Soundsmith - The Voice Ebony...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowGEEZR

Reaction score
Just installed and listened to my new cartridge, The Voice Ebony, and am one happy camper. :band::clap::banana:

I have been impressed by Soundsmith products ever since I first heard some of their products at RMAF and when a great deal on this cartridge came up, I jumped on it. Though I haven't listened to it much yet, I am already astonished by what I am hearing in comparison to my Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood. The icing on the cake is that I didn't even have to change the cartridge loading in my BAT phono amp for this cartridge!

I have been impressed by Soundsmith products ever since I first heard some of their products at RMAF

As I recall, their "Strain Gauge" cartridge/preamp sounded absolutely superb at RMAF. Enjoy your new cartridge!

Which BAT phono stage are you using Steve? I didn't even realize you had one. I'm sure you're going to very much enjoy that new cartridge. You'll be busy for some time rediscovering your LP collection!

Thanks guys, I'm loving it so far. Tim, I have been using the BAT VK-P5 for around six years, now. I think it is a great phono amp, at least to my ears.

Thanks guys, I'm loving it so far. Tim, I have been using the BAT VK-P5 for around six years, now. I think it is a great phono amp, at least to my ears.

Hey Steve, congrats on the new hardware!

So did you look into the Strain Gauge at all? I was completely fascinated by that tech when I first read it about it a few years ago.

Hey Steve, congrats on the new hardware!

So did you look into the Strain Gauge at all? I was completely fascinated by that tech when I first read it about it a few years ago.

I'd love to have the Strain Gauge, but it costs! Plus, I can use my preamp with this cartridge, with the Strain Gauge you are forced to buy one of Soundsmith's preamps. I believe the price is around $5K for the least expensive preamp/cartridge combo. I've read that The Voice is the sweet spot in his lineup.

Hi Steve,

To the best of my knowledge, guess who was the first person (or one of the first) who started praising and selling / marketing the Soundsmith cartridges.

Your buddy and mine, Pierre Sprey / Mapleshade.

Gordon

Steve, congrats on the new addition, I too was quite impressed with what I heard a few years back @ RMAF. Good to know the synergy is there with the uni-pivot arm.

Just installed and listened to my new cartridge, The Voice Ebony, and am one happy camper. :band::clap::banana:

I have been impressed by Soundsmith products ever since I first heard some of their products at RMAF and when a great deal on this cartridge came up, I jumped on it. Though I haven't listened to it much yet, I am already astonished by what I am hearing in comparison to my Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood. The icing on the cake is that I didn't even have to change the cartridge loading in my BAT phono amp for this cartridge!

Cool! To bad I just received a Rega Exact yesterday for my new table. We could have worked something out on your Virtuoso. I really need to get up to your place for some listening.

Cool! To bad I just received a Rega Exact yesterday for my new table. We could have worked something out on your Virtuoso. I really need to get up to your place for some listening.

This month we're meeting at Lee's place, but next month it's at my place. I'll send you the info in a few weeks. What new table did you get? I've still got my Scout.

Steve, congrats on the new addition, I too was quite impressed with what I heard a few years back @ RMAF. Good to know the synergy is there with the uni-pivot arm.

Thanks Dave. Yes, it works with the uni-pivot. It is more sensitive to heavy footfalls on the floor, due to its light tracking - 1.3gms!

I still have my Clearaudio Champion II in the living room and the Kenwood KD-500 with the 750 arm in the back room. I replicated a Roksan Radius 5 in 1" bubinga I had left over from my horn build for a third vinyl rig. I mounted an RB-251 I rewired in silver.

Roksan18.jpg

Last edited:
I still have my Clearaudio Champion II in the living room and the Kenwood KD-500 with the 750 arm in the back room. I replicated a Roksan Radius 5 in 1" bubinga I had left over from my horn build for a third vinyl rig. I mounted an RB-251 I rewired in silver.

Roksan18.jpg

stunning rig!

Kenwood KD-500 with the 750 arm in the back room.

Luthor, I too had the same table back 'in the day', mine was shod with a Premier mmt arm and a Grace F9e super.

I replicated a Roksan Radius 5 in 1" bubinga I had left over from my horn build for a third vinyl rig. I mounted an RB-251 I rewired in silver.

I hate talented guys like you............. only kidding you know, it looks superb !!

Back