches makes a difference!...it depends of your program material, your liking, the room, the quality of your system and cables, placement, and room treatment. To my ears, the Spire sound is effortless, more palpable. The blend of the dymanic woofer is better to the panel. There are more air and size of the instruments. The image is more 3D. This does not means that the Ethos is not capable to give us 3D or be wrong with the size of the instruments. But you can tell. Overall, the Spire is less compressed, more open. Now, this is my liking. Listen as an example, Duets track no. 6, the voice of Jennifer Warnes is projected far front and the choir is far back, with the bass next to her, the right size of the violin and those bass notes, every note is there, in your room, giving you an outstanding stage. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Hello,
It is interesting that while the Panel is bigger than the Vantage, it weighs 10 pounds less than the Vantage. I have not had a chance to listen to the Ethos, but would imagine it sounds quite good.
Cheers,
JJ

Hello,
It is interesting that while the Panel is bigger than the Vantage, it weighs 10 pounds less than the Vantage. I have not had a chance to listen to the Ethos, but would imagine it sounds quite good.
Cheers,
JJ

The box is different. Ethos had no port and a passive radiator. I would assume those two changes would net reduced weight...though 10lbs sounds like a lot.

I have listened to both but it was under completely different circumstances so it's hard to judge.
But what I have heard and read, the Ethos are a bit more "European" in style i.e. somewhat tighter in the bass and maybe suitable for smaller rooms, they also have a bit more air in the top. But, as I mentioned, these are not my own observations.
Myself I decided for Ethos and have them in a room about 25 sqm (around 250 square feet I suppose).

Latest posts

Back