Sonos audio system

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looking at multi - room / wireless audio options for my sister in law.

Anyone have any experience with Sonos?

Gordon

From what I've read, Sonos is a more "consumer" oriented streamer than the Logitech Squeezebox line, with less "technical/networking/computer" skills needed, compared to the Squeezebox/Transporter/Touch (forthcoming). It's a bit more expensive, and doesn't offer as much from an "audiophile" perspective as the Squeezebox models do, but certainly very capable and highly regarded. They offer lots of models, some amplified, and a couple controller options, in addition to an iPhone/Touch app. It would definitely be on my "short list," especially for a non-audiophile setting.

Alan,

Thanks so much for the feedback.

You feedback confirms my brief research on the product.

This person just wants reasonably good multi-room sound in a small, easy to operate package.

Sounds like it could be the ticket.

Gordon

I've had my Sonos for a few years now and love it. Have 6 zones at my house. We use it all the time. It is very easy to use. I also installed a 6 zone system at my parents house and a 3 zone system at my brothers house. Being able to get Sirius and Rhapsody through it are great. Best whole house audio system for the money I think. Very easy to add additional rooms if needed. Takes no time at all to get it up and running. I have one zone actually running my ML Montages in my living room. Works great for that too.

I've been using it for the past 9 months or so Gordon. I love the convenience of it and the fact that I can listen to my entire music library anywhere in the house where I've set up a zone, including outside the house on my deck and patio. It was very easy to set up and equally easy to use via the hand held controller - I've got the older version, not the touhscreen version. The built in DAC's in the Zone Players are pretty good, but I get even better sound running a digital output to my Dodson Audio DAC in my music room. While not the ultimate source in my system, it is none the less very, very good. I would say that since I've owned it I use it most every day!

I like it too. We just set up a 2 zone system in our store for Christmas and the new touchscreen controller is very nice. Although if you have an iPhone or iPod Touch, you might be just as well off with their app.

The S5 is a nice addition for "secondary" or portable zones. I have not heard one yet, but rumor is it sounds pretty good.

Not sure about the differences in "audiophile" features between Squeeze and SONOS. Maybe Sleepy can explain more. :) Both have digital outputs so you can use the DAC of your choice.

... Not sure about the differences in "audiophile" features between Squeeze and SONOS. Maybe Sleepy can explain more. :) Both have digital outputs so you can use the DAC of your choice.

The forthcoming Squeezebox Touch reportedly has extremely low-jitter digital output (close to the Transporters specs), so (potentially) better sounding when fed into an outboard DAC. It will also be 24/96 capable, and have a much quieter switching power supply than the older units. I don't believe the current Sonos units are 24/96 capable, but have no doubt they will eventually offer that capability.

The forthcoming Squeezebox Touch reportedly has extremely low-jitter digital output (close to the Transporters specs), so (potentially) better sounding when fed into an outboard DAC. It will also be 24/96 capable, and have a much quieter switching power supply than the older units. I don't believe the current Sonos units are 24/96 capable, but have no doubt they will eventually offer that capability.

The current Logitech Transporter also currently does 24/96. It also has a master clock connection so that you can virtually eliminate jitter (if you have compatible equipment).

A lot of the "audiophile features" of the squeezebox come from the open-source software enabling virtually anything to be done on the software side. This is how numerous features that have added audiophile cred over the years have been added this way.

Latest posts

Back