Sl3

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braminator

Reaction score
Can I use a y adapter to by amp the speakers. are speaker leads better to hook up or rcs's?

I think what you are suggesting is half attempt to bi-wire the speakers---and a jumper effectivly does the same thing.

Dominick

My SL3s have two sets of posts ... I can bi-amp without having to split.

Do you just have one set?

Bram, you need to explain more clearly what you are trying to do. Do you mean "bi-wire" rather than "bi-amp?" Bi-wire means running two different speaker wires from your amp to your speakers, one for the bass and one for the upper frequencies. If so, you would be using speaker connectors (not rca) and a speaker wire that is designed as a bi-wire cable (meaning it has two leads at one end and four leads at the other end. I imagine you can create your own bi-wire cable by joining the ends of two leads at one end and having the other ends separate (ultimately creating a speaker cable that is one long y-adapter). I don't know how much benefit you will really see from this, though. I have done it before and didn't notice any real difference.

Bi-amp means running each speaker off of two different amps, which means you would have two cables for each channel coming from your preamp to two different amps. If you only have one set of outputs on your preamp, you would then use a y-connector (rca cable) to split the signal and send half to the amp that runs the bass and half to the amp that runs the upper frequencies. You would then have two separate speaker cables (from two separate amps) running to each speaker. I have done this also with the Martin Logans and noticed a huge positive difference in the quality of sound.

SOrry what I meant was, that the receiver is a stereo model with 1 set of rcs outs for an extra amp. Can I use a y splitter to use 2 amps?

Hey Bram, I think you mean RCA outputs. If so, yes, you can do this. You will have very little signal loss if you only split the signal once. I guess you have four channels of power you'll be using. What kind of amp/amps will you be running?

Back