Speaker Cable Help

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonfly1

Reaction score
Looking for some advise.

I realize that I need some new speaker wire but don't know what to buy and don't want to spend a fortune. Can anyone help?

Cables have an enormous price range, so I don't know how much you're looking to spend. I've tried a few different kinds of speaker wire in my system, and my favorite of the ones I've tried is the DH Labs Silversonic Q10. Available at http://www.silversonic.com/, it's really cheap if you buy it unterminated in bulk, but the terminated cable pairs they sell are not that expensive.

Great recommendation Feltran! I will look at those. Ive been looking for an affordable bulk cable. What do you like about them, can you expand??

Dragonfly1,

It would be helpful if you told us a little more about your system because not spending a furtune has different meanings to each of us.

Those Q10's do look interesting although I've never tried them. If you are looking for value, you might also look at Blue Jeans Cable.

www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

Also on the let's be extremely frugal front the current issue of "Stereophile" with their 500 recommended components issue actually recommends (cough, cough) RadioShack SW-1650 at $8.99/50ft. And they wonder why I cancelled my subscription in 1978.

Looking for some advise.

I realize that I need some new speaker wire but don't know what to buy and don't want to spend a fortune. Can anyone help?

Signal cable is an overall excellent choice - great value and from what I hear excellent customer service.

Other nice brands: Kimber, DH Labs, and Zu come to mind.

You can also purchase (and try before you buy) used cables. Take a look at:

http://www.thecableco.com/

I second everything eknuds01 said. I personally use Signal Cable silver resolution series in my system and think they are a great value.

Dragonfly1,

It would be helpful if you told us a little more about your system.

agreed, more info is needed.......also do a search this topic gets discussed on a 'quarterly basis'........with that being said, like Rich I endorse Erik's reply as well.

Great recommendation Feltran! I will look at those. Ive been looking for an affordable bulk cable. What do you like about them, can you expand??

The cable itself is not too thick and flexible enough for my needs (unlike the old Zu Audio cables that I found too bulky, however I haven't tried Zu's new cables that are thinner), and I found them to have an overall nice balance. I attempted to replace them with the significantly more expensive Nordost Frey, and while I think the Frey cables were a little bit brighter and crisper, the Q-10 delivered a stronger low-end that for me makes everything come together a little better.

However, as I write this, it occurs to me that while I do have a subwoofer, I rarely turn it on for music, and typically rely just on the bass from the Spires. I'm not sure whether or not using a subwoofer full time would have affected my overall judgment.

Has anyone here tried Kimber Cable? Their new cable, 12TC, got a really good review in a recent TAS.

Has anyone here tried Kimber Cable? Their new cable, 12TC, got a really good review in a recent TAS.

I use some of their interconnects and I plan on getting some kimber speaker cables too. A ways back dtb300 ran a number of cables through my system and we both thought the kimbers did exceptionally well.

I use some of their interconnects and I plan on getting some kimber speaker cables too. A ways back dtb300 ran a number of cables through my system and we both thought the kimbers did exceptionally well.
Parts Connexion has it available in bulk, $20/ft for 8TC, and $31/ft for 12TC.

Hey Guys,

Great thread. Love seeing what folks are using to string their components together. I hope the OP feels more comfortable now wrt choices after all the input.

At that price and given the many positive comments , I may have to pick up a set of the Silver Resolutions - just to try them out!

I run Morrow Audio SP6 Grand Reference currently and LOVE them. The are wide, wide open and allow my MLs to eek out every last pico-dyne of resolving power (pico-dyne, really? - yes, I'm going with pico-dyne). Not the cheapest on the block, but best I have ever owned. (and no... I get no kick-backs from Morrow, but maybe I should check with them on that?)

Cheers

Attachments

• sp3top.jpg
    sp3top.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 102
Back