Slim Device - Transporter

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I can say the transporter sounds WAY better than the SB3 with no dac in my setup. That is the one test I could run, and its night and day. I tried this with RCA vs RCA. Also, I think the balanced sounds better than the RCA in the transporter as well. I also have better balanced cables vs RCA (audioquest colorado vs king cobra) so that's probably not a completely fair test.

Of course if it hadn't, I would have returned the transporter... :)

Thanks Kruppy. No worries though, I'm through the roughest patches of everything I think. :)

Slim Devices sales brochures states that the Transporter sounds better than many CD Players. Is it true? How is the DAC? Will my Wadia 861 sound superior when connected with Transporter's DAC? Does it remarkably inprove the sound when connected thru the Squeezebox server which has MP3 and Interner radio eg. XM Online (64kbps)?

Slim Devices sales brochures states that the Transporter sounds better than many CD Players. Is it true? How is the DAC? Will my Wadia 861 sound superior when connected with Transporter's DAC? Does it remarkably inprove the sound when connected thru the Squeezebox server which has MP3 and Interner radio eg. XM Online (64kbps)?

I would expect it to sound better the other way around: Connect the digital out of the Transporter to the digital in of the Wadia and let the latter do the conversion.

The Transporter might sound better than "many" CD players due to the inherent reduction of jitter when you don't have the timing issues associated with a mechanical device like the CD platter and laser assembly pushing out bits. Now, Wadia's transport mechanism is a first-class design, so I would be very surprised if the Transporter would better it at all.

I don't really understand your last question...

The DAC sounds great to my ears, but again, I'm no audiophile. I can't compare it with good CDPs because I've never owned one.

As for XM, I don't know since I don't listen to it. However, I can tell a huge difference between flacs (cd quality rips) and rhapsody (128 bit compressed iirc). I imagine the XM would sound worse than the rhapsody. It still sounds good, but the cd quality rips are a lot better.

0ops... my apologies... just realized that event was TODAY... already over. Hopefully they'll offer it again sometime soon.

Back