SL3s and Denon A/V amps

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bimotarich

Reaction score
I am considering Denon's top of the line A/V amp for my HT set up (AVR 5805 - actually I am looking at a slightly different model that they sell here in Japan but it is almost identical to this but gold not black call an AV1something or other). The dealer expressed some concerns about all Denons' ability to push MLs due to their low impedence. Any thoughts? He recommend Krell or McIntosh but my pocketbook doesnt allow for it... the 5805 is on sale because it is a scratched demo for 40% off - YEAH!)

While the 5805 is an awesome (and HUGE) receiver, its amps are not quite the best for a ML. They will do fine, but you could do better.

If you can bi-amp with it (it has like 1o channels, so you should be able to) then it might be a lighter load on the amp driving just the panel.

However, a good used Sunfire or other high-current amp will sound better than the Denon purely from an amplification standpoint.

The Denon, with its Audysey EQ, will probably improve things more in your room than any amp could, so it's a tough trade-off.

I had a 4802 running my Sequel II's and it did run them very well. When I had more efficient Pinnacle tower speakers with a newer 3805, it wasn't up to where I would have liked, I wasn't as impressed with the 3805 needless to say. I'm sure that 5805 has the better amps though and ought to do a good job.

I have a Krell 400xi right now, which does a great job, and have ran a Musical Fidelity A300, very nice match!

My 4800 ran my Sequels AND my reQuests and it just didn't have the grunt to do it acceptably. The newer logans would probably be OK, but the older ones are so much harder to drive. Do yourself a favor and get an outboard amp to drive them... you will not be sorry.:eek:

For what its worh I briefly ran my Aeon Is with a Denon AVCA11XV which is eqiuivalent to the 4806 (bi wired as well) which is the model below the 5805 and found there was not quite enough grunt to do the speakers justice, especially in the bass department.

You mentioned SL3 in the thread title. Is that what you're using as the source for your system? If it is not the only thing, what are the other sources?

Associated Equipment

I am currently using a Denon AV10SE as the pre/processor and to drive my center and rear channels (all of which are B&Ws). The front mains are ML SL3s and are powered by a seperate Pioneer Elite M-90 amp which does a nice job. My sources are a Sony DVP-9000ES (for video and CD/SACD and a Denon DVD3300 (for DVD-A).
The reason I am wanting to make the switch is to reduce the SIZE of the overall system so that I can get everything into one rack (new baby on the scene). The newer Denon would allow me to get rid of the external amp and eventually connect a Denon DVD3930ci directly which would take care of my DVD-A and SACDs which I currently have seperate players for (and only 2 channel sound for SACD from the Sony). Not to mention I can get it modded to be region free (I use a cheapie no name region free player now for my American Region 1 discs). The sub is an old Yamaha (forget the model number but it is freakin huge).

If I switch to the Denon, I will Bi Amp all my speakers with it, since it has 10 amps and I have a 5.1 system.

The Denon, with its Audysey EQ, will probably improve things more in your room than any amp could, so it's a tough trade-off.[/QUOTE]

Yes I think this may be one of its best selling points. And I would bi amp everything!

The new range of Martin Logans can be easily driven by a high end receiver like the big Denon. I guess the Denon will be okay with the SL3's and to discern any significant improvement in sound quality over the Denon would require you to go to a quality pre-power combination. Especially if you try the bi-amp option.

One thing though. The Denon looks as though it's gone a few rounds with Mike Tyson in his heyday - or someone has attacked it and then beaten it severely with an ugly stick... Just my opinion. ;)

But I can't argue with the sound quality. :music:

Back