Rogue Audio Preamp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My opinion of the SLP-98 differs from Joey's.
I've had them both in my house for an audition, and the 99 came out on top.
This could be a simple case of synergy, the 99 was just a better match to the Stereo 90 then the SLP-98.
The 99 was much more dynamic and had a bigger and more fuller soundstage.
The SLP-98 was more laid back, and lacked some detail.
On the other hand, the SLP-98 had a more natural sound than the 99.

Pre/power matching is extremely important. A preamp may sound amazing in one system and sound less than good in another system - you just have to listen for yourself and decide...

I could almost agree with you as this was the "sizzle" factor that I heard also. But when all was taken into account, the inherent "added detail" was not realistic to me and it was something that felt unnatural. The sizzle felt a little out of control at times and felt a little "shouty" especially with vocals.

Just my opinion.

Joey, I know what you mean........ ahhhhhhhh the glow of the tubes !!

Unless one has kids close by, I don't care how "prime" the room is they all have that warm beauty attached to them !!

So true... so true, Dave!

Yeah, I'm with you and Dave too. Almost as comforting as a fireplace.

I guess that's a northern thing. It was 82 degreess here yesterday in S Florida. A fireplace isn't very comforting to us.... almost like the funk of exposed tubes...it's a presonal thing I guess.

I guess that's a northern thing. It was 82 degreess here yesterday in S Florida. A fireplace isn't very comforting to us.... almost like the funk of exposed tubes...it's a presonal thing I guess.

So what preamp are you getting or interested in now Jerry?

Yeah, I'm with you and Dave too. Almost as comforting as a fireplace.

I hear ya, Tim. It's freezing here in Chicago now.... true Bears weather... I had to go Class A on the Plinius last night to help with the warmth! :eek:

Joey :)

had to go Class A on the Plinius last night to help with the warmth! Joey :)

Yeah baby, cookin' hot dogs on mine right now !!, to get ready for the game .....Go Bears !!!!

So what preamp are you getting or interested in now Jerry?

Ok, life has it's interesting twists and turns. In lieu of the Pass Labs amp, I just picked up a pair of mint Aragon Palladium 1K monoblocks on Agon for the right price. I'm used to (and enjoy) the sound of Aragon as I'm currently powering the Summits off 2 channels of a 3005. The Palladiums are kick ass 600 wpc into the 4 ohms of the Summit, and.... the first 125 watts are class A. Yes they run very hot! The only issue now is that the Palladiums are balanced input only, so now I need to seek out a balanced preamp....any sugestions?

Ok, life has it's interesting twists and turns. In lieu of the Pass Labs amp, I just picked up a pair of mint Aragon Palladium 1K monoblocks on Agon for the right price. I'm used to (and enjoy) the sound of Aragon as I'm currently powering the Summits off 2 channels of a 3005. The Palladiums are kick ass 600 wpc into the 4 ohms of the Summit, and.... the first 125 watts are class A. Yes they run very hot! The only issue now is that the Palladiums are balanced input only, so now I need to seek out a balanced preamp....any sugestions?

I'm a big fan of and will continue to recommend Balanced Audio Technology. I run the Vk-31SE with a solid state BAT amp and find it a wonderful combination.

I'm a big fan of and will continue to recommend Balanced Audio Technology. I run the Vk-31SE with a solid state BAT amp and find it a wonderful combination.

Thanks Tim

I've been looking at both the 31SE and the 51SE. They seem like incredible products! Does your VK31SE have the phono board or do you use an external solution?

Last edited:
Thanks Tim

I've been looking at both the 31SE and the 51SE. They seem like incredible products! Does your VK31SE have the phono board or do you use an external solution?

BAT would be a good choice, so would some ARC pres.

Back