Slim Device - Transporter

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abhijit

Reaction score
Has any one used "Transporter" from Slim Device? If I have a wifi network at home, can I get the XM online channels/Yahoo music through this device ? Can anyone share some experience of this device?

If you search the archives for that you will find TONS of posts...we have many fans of the SB3 and Transporter here.

Well, I know there's a lot of SB3 users (including me), but I think there's only a few transporter users. The question between the two usually revolves around if the SB3 in combination with a high-quality DAC will outperform the transporter. The jury still seems to be out on that one.

Well, I know there's a lot of SB3 users (including me), but I think there's only a few transporter users. The question between the two usually revolves around if the SB3 in combination with a high-quality DAC will outperform the transporter. The jury still seems to be out on that one.

HOWEVER, the Transporter with a high quality DAC will outperform the SB3 because of its word clock sync. That is, if you have a DAC that can synchronise the Transporter.

That would depend on who you ask. Some say that once the jitter is in the bitstream it won't matter if the DAC masters the transport's clock or not. They even say it may harm more than do good.

As far as I am concerned, there are 100 reasons other than the clock sync feature to chose a Transporter over a SB3 plus DAC, namely:
- single box, no clutter, high quality playback from built-in DAC
- usability, e.g. usable without remote, and dual display
- looks
- balanced outputs

Of course, your 100 reasons may differ from mine.

Abhijit, I cannot remember a single post here where a member announced the purchase of a Transporter. Most seem to be quite happy with the SDB3/DACs.

So, you elusive Logan Loving Transporter Owners, come forward and be seen.

... I cannot remember a single post here where a member announced the purchase of a Transporter.
I'm pretty sure there was at least one a few months ago, but I can't for the life of me remember who. You can probably find it via searching if you're interested.

Since Transporter never play cd's

I bought a Transporter in 12-06.
I have a McIntosh MX-135 and MC-206. I bought a McIntosh MCD-201 awhile back and thought it sounded great. I ran a test using the same red book cd in the MCD-201 and on my computer converted as a flac file of the same cd.
I switched back and forth and there was no differance. The MCD-201 cost $1000 more than the Transporter and only plays one disc at a time. I have
2 terabyte's of cd's that I can play without getting up on the Transporter.
I am so pleased I am considering selling the MCD-201. I also have two squeezeboxes that I use on other systems in the house,they work fine but no comparing the sound to the transporter.

I have a transporter. If I could do it over, I'd get a SB3 and a good dac. The transporter sounds great IMO. However, its definately a first release. It has issues, especially with the optical in.

Ah, so we do have two Transporter owners. TWO, one new, out of a much larger number of Squeezebox + DAC owners; that by itself is remarkable, especially because the members of this board tend to own more expensive audio toys.

Kruppy, thanks for dragging discocarp out of the woods. ;)

Discocarp, could you please expand on the Gen 1 issues? I like the dual displays and front panel controls but if there are reliability issues...

Drfiles, :welcome: aboard.

Kruppy, thanks for dragging discocarp out of the woods.

Kruppy never lets me go camping! Seriously though, I've had a very hectic few months hehe. I have one less appendix than I did on my old posts, our buyer fell through on selling our house, and we had to back out of our new house. Its been a rough summer! I still lurk though. :)

As for the transporter, here's the thing. If you are just going to use it to play music from your own server in your house, it works GREAT and sounds even better. I've never had a single lockup when using it to just connect to my home server and stream flacs.

However, if you ever get on squeezenetwork, it seems to lock up somewhat frequently, especially on rhapsody. When I first got it, it was locking up constantly. I went through support and they were able to fix the main bug. So its not worthless for internet streaming now. It DOES still lock up though.

As for the DAC functions, the optical works sometimes. Sometimes not. It can get these incredibly obnoxious grating sounds sometimes out of the blue. If you switch play to the digital coax (or bnc or anything) and back to optical it fixes it. But its really, really obnoxious when it happens. And it happens without warning. The digi coax input seems to work fine, its just the optical. I haven't tried any of the other digital ins.

IMO the transporter is a great start. But it is definately a first gen product, and you have to be willing to live with that. If I had it to do over, I'd probably go for the SB3/dac combo.

Ralflar
You know what’s funny is that I remember the odd ball stuff like who posted what and when but forget the more import stuff like birthdays and appointments.

Disco,
Your appendix is over rated, who needs one for camping….sorry to hear about your difficulties this summer. I’ve noticed you’ve been a bit quiet lately.

Thanks Kruppy. No worries though, I'm through the roughest patches of everything I think. :)

DC, summer will be over soon, and so, hopefully, your troubles :).

Thanks for the info. Those dual displays, can they be configured such that one shows what's Now Playing and the other lets you Browse of Search?

How would you rate the usability of Transporter vs Squeezebox?

And, if you have a silver Transporter, is the face plate glossy or does it look like brushed aluminum?

Those dual displays, can they be configured such that one shows what's Now Playing and the other lets you Browse of Search?

Yep!

How would you rate the usability of Transporter vs Squeezebox?

Its basically the same.

And, if you have a silver Transporter, is the face plate glossy or does it look like brushed aluminum?

It looks like brushed aluminum. I really like the look a lot. Its not cheap gray plastic like the SB3.

For those of you with $$ burning a hole in your pocket, how 'bout the newly announced $2000 Modwright "Truth" Mod for the Transporter! As a happy owner of Dan's SWL 9.0SE, with the tube-rectified power supply, I don't doubt that his Transporter Mod will be something extraordinary.

Mmmm.. I have money burning a hole in my pocket, but its all falling into a reef tank at the moment! But man sleepy, why did you have to show me that? :)

Disco,

If you could quantify audio quality between SB3 vs Transporter vs SB3+DAC.... out of 10.... how would they go?

I can't answer you Joey because I haven't heard the SB3+dac. My reasons for saying I'd go sb3+dac aren't because of the audio quality of the transporter, but the various first gen bugs it has.

I will say that the transporter->krell kav2250->summits sounds insanely good. But, I am not an experienced audiophile. Just a music lover looking for great sound. :)

Back