Sacrilege, can hear the dog bark - added tweeter

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kach22i

Reaction score
Somehow conventional wisdom says it's okay to add a subwoofer to your Martin Logan's but not a tweeter/supertweeter.

Well I don't care because I can hear the dog moan, sigh, lick his chops and bark in Holly Cole's song "Temptation" (on CD). I can hear all the change being thrown, cymbals and high-hats on Pink Floyd's "Money" (master recording vinyl LP).

One of the few questionable sound anomalies so far is a bit of a lisp on David Lake's "Luck Man" where he says; white laCe and feathers. However, for all I know that's the way it's supposed to sound. There is also a bit more surface noise on the really poor used LP's, but the added information more than makes up for the nuisance.

I've had these tweeters for 20-25 years, used them with my old AudioLab speakers and recently in my HT system too add some depth by rear facing them off the center channel.

I switched the wire leads out of phase because it's rear firing. Tried it both ways, in phase was like adding a second hit to the cymbals each time.

I was drawn to do this because I recently hooked up my subwoofer and made changes to the materials under the rear speaker spike which added more bass. On the rear spike I took out the composite grinder disc and pine shim and replaced it with a maple sample for a church pew. The extra bass lopsided the presentation and I wanted to gain more top end to balance it out. However my frequency tuning by using different foundation materials was at it's limit and adding a stridency which I had not anticipated.

I added throw pillows in the corner and behind the bass drivers, it helped just a little. For serious listening I add even more pillows.
ST-FRONT.jpg

Getting even more serious a heavy wool blanket covers the TV screen.
ST-BLANKET.jpg

Rat Shack, who would have thunk?
ST-REAR.jpg

Realistic.;)
ST-DETAIL.jpg

The angle is similar to before, nearly straight up.
ST-LEVEL2.jpg

Maple on steel, on pegboard, on aluminum foil RF barrier, on sand, on MDF, on tiny rubber feet on oak flooring on wood planks on wood joist which create the basement ceiling.
ST-SPIKE-MAPLE.jpg

The proof of this is in the sound, and it sounds great for an original 1992 Aerius based system.

My cat was very interested in the tweeters when I had them operating on the floor for initial testing. She is attracted to the VCR motor sound as well.

I think there's a job waiting for you at MartinLogan in the product development department....

The angle is similar to before, nearly straight up.
ST-LEVEL2.jpg

Maple on steel, on pegboard, on aluminum foil RF barrier, on sand, on MDF, on tiny rubber feet on oak flooring on wood planks on wood joist which create the basement ceiling.
ST-SPIKE-MAPLE.jpg

The proof of this is in the sound, and it sounds great for an original 1992 Aerius based system.

My cat was very interested in the tweeters when I had them operating on the floor for initial testing. She is attracted to the VCR motor sound as well.

The tweeters that you want to add to your MLs are Sequerra ribbons.You need a separate amp for them-under 25 watts.No additional crossover is required,and they have built in attenuation.The T1s or T9s should work fine.

The tweeters that you want to add to your MLs are Sequerra ribbons.You need a separate amp for them-under 25 watts.No additional crossover is required,and they have built in attenuation.The T1s or T9s should work fine.

Found it (T-1), lists for $4,000, used one for sale on Audiogon for $2,000. I cannot find information about the T-9, not even a photo.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1260490917
Sequerra Ribbon Super Tweeter will improve any speaker at any cost. These are extremely rare and impossible to get or find used.

Way out of my price range, but it's good to dream.:p

Manufacturer link/specifications:
http://www.sequerra.com/electronics/data/index.htm

EDIT: short T-9 thread at gon
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1219236214&openflup&1&4#1

Attachments

• Tweeter.jpg
    Tweeter.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,302
Last edited:
How's your CRT enjoying all those nearby magnets, especially the large woofer magnets? My 32 inch Panasonic hates my SL3 being closer than about 3 feet. But I am going to try a blanket over the whole thing next time the missus leaves...

How's your CRT enjoying all those nearby magnets, especially the large woofer magnets? My 32 inch Panasonic hates my SL3 being closer than about 3 feet. But I am going to try a blanket over the whole thing next time the missus leaves...
I've never had a problem with this set-up.

In the FAQ section of the below PDF it says to keep the Aerius-i woofer at least a foot away from the TV, and I have that one foot with my original Aerius. I measured with a tape, the cabinet is of course closer.

http://www.us.martinlogan.com/pdf/manuals/manual_aerius_i.pdf

My old Audiolab speakers (Fisher drivers) I used back in the 1980's had to be kept two or three feet away from my RCA 17" TV.

I tossed the torn up pillows, these large ones help tame the treble which I could hear over time on FM broadcasts and off angle.

Pad-2.jpg

Pad-1.jpg

I cut up some old mouse pad material and doubled it up under the tweeters as well.

Last edited:
Back