Sequel 2: Assorted questions from new user.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horace

Reaction score
Hello

My first post here (other than my brief hello in the new members section).

I've just acquired my first pair of MLs - some rather nice Sequel 2s.

I'm driving them with a Marantz PM17 KI Sig, which copes surprisingly well and sounds terrific at low to moderate levels, but I rather suspect an amp with more juice is called for. I'm finding the bass very rich, tight and deep (the Sequel 2 are the first large speakers to work well in my room) but female vocals are a challenge to the Marantz at anything like realistic levels.

A few questions:

I realise that at some point I will need to fit new electrostatic panels and am guessing these will not be cheap. Does anyone know how much a pair of these are likely to cost (I am in the UK)?

What are the telltale signs of failing panels?

Would a Krell KAV-300i be a good match? Which other amps should I be considering? My budget would be about £1000 for a used amp.

I'd be grateful for any useful tips or info you think might be useful to a new Sequel 2 user - anything from positioning advice to links to useful info on the web.

Many thanks

Martin

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Hello

My first post here (other than my brief hello in the new members section).

I've just acquired my first pair of MLs - some rather nice Sequel 2s.

I'm driving them with a Marantz PM17 KI Sig, which copes surprisingly well and sounds terrific at low to moderate levels, but I rather suspect an amp with more juice is called for. I'm finding the bass very rich, tight and deep (the Sequel 2 are the first large speakers to work well in my room) but female vocals are a challenge to the Marantz at anything like realistic levels.

A few questions:

I realise that at some point I will need to fit new electrostatic panels and am guessing these will not be cheap. Does anyone know how much a pair of these are likely to cost (I am in the UK)?

What are the telltale signs of failing panels?

Would a Krell KAV-300i be a good match? Which other amps should I be considering? My budget would be about £1000 for a used amp.

I'd be grateful for any useful tips or info you think might be useful to a new Sequel 2 user - anything from positioning advice to links to useful info on the web.

Many thanks

Martin

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Well as for the cost and signs of failing panels I would urge you to either call the Kansas Office for ML or since the phone bill might be ridiculous just email them. They can give you the full low down. I have never down these speakers so I really cant help you with that question but there are people at ML who can.

I have heard the Krell Evo 420's (I am not familiar with the Krell line) on the CLX 25th and it was simply amazing. Female vocals were stunning, as well as, everything else. I personally couldn't hear any bad part of that setup.

I am sorry about being so vague but I did just want to share my two cents.

Search around on the site to learn about amplifiers. TONS of info here.

ML panels can be cleaned with a vacuum cleaner, or even taken into the shower and cleaned. There are instructions on how to do that also on the site.. Look at the sticky notes in the main discussion forum.

Sometimes it's hard to tell when your panels need replacement, especially if you have no frame of reference of what they sounded like when new. Even for those of us who bought new and kept the speakers for years and years, the degradation of the sound quality happens so gradually that you may not hear it. When I had my Sequels, I just knew they needed help when they didn't take my breath away any longer. A tell tale sign, however, is when one of the speakers doesn't play as loudly as the other. You can compensate by adjusting the output level on your preamp or receiver, but it's just a matter of time before the panels will have to be replaced.

New panels are expensive, especially if you are overseas, because you have to purchase them thru an authorized ML dealer. We've all heard horror stories about the cost for overseas owners..

Use the serial number decoder (also on a sticky on the main discussion forum) and find out the age of your speakers. That's a first step. Then learn how to keep them clean. learn about placement and how to get the most out of them.. Then just enjoy them. At some point you may want new panels.. Or maybe you'll want to upgrade to a newer ML... Lots of advantages to doing that... better integration between subwoofer and panel, easier to drive and of course, replacing the panels won't be something you'll have to worry about for awhile.

good luck and welcome to the MLO site.

Last edited:
Back