Should I even bother getting ML speakers?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seating that is three wide

This alone would push me in another direction, other than M/L, but then again I'm mighty anal with respect to the 'sweet spot'.

IMO, there are much better horizontally dispersioning speakers than electrostatics in general.

Now with regards to your close proxemity of side walls this could be an advantage for M/L.

Myself I bought mine first and foremost for music, if I were to design a home theater I doubt very much if would employ M/L.

Well the center seat is *my* seat... :)

Its rarely anyone other than me, and sometimes my wife, watching a movie. And no one listens to music with me. Music is easily as important to me as movies.

my 2 pennies worth...

Music to me is more important than movies - but I watch movies just the same - and find that I definitely want good sound for movies... I have Odysseys (L/R) with a paradigm center & 2 paradigm mini monitors for rears as well as a ML descent for the sub. Music is great / movies - I think are great as well.... You wouldn't think the paradigm/odyssey combo would blend very well - and from a perfectionist point of view - it may not. But, I think it sounds great... I think movies are all about the sub... the center channel is of course really important (I wouldn't use a phantom) for dialogue, but to me I listen to the dialogue - but get my bang for the buck from the sub.... I never listen to a movie and say 'Wow, listen to how great that dialogue sounds'.... but, I do say 'Did you feel the room shake when that bomb went off?'

As far as the Denon receiver w/Summit.... hmmmm..... not sure if the low impedence would give you grief with the receiver....you would be best served to get an outboard amp - and use your denon for the decoders... But, maybe others have had success here. To sum it up though -- I would NEVER hesitate on the Summits.... if music is your thang.....I'd worry about the other stuff later...

i agree

If this is for HT use, I would think again. For HT, the center channel is one of the most important--most dialog comes from it. I would recommend getting a center speaker that is voiced similarly to your L & R fronts. Fortunately, ML make some rather tasty center speakers too! (The Stage would probably be the best match for the Summits.)
the center channel is your movie dialogue....
when gunshots are flying around you and stuff is blowing up
sorry, i got excited there for a minute....

Back