Software recommendation for DAW..?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tj Bassi

Reaction score
Does anyone on this forum use their computer to manage and/or edit their digital audio files?

In the past, I used to make my own RTR tapes, which were compiled from my favorite consumer/pre-recorded tapes and vinyl. This was a fairly easy process of finding the best level to run the source at and simply inserting a deck into the tape loop, whereas the tape deck recorded whatever was running through the preamp.

I'd like to do the same thing with my digital files, but do not have a decent sound card or the proper software to edit digital tracks. There are plenty of studios that either mix down to two-track tape or use plug-ins on their DAW's to give that analog 'warmth'....or whatever you call it....to their digital media.

Not being a professional musician or studio engineer, the choices in equipment and software seems quite daunting, but I figured that someone here is probably into it. So I want to set up a small DAW to edit and transfer digital files onto open reel tape. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tj

Wish I could say I could help you Tj but I can't. Dang, the last time I worked in a recording studio the only thing that was digital was the delay unit by Lexicon. Our reverb unit wasn't even digital, it was acoustic (analog if you will)! As we say in the audio industry, "I'm all ears", so I'll be listening to anyone with some experienced suggestions.

Does anyone on this forum use their computer to manage and/or edit their digital audio files?

In the past, I used to make my own RTR tapes, which were compiled from my favorite consumer/pre-recorded tapes and vinyl. This was a fairly easy process of finding the best level to run the source at and simply inserting a deck into the tape loop, whereas the tape deck recorded whatever was running through the preamp.

I'd like to do the same thing with my digital files, but do not have a decent sound card or the proper software to edit digital tracks. There are plenty of studios that either mix down to two-track tape or use plug-ins on their DAW's to give that analog 'warmth'....or whatever you call it....to their digital media.

Not being a professional musician or studio engineer, the choices in equipment and software seems quite daunting, but I figured that someone here is probably into it. So I want to set up a small DAW to edit and transfer digital files onto open reel tape. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tj

You will probably have better luck here: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/
while this site is not directly about recording techniques there are a good number of folks that could probable help.

cheap Microsoft Points sale 60% off

Alright, for great justice, I found a place which sells cheap Microsoft Points !go to the page itself on xbox360livepointscard.us - any game, any code, anytime! $54.99 for 10000 Microsoft points (they sell other cards/whatnots for other stores/systems as well. Check it out folks!I just did a paypal transaction today, and it worked a treat!

I use WaveLab 6, but also in the past used Sony Soundforge which is OK. WaveLab is an excellent program, it has full capabilities up to 32 tracks with a full effects bus that will use any VST plugin. If you looking for a great plugin to use with this or any program I highly recommend iZotope Ozone, its hands down the best mastering SW I have ever used. I have also tried the Audacity, which is free, but less user friendly and functional(but will get the job done).

Lots of good advice in the computer help section at taperssection.com too.

I guess the first question should have been are you PC or Mac? The above are all PC suggestions, Mac users like Logic.

Wavelab, I think they're up to 7 now, seems to be the recommended program for audio editing. Thanks for the info.....

There is much to be learned if you want to delve into digital mastering. Cool stuff. BTW...PC it is.

Tj

Excellent, I love WL. If you have any question feel free to ask. I found it to be a harder learning curve than SF, but that to be expected with such a vast program.

We recently built a 32 channel mobile recording rig, and after a trial run with Protools I opted to revert to WL.

Back