SL3 mods ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernard991

Reaction score
I have a spare set of SL3's and would like to do some work to them ....
anyone done anything like XO mods ...caps etc ?
thanks

Hi Bernard,

I did several mods including internal cabinet / bass driver dampening, experimenting with various weights on top of the bass module, adding Mapleshade brass cones to the speaker, and adjusting the vertical rake angle of the speaker. All were significant individually. The aggregate improvement, for minor dollaras, was very impressive and well worthwile.

Go to the search mode and see if you can find.

If you can't, I'll provide details.

GG

Gord sounds interesting ...I will try to find ot
did you do anything to the XO at all ?
cheers
Bernard

Bernard,

No I didn't. But if you get into the bass cabinet, you can vary the amount of "batting" you put back in, which changes the "Q" value.

GG

I have a spare set of SL3's and would like to do some work to them ....
anyone done anything like XO mods ...caps etc ?
thanks

If you'd like to see just how far one can 'mod' an SL3, please click on my SL3XC element in my sig.

As for mods, upgrading caps and stuff is a good exercise if staying with passives. The other mod I'm eager to do is to upgrade the ESL audio transformer. The stock one has pretty serious HF roll-off that I can see without the factory x-over in front of it EQ'ing.

Last edited:
Hi Bernard,

I did several mods including internal cabinet / bass driver dampening, experimenting with various weights on top of the bass module, adding Mapleshade brass cones to the speaker, and adjusting the vertical rake angle of the speaker. All were significant individually. The aggregate improvement, for minor dollaras, was very impressive and well worthwile.

Go to the search mode and see if you can find.

If you can't, I'll provide details.

GG

Gordon - I searched but couldn't find your SL3 mod posts.
I'm interested to see if they can translate to my Ascents. Can you point us to them?

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Will do. Have been out of town. Saw Holly Cole live in Seattle. :D

Will find my post and provide info today or tomorrow.

GG

Jon your mod is very impressive to say the least ...!
I was thinking of opening the cabinet and reworking some of the passive components ...any idea which ESL transformer might be a good replacement ?

GG I bet Holly C was good !?

Latest posts

Back