Sonos? Comments

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaboomnash

Reaction score
I was in a severe audio slump (lack of guidance or motivation) for awhile and now I am getting motivated again after attending the RMAF.
I was shown the Sonos systems today at Listen Up in Denver; anyone liking their's. Anyone not so happy? Right now I am doing lots of SACD listening and DVD movie watching in the house, but considering some streaming-type audio.
I recently purchased ATS Acoustic panels, Auralex Subdude isolation riser and thinking where to go next. Still trying to get the room and or speakers to disappear when listening. I am such a novice.
Maybe the Sonos money would be better spent upgrading my Sony ES AVR. I was shown the Marantz and Rotel AVRs today. I really want HDMI inputs.
So much to do, why can't I be happy with what I have?:music:

Lee

Hey Lee, we can be happy with what we have, but we all still want a little more. Sorry I missed you last week, and also sorry for never answering your e-mail from a few weeks ago. I get about 700 e-mails a day and some just get lost in the grid.

Hey, I got a Sonos set up earlier this year and while I was sceptical at first I have to say that I absolutely LOVE it. Sound through my Dosdson Audio DAC in the listening room is great - I'd say better than redbook, but a little short of SACD through my Esoteric. The thing I really like though is the convenience and the fact that with the Controller I can essentially access all of my digital music from anywhere in the house. I've got ZP90's in the family room and loft, plus the family room also provides me music out on the deck and patio. I've got all the music I want just about anywhere I want and since it's wireless the controller works great way out on the patio. I have absolutely no buyers remorse about it other than the fact that the new controller is smaller and a touchscreen - so there's an extra cool gadget factor.

Let me know if you'd like to come over and listen to it sometime, we need to have you over anyway.

Those (music servers in general) are so cool. They'll change your listening habits forever. And that's before you've discovered the world of internet radio!

Yes - you'll no doubt benefit from upgrading that Sony, so my advice.......look into the Squeezebox and with the money you save, upgrade the Sony too.

Why said you can't have your cake and eat it too!

Adam's got a good point. If you don't need to use the controller in several rooms (I do) then the Squeezebox will save you about $250.00. That being said, if you have an iPhone the Sonos controller software is free and a ZP90 alone ends up being about $50.00 less than the Squeezebox. It completely depends on how much control you need and how many zones you want. The Squeezebox is likely closer to offering true Hi-Rez streaming though if that's important to you (and why wouldn't it be?).

Squeezebox indeed does offer high-rez streaming in the forthcoming Squeezebox Touch and in the existing Transporter. Although, with either of those products, wave goodbye to any savings over the Sonos!

Squeezebox too, has a iPhone/iTouch controller application.

Sonos and Squeezebox are both fantastic products - you can't go wrong with either!

I get about 700 e-mails a day and some just get lost in the grid.

WOW! I thought my 100 were a lot. Are those not including junk / spam?

Not to be nosy, but what in the world do you do that you get so many?

WOW! I thought my 100 were a lot. Are those not including junk / spam?

Not to be nosy, but what in the world do you do that you get so many?

Our firewall does a pretty good job of filtering out the spam.

I used to be the Director of Product Development for our Architectural Products Group (Cooper Lighting). About 5 months ago I was promoted to Operations Manager of our Denver facility. Unfortunately we didn't have a replacement for my old role, so we've been on the hunt and I've been covering both jobs. So I was dealing with a design staff of 17 folks spread around the country, plus the 130 that report to me in Denver, plus Division and Corporate folks in Peachtree City, GA and Houston. Fortunately my replacement for the old job starts tomorrow, so things should start to taper off.

I'll still have to deal with all the folks that can't seem to make a decision on their own, so they copy me on every damn thing that they're worried they might have to cover their backside on; but that's a whole different story!

Thanks, I like all the provided input. Nice to hear that I have options. I saw the Sonos in person at a local dealer and I have not handled the Squeezebox yet. I was able to see a savings if I got the Sonos off Amazon.
I think the Wife agrees that we need to upgrade the AVR to one with HDMI; then I can work the magic to the Sonos-type gear.

Lee

Back