Shanghai Hi Fi

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sebrof2000

Reaction score
I’ve been traveling in Asia for the last week or so, and I’m currently in Shanghai. I haven’t heard any descent music since I left home. While I was in the Shanghai office the guys were telling me that I needed to go check out the cheap imitation watches, golf clubs, handbags, and other such useless things. I pulled up a picture of an old tube amp I used to own and told them that they make a lot of these in China, and that's what I wanted to find. I didn't really think they would have any ideas, but before I knew it they handed me an address. After work, one of my associates who speaks Mandarin and I drove to who knows where to a little shop called Muse Audio and Coffee Bar. A little coffee shop on the bottom, and up in what was basically a finished attic was probably over $50,000 (in US retail value) of amplifiers, CD players, speakers, and tubes. Amazing. Jolida electronics, and Shenda (if I remember right) electronics which he told me were identical to Jolida but targeted for the local market (they looked almost identical). Speakers were Rogers, Spendor, and Dynaudio.
We listened to the Jolida CD player (JD100, which I own at home), a Jolida 801 integrated (2 KT88s per side), and then the Jolida preamp and Music Envoy monoblocks (150 wpc I believe), with both Dynaudio monitors and Dynaudio floorstanders.
The dude didn't speak English, and it was a tough translation, but it was fun checking the stuff out. He seemed thrilled to show off his gear, running downstairs to get cables, moving speakers in and out, hooking up different amplifiers. It was rather surreal sitting there in the middle of Shanghai, listening to the Eagles Live Hotel California, the proprietor studying my face for any sign of whether or not I liked what I was hearing. I gave him about 100 thumbs up signs throughout, which I believe translates directly.
2 members I was thinking of were Fabio (AKA KrellYourWorld) who lives in Shanghai and Steve (AKA slowGEEZR) who owns that beautiful Jolida amp.
Sorry for the crummy mobile phone picture.
Mike
Muse Audio: No. 3 Dong Hu Road. Post 200031. Shanghai. Tel: (021)64453551.

Attachments

• Shanghai Audio.jpg
    Shanghai Audio.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 426
Back