Something wrong with this pic?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
1191243655.jpg

What do you think? Do the caps normally look "shrunken" up like that (blue caps on L side...?

Just wondering.

Joey

Looks like there might be shallow cavities/depressions on the sides of the caps and the blue shrinkwrap is applied around and over them. So the caps look like they are crushed, but I don't think they are.

1191243655.jpg

What do you think? Do the caps normally look "shrunken" up like that (blue caps on L side...?

Just wondering.

Joey

For the amount of dosh Jadis gets for their amps it better not have shrunken caps.

> Something wrong with this pic?

No, the picture is fine. The caps look like they got too much heat though. ;)

I've seen large caps look like this from getting overheated. They 'puff up' from the excess heat and 'stretch' the casing, and then 'shrink' when they cool down and 'suck in' the casing. I'm not saying that's what has happened here, I've just seen it before elsewhere.

Yeah... usually if it's overheated and ready to blow, it PUFFs up.

However, these are SHRINKing.... I wonder what's up.

Joey

Unless my eyes are deceiving me, you can see depressions located circumferentially about the caps.

I've never seen caps "shrink" like that before. I have seen some big electrolytic's swell up...right before they exploded. That'll get your attention!

I sent the pic to Jadis. I'll let you know what they say. (This should be amusing :D )

Yet it's being sold for $7000. I hope he tells the buyer about these caps...

funny story....

When I was just getting into this hobby. My dealer at the time got in some Jadis amps. Within 10 min after hooking them up to some ML's they went up in smoke. The regular customers went back for the new arrival and this time not only smoke but fire. The next time we all went back and they sent the amp with a matching gold fire extinguisher. The third one worked and sounded great.

So there you have it (??)

What is wrong with these blue caps?? Are they crushed? Thanks, enquiring minds want to know ;--)
Neil Golden

Dear Mr. Golden.
No they are not crushed.
Do not hesitate to contact us toll free:1-877-430-1485 for more info.

OK, so what do you think happened to these caps?
Nothing wrong

I've seen many pictures of Jadis amplifiers, and the blue caps always look perfect cylinders.
Older model

Regards PG

Pierre Gabriel Acoustic Inc
110 Boul. des Entreprises
Boisbriand , Quebec , Canada J7G 2T3
Tel. (450) 430-1485
Fax (450) 430-0607
Toll Free USA /Canada: (877) 430-1485
www.PierreGabriel.com
[email protected]

I think this is just the way the caps are built with no outer AL sleeve under the shrink wrap.

Attachments

• 3038.jpg
    3038.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 145
Cherian, I think you're right

I think this is just the way the caps are built with no outer AL sleeve under the shrink wrap.
and if I understand M. Gabriel's remarks, Jadis now puts the cap assemblies in cans like everyone else.

Latest posts

Back