Speaker wire for Clarity

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renpar61

Reaction score
I am fairly new in the ML world. I have had a pair of Clarity for a few months, powered by Rotel gear. I am looking to upgrade the speaker wire. Using mid-level Monster Cable right now. I need about 4 ft. for each speaker, probably would go with spades terminations, it sounds like is the favorite type around here. What do you suggest in the $100 range, and is it really worth for me to even consider this?

Thanks!

Inexpensive speaker wire

Hello,

if you are looking for inexpensive speaker wire you could go with a better quality monster cable, or something like audio quest. I don't know the cost on the audio quest, but from what I hear it does a good job. I have my audio quest cables coming next month so I will let you know more then.

Also consider Zu Audio cables - great performing products with a wide range of prices to meet you budget.

Remember cables are a personal preference and system component dependent thing. What sounds good to one person may not to another. This also applies to the components being used with the cables. What sounds good on one setup, may not on another.

If a person really does not think cables make a difference, then go to Rad Shack or MonoPrice and purchase some cheapies and be happy.

Dan

A number of people like Signal Cable. If you want a nice product for the price, I'd look there first.

Cables are a notoriously fickle subject. In my opinion, with cables, it's easy to get carried away with super expensive products. I think paying upwards of $1000 for a pair of cables is nuts-but to each his own. Cables are really for fine tuning. They are totally system dependent. I'd try out several different types of cables depending on what you are after. For example, if you think your system is a bit on the bright side, I wouldn't jump into cables made with silver. Or, on the flip side, if you are looking for more detail, you might want to mess with silver cables, or silver interconnects.

Other brands to consider (see if you can get used pairs over at AudioGon or usedcable.com):

Kimber
Audio Quest
DH Labs

Happy Hunting!

Erik

Hi..
I'm actually runnig Clarity with Rotel gear also. I went a little overboard and have tried low end Transparent (not worth it), Nordost Solar Winds (very nice) but ended up settling with 'Anti-Cables'. Dollar for dollar value, they're amazing and are the sound blew me away.. even compared with the Nordost at 6x the price. Are they better than the Nordost, no, just a little different, but in my system, pretty much in the same league.
Just looked it up and 4 foot stereo set with spades are $40. pluas shipping.
You can finde them at: http://www.anticables.com/
Good luck!

Hi..
I'm actually runnig Clarity with Rotel gear also. I went a little overboard and have tried low end Transparent (not worth it), Nordost Solar Winds (very nice) but ended up settling with 'Anti-Cables'. Dollar for dollar value, they're amazing and are the sound blew me away.. even compared with the Nordost at 6x the price. Are they better than the Nordost, no, just a little different, but in my system, pretty much in the same league.
Just looked it up and 4 foot stereo set with spades are $40. pluas shipping.
You can finde them at: http://www.anticables.com/
Good luck!

Thanks!

I actually looked at Anticables before and almost bought them. I was a little concerned with the rigidity of the cable itself. Do you have any trouble with that? I have a short run so it shouldn't be a problem. Since you have the same setup your feed back is very important.
I was also looking at a pair of Kimbercable 4TC on eBay...

If anyone is interested, I went with Audioquest Type-4 preterminated cables. First of all, I was impressed with the build and packaging quality. Then, as I was skeptically not expecting much improvement over the standard Monster cables, I was in fact hugely impressed with the results! Midrange much cleaner, bass is tighter, more dynamic overall.
I'm a believer now. :bowdown:

Mapleshade

I keep harping on this manufacturer but so be it. Ok if the wire is out of the way. No stepping on allowed because of construction.

8' Golden Helix. $85. 888.236.2753.

30 day money back. IHMO, an absolute no brainer for the money and how wonderful they don't sound. By the by, there's been some recent discussion regarding the "type" of speaker wire that works with ML's. This wire is "solid core" and not stranded.

GG

By the by, there's been some recent discussion regarding the "type" of speaker wire that works with ML's. This wire is "solid core" and not stranded.

GG
I'm not sure if your remark was general or in response to my post, as the Audioquest Type 4 is made with solid LGC, not stranded wire

If anyone is interested, I went with Audioquest Type-4 preterminated cables. First of all, I was impressed with the build and packaging quality. Then, as I was skeptically not expecting much improvement over the standard Monster cables, I was in fact hugely impressed with the results! Midrange much cleaner, bass is tighter, more dynamic overall.
I'm a believer now. :bowdown:

Recently auditioned the AQ CV-8 w/DBS in place of my shotgunned AQ Indigo and there is no comparison. The CV-8 is light years better and I'll be getting some after the holidays. Both it and the CV-4/6 are discontinued and available at reduced prices though maybe not at the $100 price point.

Hi repar.. re AntiCables.. just seeing the post again.. no problems with the 'rigidity'. They're not like the drycleaner hangers. If you have extra length, just loop around a wine bottle. For my centre channel, it runs behind my cabinet, under the TV and to the speaker. They worked just fine for me. Setup was a breeze.
Goog luck!

I use Nordost Blue Heaven biwired to my Aeon i speakers and it sounds just great.

Back