selling the sizzle...PS Audio DACIII

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
Ok - here is the deal -- some of you guys got me hot and heavy on this PS Audio DAC III.... The spousal unit says I 'don't need that' - and I probably don't...but..... So, before I pull out my bag of tricks - I really gotta know if this thing is worth it. I would be using a Denon 5900 as my CDP.

My very shallow Bag 'o tricks: (Please add more tricks - we are a brotherhood)...
1) Tax time -- we will be getting money back
2) She gets her nails done and a massage once a month @ approx 150 dollars (I don't get my nails done - nor do I get massages).
3) PS Audio - is an American company right??? :)
4) This DAC sets us up for the future (server) while making our present cd sound better!!

For those that have it - tell me it is worth pulling out all the stops... Also - if more failproof tricks can be had - it would be appreciated (because this is about trickery isn't it?)... :)

You don't "need" it? We all have our hobbies and as far as I'm concerned audio is a good, clean, above-board hobby.

Your wife no doubt has her hobbies too - my wife has just been to Perth for the Australian rowing championships, so I went out and got a Shynyata Hydra (That sounds bad - I really do try not to make it tit-for-tat, but in this case I couldn't help it). Point is though - she has her hobbies (that cost money) and I have my hobbies (that sometimes cost a bit more, but who's counting?)

Go out, get the DAC and enjoy your music.

Last edited:
My View..

1. It's easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission
2. The DAC would be less than makeup/hair/manicure, etc
3. I've met all my commitments so the rest is mine (she'll find all the excuses, mortgage, retirement, etc)

But most of all.. It's an awesome DAC. In Canada, there's no special pricing and do the dollar conversion.. it really sucks.. but in the end, it's definitely worth it. I have absolutely no regrets even-though I know the DAC can put out more than my system can do (for now)

Go ahead and enjoy!

You guys are 'da boss'!!! I pulled the tax return thing today... and she did the 'we'll see'... Its in the bag boys!! :) It may be a few months down the road -- I am hoping it is still around at that point - and the deal is still on for it..... Anyway - I go to the tax man tomorrow....I'll see if I can get an estimate out of him...

last night we rented Twilight on BluRay and I opened up the cabinet.. well, the better half said 'what's that, I've never seen that before'. I went on to explain that she has and reminder her about our DAC conversation. She doesn't remember and probably tuned out. New DAC, zero pain.
Though she would notice going from the Clarity to the Vista and this would be a longer conversation so I keep dropping hints.
I'm pretty lucky that she tunes out on technology. Other than that, she's the best!

Here's the one you want:

http://www.nekoaudio.com/

I got a call from Wesley Miaw at Neko Audio about a month back and he was a very nice guy, told me he was just starting out, that he had a new take on DAC design and thought he had something pretty special.

Unfortunately, the box arrived the day before I went to New York for the week, but I managed to get it out of the box this week and do some serious listening.

Review is forthcoming, but after listening to almost everything else in the 800-1500 range, I'd put the Neko at the top. By far the most musical DAC in this price range I've ever heard.

He sells direct and offers a 30 day money back guarantee, so how can you lose?

This one is a real winner....

Jeff,

Why did you have to go and open that box?:confused:

We were all very happy with our Digital Link IIIs which we bought on your recommendation and now what........:D

Okay, at least give us more than just review is coming. In short, how much better than the Digital Link III is the NEKO and why?

Damn, I am gonna have to stop reading your posts, it is getting way too expensive.

Jeff,

Why did you have to go and open that box?:confused:

We were all very happy with our Digital Link IIIs which we bought on your recommendation and now what........:D

Okay, at least give us more than just review is coming. In short, how much better than the Digital Link III is the NEKO and why?

Damn, I am gonna have to stop reading your posts, it is getting way too expensive.

You don't have to sell your digital link because something new has come out, that's life in the world of high end audio. This one really took me by surprise.

One thing the Neko does not do is offer a USB input, so if you need that, the Benchmark or the PS are still going to be the way to go.

This is just like the Summit/summit x debate. Enjoy what you have and re-evaluate in a year or two when you have the itch to try something else. No need to panic.

You don't have to sell your digital link because something new has come out, that's life in the world of high end audio.
Yepper.

But sometimes people just have to spend money driving themselves nuts always looking for the latest greatest or sonic nirvana.

EDIT: Like Jeff (Tone) stated, listen to your rig, get used to the sound of it, then in a year or so, look what else might be out there. Changing things in our rigs is part of the fun, but we can get seriously off track from enjoying the music.

Sit back and enjoy what you have and listen to the music.

Last edited:
Here's the one you want:

http://www.nekoaudio.com/

I got a call from Wesley Miaw at Neko Audio about a month back and he was a very nice guy, told me he was just starting out, that he had a new take on DAC design and thought he had something pretty special.

Unfortunately, the box arrived the day before I went to New York for the week, but I managed to get it out of the box this week and do some serious listening.

Review is forthcoming, but after listening to almost everything else in the 800-1500 range, I'd put the Neko at the top. By far the most musical DAC in this price range I've ever heard.

He sells direct and offers a 30 day money back guarantee, so how can you lose?

This one is a real winner....

Jeff - given the price diff - 695 to 1295.... You think the comparison between the two is a blowout? Have you ever heard the cullen circuit stage III mod on the ps audio... it is 1390.... I would wonder whether the cullen mod could bring up the ps audio to this dac... if it could -- then the ps audio is still the winner here because
1) I have flexibility - can mod later if I choose to get the extra improvement
2) Have both rca / balanced outputs on the ps audio
3) have the usb on the ps audio for more future flexibility.

So, if you can expand a bit more -

Question to others - I have a denon 5900.... If a hook up the dacIII - am I going to get the 'wow - this is huge!!' improvement .. do you think? (I have sunfire gear plus odysseys...) I currently hook my denon up via analog...

My reply to Jeff was actually in jest, sort of.

I just wanted to remind him that some of us.....okay probably just me. Have found him to be correct in his assessment of various products he has reviewed and some of us.....okay probably just me, have taken his recommendations to heart and bought at least two....okay three pieces as a direct result of his product reviews.

I am perfectly satisfied with the PS Audio Digital Link III DAC at the moment. And actually the only thing I have considered was the Cullen Stage III or IV upgrade.

So as timm stated, with the big delta in price between the PS Audio and the NEKO and the added flexibility of the PS Audio Digital Link III with USB and upgradeable Via Cullen, IMO the PS Audio is the best fit for me.

Although, after I read Jeff's review I may change my mind.....just kidding timm.:D

My reply to Jeff was actually in jest, sort of.

I just wanted to remind him that some of us.....okay probably just me. Have found him to be correct in his assessment of various products he has reviewed and some of us.....okay probably just me, have taken his recommendations to heart and bought at least two....okay three pieces as a direct result of his product reviews.

I am perfectly satisfied with the PS Audio Digital Link III DAC at the moment. And actually the only thing I have considered was the Cullen Stage III or IV upgrade.

So as timm stated, with the big delta in price between the PS Audio and the NEKO and the added flexibility of the PS Audio Digital Link III with USB and upgradeable Via Cullen, IMO the PS Audio is the best fit for me.

Although, after I read Jeff's review I may change my mind.....just kidding timm.:D

OK... did I mention I am a Michigan State University grad?? MSU WINS....going to the final four baby!!! sorry... ahem.. Hey - no problemo JMAUSGP... Glad you agree with my points - and thank you Jeff for chiming in - All reviews are - of course limited to the products you have auditioned... But, it would be appreciated if you have any other info on the Cullen mods - and again if you could expand a bit on the diffs between the two and whether they are very large diffs or something that might be heard in a direct A/B test... thx. tim.

That's what the review is for...

We won't be covering the modded version, as I'm just not a big fan of modded gear. However, your point is excellent that you can pick up a PS Audio for 700 bucks now and mod it later, does make good sense.

At the time the question was asked about the Digital Link, I had not yet received the Neko. Especially at this price point, there is always something new to listen to. And as I mentioned, the flexibility of the PS makes it a better choice for different users. That is one of the reasons the Channel Islands DAC is not a fit for everyone either.

I'll have the review wound up pretty quickly and it will be in the Spotlight section of our website soon.

Pulled the trigger--PS Audio DACIII

I'd been looking at getting a DAC and since I can't demo them locally I decided to order up the PS Audio due to positive reviews and the comments here! Can't wait!:rocker:

Chuchill - what is your current front end??

My CDP is a Lexicon RT-20 Universal player and I'm also running a Squeezebox Classic for my lossless library. I was mainly going to use the DAC with the Squeezebox as the Lexicon has decent innards (24-bit/192kHz D/A), but it'll be interesting to see if I'll get improvement out of the Lexicon as well. This DAC also allows for future system flexibility!

Wow!

Well the PS Audio DACIII arrived this afternoon and its been non stop tunes ever since! This is a great sounding DAC and built like a tank! I think this is great buy for 700 bones, wow!:music:

Latest posts

Back