SL3s and Plinius SA-103

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbanger

Reaction score
My new (to me) SL3s arrived last week and I've been holding off giving them a good listen until my new Plinius SA-103 arrived. FedEx just dropped this beast of an amplifier off - I can't believe how large the box is, I'm going to need a forklift to get this thing out of the box and into my equipment rack. If I can still walk to the computer later, I'll post some system pics. Stay tuned...

I can't believe how large the box is, I'm going to need a forklift to get this thing out of the box and into my equipment rack.
If your rack has sufficient air space above and around the amp (like an open air type rack) or has the ability to significantly cool things down (if closed), great. Otherwise I would look for another location for the amp.

The 102 in Class A mode can run 130-140 degrees F, and I would imagine the 103 would get as hot.

In A/B mode you will have no issues with heat.

Dan

If your rack has sufficient air space above and around the amp (like an open air type rack) or has the ability to significantly cool things down (if closed), great. Otherwise I would look for another location for the amp.

The 102 in Class A mode can run 130-140 degrees F, and I would imagine the 103 would get as hot.

In A/B mode you will have no issues with heat.

Dan

Hi Dan,

I've got a Finite Elemente Pagode rack which is an open air type. I believe this will provide for sufficient cooling, but I'll move it out of the rack if it does not.

I've got a Finite Elemente Pagode rack which is an open air type. I believe this will provide for sufficient cooling, but I'll move it out of the rack if it does not.
They are very nice racks!!! Which model do you have? They can handle the weight of a 103 even on top - but sitting on the bottom would sure give me a better piece of mind :music: .

The heatsinks of the Plinius do a great job of helping to remove the heat as the outsides of the sinks can easily be touched with your hand. Now placing your hand on top of the unit right near the chassis and heat sinks is another story!!!

So my concern was with the heat rising and it located on a lower rack could dry out or affect the shelf above it.

Dan

They are very nice racks!!! Which model do you have? They can handle the weight of a 103 even on top - but sitting on the bottom would sure give me a better piece of mind :music: .

The heatsinks of the Plinius do a great job of helping to remove the heat as the outsides of the sinks can easily be touched with your hand. Now placing your hand on top of the unit right near the chassis and heat sinks is another story!!!

So my concern was with the heat rising and it located on a lower rack could dry out or affect the shelf above it.

Dan

I've got the 4-shelf Pagode Master Reference. I'm definitely going to put the amplifier on the bottom shelf. Still trying to figure out how to get it out of the box without destroying the outer box. I'm not sure I have a choice but to slit one side of the outer box and slide out the inner box. Any other option and I could land myself in a back brace for the next month :D

Last edited:
Hey Banger,
I'd love to come take a look at your Plinius sometime.. Where u at in the Bay area? PM me. I'm in Hayweird.

Tom.

I've got the 4-shelf Pagode Master Reference. I'm definitely going to put the amplifier on the bottom rack. Still trying to figure out how to get it out of the box without destroying the outer box. I'm not sure I have a choice but to slit one side of the outer box and slide out the inner box. Any other option and I could land myself in a back brace for the next month :D
The Master Ref is a great rack - pricey - but very nice.

Getting the amp out is definitely better with two people and should prove no problem that way. Try not to cut the boxes!!!! Maybe a nice young strapping lad lives next door who would want to make $10 for 5 min of worK? There should be handles on both sides of the amp to make things easier.

BigBanger, Congrats on the new "Plinny" , like Dan said be sure to give it plenty of room to breath, for it will surely reward you with some sweet music !!

BB,

Saweet! Nice move on the Plinny! Definitely an amp to behold! I think there are a couple others who have the newer 103... welcome to the Plinius Gang! :)

Joey

Back