Spikes... or not spikes..

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cordovox

Reaction score
Dear all

My Ascents came originally with some metal feet w/ felt pads. I have replaced it with some spikes I had and, to be honest, I don't think I've heard any difference.
However, these should not be any recomended spikes for the ML's, so, I'm wondering if I should return the "old feet" or if I should look for some more quality spikes.
Unfortunatelly, not only it's not easy to find ML spikes in the country where I live, also they are rather expensive for my pocket.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

Best regards

Hola... Well, the spikes are noticed better when you have a wooden floor. They stop the bass resonance mosty, and clear up the mids and highs. If you have tile floor, or hard surface, it is difficult to listen a big difference, but I do recommend the use once you had found the right spot for them. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Hola Roberto y gracias :)

As a matter of fact I have wooden floor, but the spikes i've tried are quite "thin". They don't seem to have robustness enough.

I'll to get some more thicker, more robust.

BTW, do you think it's better spikes with screws ( I miss the correct term, sorry) or some with glue stickers?

Thanks

Saludos

BTW, do you think it's better spikes with screws ( I miss the correct term, sorry) or some with glue stickers?
Definitely better to go with threaded spikes than ones that are glued-on.

If the Martin Logan spikes are too expensive you may want to try this site instead:

http://www.oregondv.com/

Roberto, do you know the size of the thread on the SL3?

Bernard,

I believe it's 1/4 -20. Also, I bought new spikes for my MBL's from your referenced site. Good guy. Quality work.

Gordon

Bernard, Gordon is right. They are 1/4 - 20. There are a lot out there, and very well made. On the other hand, the ML spikes are very good and very easy to use...

Been checking and after all, the ML spikes are not that expensive. I have once checked on ML's Dealer in Portugal and they have asked something around 300 or 400 Euros for each set of 4 (aprox 400/500 Usd).

What would you suggest for my Ascents, either from ML or from Oregon DV. Do you know if they sell overseas??

I was considering these: "1/4-20 MiniETC™ Spike (Each) $6.25"

Many thanks

Last edited:
Been checking and after all, the ML spikes are not that expensive. I have once checked on ML's Dealer in Portugal and they have asked something around 300 or 400 Euros for each set of 4 (aprox 400/500 Usd).
That is ridiculously expensive. The dealer should be horse-whipped as a set of 4 on the site is $100. I hope they sell to you directly.

I was considering these: "1/4-20 MiniETC™ Spike (Each) $6.25"

Many thanks
I would go for the bigger spikes from ML. They look like they have better carpet-piercing ability.

Last edited:
Yes Hocky, my mistake... thanks for the clarification. I thought as Gordon that they were 1/4. This german is killing me, do you know Al Zimmer by any chance? Just kidding,
Roberto.

Another source for high quality, solid brass spikes is Mapleshade. They do carry the common thread sizes and have models that will pierce carpeting.

GG

That is ridiculously expensive. The dealer should be horse-whipped as a set of 4 on the site is $100. I hope they sell to you directly.

I think they were referring to the Summit Spike assembly. Those are pretty spendy for the set of 8, but even if you get the big spikes the should only be about $35 (USD of course) each for 3/8, and those are really good spikes.

Your ML dealer in Portugal should be able to get them for you, if not order them, I know ML ships over seas.

Thank you all very much. However, I guess, after browsing "http://shop.martinlogan.com/collections/ascent" they are, in fact 1/4 20 threads... I'll check out more precisely and order and I will much likely order it.

You've been of great help and assistance. :)

Back